Old 10-30-2017, 01:35 PM
CraigC
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BulletBait View Post
Sorry to hear your extended problem.
Putting an additional $350+ toward a Single 10 is not an option to some shooters. I've got the Ruger and Colt 22's, but my RR's have their slot. My $185 Heritage 3 1/2" Birdshead is just as functional as the much more expensive Shopkeeper.
Every time this subject comes up and folks bring up the price difference, using the worse possible comparison (usually quoting new Ruger MSRP vs Heritage rock-bottom sale prices), I go to Gunbroker and find several used Single Sixes for $300 or less.
Old 10-30-2017, 09:06 PM
A square 10
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
yup , and i picked up a nice colt for a little less than that even - it was a converted 3840 and is that full sized SAA that shoots 22lr in a traditional piece ,
Old 10-30-2017, 09:39 PM
BulletBait

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
CraigC
The posters option was for the Single 10 which aren't that cheap or try to find a used one. A bit different than the Six
Quote:
"At the end of the day: Wish I'd have just put the $ toward a Ruger Single Ten"

Last edited by BulletBait; 10-30-2017 at 09:59 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2017, 12:44 PM
dogngun
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Well, I DID buy an older Colt SAA .22 - Buntline! that I found in a regional gun shop for dirt cheap...I cleaned it up, put it in a gun sock and put it away...then, because I thought a SA .22 was a good idea, I bought a new Rough Rider with both cylinders, 4 5/8" with case color frame...It's a very solid little revolver, locks up and indexes perfectly, and has that goofy safety, so I can load them all.
OK, it's not a beauty queen, but it does what it is supposed to do, and it's a versatile little gun, very useful, and a good deal!...And the old Colt will sell for about 3 times what I paid for it.
Old 11-02-2017, 05:20 PM
shirtz1

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
Every time this subject comes up and folks bring up the price difference, using the worse possible comparison (usually quoting new Ruger MSRP vs Heritage rock-bottom sale prices), I go to Gunbroker and find several used Single Sixes for $300 or less.
Every time this comes up on the Rough Rider posting, we can count on 1 individual to ride in and make all RR's sound like junk. I suggest you take your $300 single six and go have fun with it. Leave us poor 'slobs" that prefer a revolver that doesn't break the bank to buy. We danced on this subject before, but some people just have to get their digs in. If you don't like them, why are you even bothering to click on the post??
Old 11-02-2017, 06:00 PM
StuartJ12
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
That Heritage Rough Rider forum came up when I clicked on the link.

When my sister and I tried to shoot her husbands Ruger Single Six we discovered it had a problem. It could only be loaded with 5 rounds because the 6th spent cartridge would stick. The only way to get it out was to actually remove the cylinder with the cartridge still in there. And then hit that cartridge really hard with screw driver. We gave up after having to do that twice. Hopefully my brother-in-law cleaning the gun fixed that.
Old 01-14-2018, 11:06 AM
RobinA
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eshooter View Post
Just got this case hardened 6.5" & I'm quite pleased! It's my first single action revolver & for $150 it's the right price point. Got it to shoot for fun & cycle snake shot loads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.
I've the same one....it's a keeper !! $129.00 without the mag. cyl.

Robin
Old 01-14-2018, 12:58 PM
ronnie948
US Army Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
over 2,500 rounds and still like brand new

I have a rough rider with both cylinders and most of the time I shoot crap ammo that I can get really cheap.
I have a little more then 2,500 rounds of long rifle and about 200 rounds of 22 magnum through it and the gun is still as tight as it was brand new.
I paid $132.20 total for the gun with both cylinders and it was the best $$$$ I ever spent.
It is just a nice fun gun to enjoy shooting.
Ronnie
Old 01-19-2018, 06:05 PM
bluzman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My Rough Rider - definitely fun to shoot, surprisingly well made for the price, and pretty accurate when I do my part.

Old 01-19-2018, 08:29 PM
BulletBait

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
https://tinyurl.com/yc79h7lu
I put these yellowed epoxy panels on my 9"er. A slight amount of sanding reqd for a good fit. I like these better thAn the bleached white ones on the Heritage parts site. Not exactly like John Wayne's yellowed real ivory panels, but good enough.
Old 01-20-2018, 11:05 AM
smokey9701

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
Well, that's not a reasonable comparison either. If a single 6 on GB is 300, what is a RR on GB? I have both. They both shoot well. A rough rider does it's job at a reasonable price for those who want a knock around six shooter. If it's lost, dropped on a rock and the casting breaks it doesn't matter. I have a feeling that my rough rider will be shooting as well as my Ruger for as long as I live. If I could only have 1 I would keep my single six. There is nothing great about them RR but, there is also nothing wrong with something that is fun to shoot for 150 bucks.
Old 01-22-2018, 05:40 PM
deputy tom
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokey9701 View Post
Well, that's not a reasonable comparison either. If a single 6 on GB is 300, what is a RR on GB? I have both. They both shoot well. A rough rider does it's job at a reasonable price for those who want a knock around six shooter. If it's lost, dropped on a rock and the casting breaks it doesn't matter. I have a feeling that my rough rider will be shooting as well as my Ruger for as long as I live. If I could only have 1 I would keep my single six. There is nothing great about them RR but, there is also nothing wrong with something that is fun to shoot for 150 bucks.
I had my Rough Rider out today. Had a bunch of fun. tom.
Old 02-02-2018, 11:38 AM
smokey9701

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
This is all very strange. To me shooting is about nothing other then having some fun. For those who are lucky enough to have a real 100 year old colt work of art that's fine and shooting something which only cost 150 bucks is fun too. I have my dads old Ruger and a RR. I shoot with friends and we have a good time with both. Only a few even notice the difference between the two since many times I shoot with new people. There is nothing like holding a piece of finally engraved steel but in the end it's still a shooting sport, engravings or not. My thing isn't fire arms it's hand crafted Swiss watches. It's the same deal, most think I'm insane when the find out I have a 10000 dollar watch on my wrist. Little do they know that's actually cheap. But, it won't keep time as well as something from Kmart which cost 10 buck.

Last edited by smokey9701; 02-02-2018 at 05:49 PM.
Old 02-23-2018, 09:29 PM
RRF

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I'm a diehard Ruger guy. I've owned a couple Ruger Single Six revolvers. An old model 3 screw (unmodified) 6.5" and a new model 2 screw 5.5". Neither Ruger had as nice a fit with the wood grips. I'm very happy with this Heritage! I will buy another one or two.

This is going to be a great companion to my Ruger American Rimfire and my 10/22.

Safe shooting everyone!

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
Old 02-28-2018, 05:13 PM
shirtz1

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRF View Post
I'm a diehard Ruger guy. I've owned a couple Ruger Single Six revolvers. An old model 3 screw (unmodified) 6.5" and a new model 2 screw 5.5". Neither Ruger had as nice a fit with the wood grips. I'm very happy with this Heritage! I will buy another one or two.

This is going to be a great companion to my Ruger American Rimfire and my 10/22.

Safe shooting everyone!

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
Sounds like a great collection of 'toys' there. I love my RR's along with my Henry Lever action. Gives me that "John Wayne" look. Since I'm not a serious target shooter, the little RR works just fine for me.

Now, where'd I leave my cowboy hat???