Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 04-07-2016, 10:57 AM
mattysams

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
NS522 reworked

I bought this rifle over ten years ago for $150. The trigger was gritty creepy and full of over travel and the action was rough and hard. But the gun was accurate with a decent stock so I put a cheap scope on it, in the cheap rings it came with and stuck it in the back of the safe as a loner gun. It acquired some character over the years getting bumped around the safe and lent out to friends and family but is still in good shape. Recently I saw an article about these guns being diamonds in the rough and how they clean up with out much work or special tooling so I decided to start a project. The gun was a little heavier than I like so I sent it out to have the barrel shortened and threaded. In the meantime I stoned and polished the trigger and added a set screw to eliminate over-travel and made a lighter spring. I also polished the bolt and firing pin components. When the gun came back I polished the receiver and action then glass and pillar bedded the rifle in the stock and touched up everything with cold blue. I put Burris signature rings on it and a sightron big sky scope I got on sale for $275 about the same time I got the rifle. Rifle came out fantastic shooting sub-half inch groups all day with SK ammo. Trigger is now crisp clean consistent 1.5#'s and the action is silky smooth. Definitely one of my better purchases, although its not a cooper or anschutz I cant imagine finding a better gun for under the $500 I have into it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0132.jpg (463.9 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0131.jpg (338.8 KB, 20 views)
Old 04-07-2016, 11:12 AM
Chromie

TPC Rating: 
94% (28)
Sweet rig
Old 05-12-2016, 09:44 PM
minimouse

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Nice gun. I have a couple of those, one of them worked over by J.C. Blauvelt many years ago. The 522 is a good shooting rifle. Here's a pic, with sunlight dancing off the spirals on the barrel.

Last edited by minimouse; 05-12-2016 at 11:29 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2016, 08:50 AM
Hippy

TPC Rating: 
78% (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by minimouse View Post
Nice gun. I have a couple of those, one of them worked over by J.C. Blauvelt many years ago. The 522 is a good shooting rifle. Here's a pic, with sunlight dancing off the spirals on the barrel.

Nice Job Is J.C still in Business--I don't hear much from him anymore ?

Jim
Old 05-13-2016, 08:12 PM
Vincent
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Please excuse my ignorance

Is this one of the many Chinese Norinco copies of other rifles that were import banned by the Clinton Presidential Order?

We were just talking today about some of these various rifles that were really pretty nice variations on the original. The one we were talking about was a Norinco AK copy in .223 that was much nicer than any other AK I ever shot and the only one I would have wanted to own.

Do not get me wrong I do not want to start a political debate here and it could be said he also protected the US gun industry from a flood of cheap (as in inexpensive because they seem well built) firearms that could have hurt our industry in an already bad time.

Of course the 1994 Assault Weapons Ban hurt the same companies.

Amazing what one guy can do with just a pen and a piece of paper isn't it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzOn6GqNFdk

Last edited by Vincent; 05-13-2016 at 08:16 PM.
Old 05-14-2016, 12:59 AM
minimouse

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Jim, J.C. is still at it as far as I know. I contacted him about two years ago to see if he would do my second NS-522 in the manner he had done the first one. He told me he was still doing action work on the 522, but no longer did stock work (such as pillar and glass bedding). He also moved his shop from upstate New York to eastern PA because of the political climate in NY.

Vincent, the NS-522 action is sometimes said to be a copy of an early Suhl action, but I don't know enough about the Suhl to have my own opinion. The rifle is commonly called a Keng's NS-522. Keng's Firearms Specialities of Atlanta imported the 522 barrelled actions, then fitted them to walnut stocks provided by Bishop. The actions themselves were built in China on machinery purchased from Austria. And, yes, the importation of these were stopped by some political machinations. Only 2000 or so are said to have been built before importation of them was halted.

Last edited by minimouse; 05-14-2016 at 01:02 AM.
Old 05-14-2016, 06:48 PM
Vincent

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
I am going to be a good boy and not say a word......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzOn6GqNFdk
Old 05-30-2016, 02:38 PM
Thomasconnor

TPC Rating: 
100% (76)
Brochure

Brochure...Tom

Old 07-04-2016, 04:49 PM
Don Stith

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
A few of these got fit with an Anschutz 5071 trigger. Great little rifle
Old 07-30-2016, 10:33 PM
mattysams

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
I looked into putting an anschutz trigger on mine but couldn't find any models that wouldn't require substantial fitting and altercation. The factory trigger although a simple design is robust and well made. I also didn't want to spend more money tweaking the rifle than I paid for it although they have good bones and some smart design features. My only gripes would be the rough tooling marks left on the receiver and trigger guard, the aluminum magwell, the cheap overpriced magazines and the stock is a little bulky in the fore end. That being said I wouldn't pay more than $400 for a stock one.
Old 08-07-2016, 07:49 PM
diopter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Stith View Post
A few of these got fit with an Anschutz 5071 trigger. Great little rifle
What modifications had to be made to fit the Anschütz 5071 trigger to the NS 522?