Sell BL22 Browning - Buy a Henry?? - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 02-20-2016, 11:12 AM
DPris

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

The Henry test sample in that Kindle book had a markedly better trigger pull than the Browning.
Denis
Old 02-21-2016, 05:42 AM
cageyOne

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have a BL-22, grade II in maple that, like yours, was stiff, but it has loosened up over the years and is a joy to shoot now. Thought about selling when it was newer but the stock is purty so I never did. I also have a couple Henry's, one is a lever action and the other a pump. I enjoy the pump alot more, though that action was stiff to begin with as well. My son wanted a lever so I gave it to him. Now I keep the Browning because it looks great and shoots well, and I keep the pump Henry because it's so fun to shoot, and trigger pull is much lighter than the Browning. Keep shooting that BL-22... after more use, the action is smooth.
Old 02-11-2017, 03:47 AM
rjf415

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I had a Browning BL-22, if you take a hard look at the schematic you'll notice that the main inner part of the receiver is made out of aluminum, checked it with a magnet (just like the Henry) and the outer shell is steel --when I discovered this I was not very happy, especially since the BL-22 costs more (the barrel bands are aluminum too) . I was under the impression that the whole receiver was steel, just like a Winchester 9422 or a Marlin 39A .

Also, I discovered that my Henry H001L shot better than my BL-22, so after discovering that the BL-22 is way over-priced for an aluminum levergun I let it go down the road. So I recommend that you sell the BL-22 and buy a Henry, which I think is the better gun at a great price...

BL-22 Schematic link: http://www.brownells.com/schematics/...22-sid386.aspx
https://policestore.com/schematics/B...22-sid386.aspx

Last edited by rjf415; 02-11-2017 at 03:54 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2017, 12:30 PM
jstanfield103
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I probably should stay out of this discussion but can't,

I have a Henry Pump action, Love it. I have also had several Henry rifles in the past and also currently own another Henry in 45/70 now. I have lever guns over lever guns. Marlin, Henry, Rossi they are all very nice.

The one thing I have to say is I own the Browning Micro Midas just because of the size rifle that it is. Usually I buy American made products first, the only reason I own a Rossi is because I wanted a 92 without the Winchester price tag of the Pre 1964 model. I would have never bought the Browning if it was not for the size of the Micro Midas (I am only 5'5" tall). After buying the Browning I have been so impressed with the throw of the lever and the ease of shooting it all my other 22's sit on a shelf and the Browning goes with me. I Love all my levers but that little Browning rules the roost in my house.

As far as the trigger pull goes I do not notice it having a heavier trigger pull over any of the other rifles that I have. A premium trigger is for punching paper and not for hunting or plinking. I have precision bolt action Remington 540X and a 10/22 Clarks Custom for precision shooting. The levers action I do not even notice because you are really just plinking or hunting with it. A scope I like on some of them, I have my rifles set up for different things.

If you are that dissatisfied with the Browning it is probably better that you go ahead and get rid of it because it will always leave a bad taste in you're mouth. Get a Henry and move on with life and be happy. Life is to short and I agree I have gotten rid of several rifles over the years that did not suite me.

I will keep my little favorite Browning. But I will also not buy anymore, I will buy some more Henry rifles though (especially that new lever action 410) because they are a quality American Made Rifle with a warranty that beats Browning hands down and a owner that is dedicated to keep it that way.

Will someone fix the pictures in this thread. It makes it very hard to read the thread and enjoy it.

Old 02-11-2017, 02:54 PM
LtCrunch
US Marines NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
This is a year old thread and whatever happened with the original poster's choice is a done deal by now. That said, owning both rifles I'd always grab my BL-22 over the Golden Boy for plinking or walkabout. The benefits of small form factor, light weight, and short lever throw greatly out weigh the slightly heavier trigger.

