Still another 10/22 barrel remover - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-13-2017, 03:01 PM
MannlicherFan
US Air Force Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
Here's the right way to do it

Folks, removing barrels by twisting them with an open end wrench, hammering on them & all the other BS methods seen on YouBOOB & the forums are great ways to enlarge the barrel hole - if that's what your trying to do.

This is the ONLY WAY to PROPERLY remove a stuck barrel...

This is NOT me, it is however the way I did it - twice in the past week.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slGmnE9-3lc

I can't understand what he says about the oil, I had Rem Oil on hand, so that's what I used. WD-40 probably work good to.

He must be using some creative camara work, cuz mine did not come out in 60-seconds, took several minutes.

There's several sku numbers for the same heat gun, I have this one... https://www.harborfreight.com/1500-w...112-96289.html

There on sale for $12.99 - couple coupons on the main page... one is 20% the other 25%

Brings the cost down to $10.40 & $9.75 respectively.
Old 05-13-2017, 03:16 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MannlicherFan View Post
Folks, removing barrels by twisting them with an open end wrench, hammering on them & all the other BS methods seen on YouBOOB & the forums are great ways to enlarge the barrel hole - if that's what your trying to do.

This is the ONLY WAY to PROPERLY remove a stuck barrel...

This is NOT me, it is however the way I did it - twice in the past week.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slGmnE9-3lc

I can't understand what he says about the oil, I had Rem Oil on hand, so that's what I used. WD-40 probably work good to.

He must be using some creative camara work, cuz mine did not come out in 60-seconds, took several minutes.

There's several sku numbers for the same heat gun, I have this one... https://www.harborfreight.com/1500-w...112-96289.html

There on sale for $12.99 - couple coupons on the main page... one is 20% the other 25%

Brings the cost down to $10.40 & $9.75 respectively.

Your solution is appreciated and nothing new. Many here have used and promoted the freeze/heat process for years.

It does NOT work for ALL stuck barrels.

Some require pressing out, it's as simple as that.

DrGunner
Old 05-13-2017, 03:31 PM
MannlicherFan
US Air Force Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrGunner View Post
Your solution is appreciated and nothing new. Many here have used and promoted the freeze/heat process for years.

It does NOT work for ALL stuck barrels.

Some require pressing out, it's as simple as that.

DrGunner
Guess I should have specified that I've been removing factory barrels, not aftermarket.

I've used the freeze/heat method to install barrels cuz I like them tight. So when I saw the vid - said to myself that'll work.

Freezing the barrel (for removal) made no difference for me, including over-night.

Had to heat the receiver at the barrel junction, rotating it for even heat distribution. Didn't watch the clock, too busy watching what I was doing. But seemed like it was upwards of 5-minutes before the barrel finally let go.

There is a special barrel removal tool available, think Brownells has it, around $50

Regards,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2017, 04:23 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MannlicherFan View Post
Guess I should have specified that I've been removing factory barrels, not aftermarket.

I've used the freeze/heat method to install barrels cuz I like them tight. So when I saw the vid - said to myself that'll work.

Freezing the barrel (for removal) made no difference for me, including over-night.

Had to heat the receiver at the barrel junction, rotating it for even heat distribution. Didn't watch the clock, too busy watching what I was doing. But seemed like it was upwards of 5-minutes before the barrel finally let go.

There is a special barrel removal tool available, think Brownells has it, around $50

Regards,

Factory barrels can be super tough- when they've been in place and abused for a long time, In a couple of extreme cases, I've seen factory breech faces mushroomed out but that was from decades of hard use with poor maintenance.

Ive posted the following in the past- it's a variation on the theme that uses heat instead of the freezer to start, then liquid CO2 to shrink the barrel stub:

Quote:
Barrel Installation/Removal
I own 3 Kidd builds that all required heat/freezer to install, and have built several others that required thermal persuasion.
I freeze the barrel overnight, and bake the receiver at 250-275F.
They slip together easily. If you don't get the extractor lined up just right, no worries. Just heat the counterbore part of the receiver with a hair dryer or heat gun with a diffuser until you can twist the barrel. It also doesn't hurt to blow compressed air in the chamber to keep the barrel cool and prevent it from expanding. I install the barrel in a well lit area, with the receiver locked in a padded vise, upside down with the bolt in the receiver without the charging assembly-making alignment of the extractor hook easier.

To remove a barrel that has been assembled this way, freeze the barreled action overnight, then heat the receiver around the barrel stub/counterbore with a hair dryer or heat gun with a diffuser.

For stubborn barrels, I bake the barreled action at 250-275 for 30-60 minutes.
I figured out that using a can of computer "Dust Off" and insert a spray straw into the chamber. It's liquid CO2 and will cool things rapidly.
Cover the breech face with a rag to prevent blowback from hitting the inside of the receiver.

Give it a blast or two with the can held UPSIDE DOWN.
Cools and shrinks the barrel stub rapidly from the inside out
I've never had to use a barrel pusher or any type of impact technique to remove or seat using the methods I just described.

This method also works for final seating of barrels that tend to stick on the last 1/16-1/8" before fully seating the shoulder of the barrel into the counterbore of the receiver.

I developed this technique from working on cars and motorcycles. Stuck bolts and bleeder valves on brake calipers come loose easily with this method- heat the entire area, with the fastener, then rapidly cool the fastener to shrink it.

I then later applied it to barrels and receivers.

The locked-in, tight fit you get is stable and good for accuracy.
Also- apply anti-seize to the barrel stub before assembly, it makes rotating and removing the barrel MUCH easier.

Respectfully,

DrGunner