Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-03-2016, 11:24 AM
shirtz1
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Interesting topic about the cylinder gap. I have 2 4 3/4 RR's and one is much tighter and does shoot more accurately than the looser one. I was wondering if there is any adjustment that can compensate for the larger gap. I haven't measured the cyl's lengths or the gaps yet, but will do today.
Old 10-03-2016, 01:56 PM
Indigo22

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I had been tucking away here and there saving up for the release of their 45/410. Bummer it never came to fruition.
Old 10-16-2016, 09:27 AM
fishboy1958
Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shirtz1 View Post
Interesting topic about the cylinder gap. I have 2 4 3/4 RR's and one is much tighter and does shoot more accurately than the looser one. I was wondering if there is any adjustment that can compensate for the larger gap. I haven't measured the cyl's lengths or the gaps yet, but will do today.
I remember seeing something somewhere about shims being used, but forget where I read about it. I'm not sure if that helps at all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2016, 01:06 PM
shirtz1

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishboy1958 View Post
I remember seeing something somewhere about shims being used, but forget where I read about it. I'm not sure if that helps at all.
That would be interesting if you come up with it. Thanx.
Old 10-20-2016, 08:43 PM
fishboy1958
Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Danwin22, I agree with you, there are a lot of folks who treasure their Rough Riders. It's not the best quality, or fit and finish, but for those of us who are unable to afford a nice high end .22 SA Western Style Revolver love them, it's an amazing little gun.
My kids all got Red Ryder BB guns, and were schooled in safety and the positive aspects of shooting sports, then my father in law, 'Grandpa' let them fire his Ruger single six as their first experience with a "real gun". They always insist on bringing our Heritage RR when we go to the range together, it's become a family member of sorts.
Old 11-09-2016, 09:07 PM
Code54

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I never measured my .22 cyl. but never had anything blow out on me.
Little things shoots pretty darn well especially considering the price. I love the Rugers but I must say I don't really worry about scratches or marks on the Rough Rider like I do on other firearms.
Old 11-09-2016, 09:50 PM
shirtz1

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have 2 of them, the last from Whittaker Guns in KY. Bought that for $109 with just the LR cylinder. Add $20 for LGS check, and I'm a very happy camper. Not much else you can get for anywhere near that price, and it shoots just great. Perfect?? I don't think so, but absolutely no complaints for all the fun I have with both of mine. You can't go wrong unless you're a 'gun snob'.

I'm not.
Old 11-10-2016, 11:26 AM
Plinkhead

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I'm curious...how is the painted finish on RRs holding up?
Old 11-13-2016, 01:39 PM
osbornk

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plinkhead View Post
Mine has the case hardened finish and it still looks new. However, I'm gentle with all of my guns and they all look new if I got them new and the used ones looks like they did when I got them or usually better.
Old 11-13-2016, 02:50 PM
shirtz1

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plinkhead View Post
Ths finish on both of mine shows no 'detioration'. The (approx 4 year old one) looks as good as the day I bought it. But when I'm done shooting, it always goes into a zippered case. I don't just throw it in the toolbox or back seat of the car. When I get home, I always wipe them down with an oily cloth. WIth reasonable care, I see no reason to believe that the finish will go away, at least in my lifetime. The cylinders BTW are blued, only the frame is painted.
Old 10-26-2017, 01:25 PM
MarkLH

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Waiting to have my good experience w/ my 22 Rough Rider

Alas.. there is truth to:you get what you pay for

Got the firearm itch, in particular for a Single Action Revolver.. and found the Rough Rider. So many forum posts out there in Internet land -- basically saying: Good gun for the money, ,while SOME said: Save your money, and get a real revolver, like a Single Six.

But my enthusiasm kind of turned a blind eye to caveats.. and the $129 special price at local retailer made me ignore warnings.. and I got one.

Fun to shoot - but friends at the range noted: "wow your gun is really keyholing" .. well I didn't know what this was.. but indeed: oblong holes on my paper targets.. at 25 feet

so Heritage says return it and we'll check it out.

So I investigate sending it via UPS or FED EX and find: it'll cost $70 - has to be sent 2nd day Air - to Florida. I call em back to < complain basically > .. and they say - " Oh you can take it to your retailer " ( why didn't they tell me that to begin with ??... )

So I return it to Coastal Farm and Ranch - and I gather that Heritage sends THEM a pick up tag, so Heritage pays the freight.. they just didn't offer ME that service.

So it's been in their hands since August 25th 2017. when calling them to check on the status - it was: " Yes we have it, but we don't have any Estimate as to when it'll be done "

Last week ( 10/17/2017 ) I finally got an update that it had been serviced, and moved to "testing" before being sent back to me, I should have it in my hands this week ( week of 10/22/2017 )

Today ( 10/26/2017) they're back to: " We have it, and have no estimate of when it will be sent out" - ( and the operator says they're doing an internal company inventory so no way it'll be dealt with before 11/03/2017 )

so that puts me at : best case : getting it the week of 11/06/2017 - 11 weeks to get serviced.. and that is optimistic at this point.. ..

Anyone can have an isolated instance of a production problem.. and at the price:
I'm glad they're servicing it ( without having to spend $70 to get warranty work on a $129 gun ) ...

At the end of the day: Wish I'd have just put the $ toward a Ruger Single Ten
Old 10-26-2017, 06:26 PM
BulletBait

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Sorry to hear your extended problem.
Putting an additional $350+ toward a Single 10 is not an option to some shooters. I've got the Ruger and Colt 22's, but my RR's have their slot. My $185 Heritage 3 1/2" Birdshead is just as functional as the much more expensive Shopkeeper.
Old 10-26-2017, 07:16 PM
MarkLH

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Tnx BulletBait., anxious to put this whole issue in the rear view mirror -get it back and enjoy some plinking.

and: Oooh.. Birdshead Rough Rider and Shopkeeper. ! Post some pics of those!

Last edited by MarkLH; 10-26-2017 at 07:51 PM.
Old 10-26-2017, 07:53 PM
BulletBait

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
MarkLH
Come on over to : https://gunslingerforum.com/22lr-and-22wmr-f2.html
Let us know how it shoots when you get it back.
Old 10-26-2017, 07:59 PM
BulletBait

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
http://www.heritagemfg.com/product_listing.cfm?cat_id=2
http://www.ruger-firearms.com/produc...eets/0918.html
Pick out which is $185 and the $400+ one ??