Not sure what you're seeing with the attachments J, they resolve fine for me on a laptop. This site is up to half a million threads and 4.5 million posts. There's no paid crew of curators going around sprucing up the collection. WYSIWYG

Frank
Old 02-11-2017, 05:31 PM
jstanfield103

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
LtCrunch,
Thanks, did not even notice the age of the post. Thanks for pointing that out.

The pictures that are posted are strung from left to right and not under each other. So to read the post I am having to scroll to the right. The pictures are twice the page width on my LapTop.
Old 02-11-2017, 07:36 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Yes this is an old thread and a new thread should probably be started. For the money, a Henry is a nice rifle. I don't think it can be beat for the money. Stating that a Browning BL-22 is just aluminum and the same as a Henry is also not accurate. There is a reason the Browning costs more. I think it is also a good value for what you get. But what you get is not the same. Yes the BL-22 has aluminum in it. I don't know if it is 6061 or 7075 or some other alloy, but it is definitely aluminum.
The Henry uses Zamac, which I believe is usually "cast". It serves it's purpose real well, but it isn't the same as machined aluminum.
I wouldn't sell my BL-22 to get another Henry. Buying a Henry is a good idea for someone who wants a good "shooter".
Old 02-12-2017, 09:17 PM
A square 10

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
to the OP , im not going to tell you what to do - not my place by any means , but i would keep the browning you have and add the henry , i have the henry [more than one] and love them , but ive just added that browning to a wish list for my overall accumulation ,
Old 08-09-2017, 09:59 PM
jCC9422M
US Air Force NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I should have kept my bl22 grade ii

Just buy the Henry. If your Browning is stiff it may need cleaned and lubricated. My was butter slick and finger flicking fast. I miss that gun. It turns out it was my favorite rim-fire rifle,
Old 08-11-2017, 10:18 PM
SargeMO

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon p View Post
sell that browning. just get you a henry and be happy.i would keep the browning just because of the beauty and quality of it. I own 2 henrys and love them,but, they are NOT a browning and never will claim to be! KEEP IT.
This.

We've got two Henry .22's and they are fine guns- but the BL22 is an absolute gem and I'd never part with one to get a Henry.
Old 08-12-2017, 07:18 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
Install a reduced trigger spring kit in your bl22 == 3.5 pound pull.
Old 09-22-2017, 09:15 PM
jCC9422M
US Air Force NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Red face funny story

I stopped by a big gun store Fur, Fin and Feathers in Ohio. I saw the Browning Midas.

I decided not to buy it. By the time I got to the parking lot I changed my mind. Went

back to counter only to watch the guy who just bought the only one they had walk

away from the counter with what would have been my rifle. He told me he saw me

working the action and decided to buy it. It must have looked good because my 1st

BL22 was used more than 20 years. I bought it new in 1993. I love that finger

flicking fast lever.

Oh yea, I forgot,buy the Henry low cost, keep the Browning.

You might as well have the same problem the rest of us do.

Last edited by jCC9422M; 09-22-2017 at 09:19 PM. Reason: ...the rest of us do.
Old 09-26-2017, 09:22 AM
beachbreak

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I had a BL-22 years ago that I eventually sold.

What a beautiful gun but it was lacking in the accuracy department.
Old 09-26-2017, 09:38 AM
buckweet
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Never never ever sell a Browning.
Any Browning.

Keep Browning.

Buy a henry.
Old 09-26-2017, 09:44 PM
Flash_80

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Agreed. I never shoot my BL22. Its trigger sucks hard. Can't sell it though. Bought my kid a Henry junior. Fun to shoot, half the quality. Bought my other kid a CZ Scout.

Henry Junior cost the exact same as the Scout. Half the rifle. Wishing I hadn't done it now. Spent even more $$$ and built them a 10-22 to share and shoot steel challenge with down the line. Really wish I hadn't bough the Henry now. 10-22 in a cut down stock with a Tac-Sol barrel, CPC bolt, and Brimstone trigger job is so superior to the Henry, just can't John Wayne a lever on it.