Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-18-2016, 10:01 AM
jsgwoodsman

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
Marlin 20-A with Maxim suppressor adapter

Recently acquired a Marlin 20-a that is in decent condition. The thing that caught my interest was the threaded piece at the muzzle. I'm assuming it was put there to accept a Maxim silencer/suppressor but don't really know... Any gurus with insight?
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg image.jpeg (51.2 KB, 131 views)
Old 01-18-2016, 10:03 AM
jsgwoodsman

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
Maxim threads?
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg image.jpeg (104.0 KB, 132 views)
Old 01-18-2016, 07:35 PM
Southpaw
National Guard Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Looks like you still have the ivory bead . Good catch .
Never come across a threaded muzzle before.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2016, 10:16 PM
pump .22s
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Does the gun happen to have British proofmarks? A lot of guns got sent over there and were then threaded to accept a suppressor.
Old 01-18-2016, 10:34 PM
vepr762

TPC Rating: 
91% (10)
Yes that is for a Maxim. I've owned several Marlin's, Winchester's and Remington's that had a threaded muzzle or a soldered adapter. There was also a threaded cap that covered the threads.
Old 01-18-2016, 11:37 PM
jsgwoodsman

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
Southpaw: thanks, it's a neat rifle and does still have the bead.

Pump .22s: I can't find any British proof marks anywhere but believe it must have an interesting history.

Vepr762: i suspect trying to find an original cap for mine would be like finding a needle in a haystack
Old 01-19-2016, 08:22 PM
Sav22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The intermittent thread to allow a turn for removal certainly appears to be for a Maxim and possible done at the Maxim factory since it appears to be machined on the barrel. The Maxim silencers set off center, low, to be out of the way of the standard sights - on tube magazine 22's this put the silencer in the way of the magazine tube, the turn removal allowed the silencer to be easily pulled for access to the magazine tube - I have Maxim literature that shows a silencer installed upside down on a 1906 Winchester to temporarily hold it out of the way while loading. For small bore low power cartridges Maxim made an adapter that was held on by friction and was driven on using a set of supplied spacers, this was advertised for self installment and could be put on either a round or octagonal barrel.

I have three British proofed 22's that have the barrel threaded and all have full threads, these may have been for the Parker's 'silencers', in later catalogs called the Parker-Hall 'sound moderators'. Parker-Hall also has slip on adapters that were split and held on by a couple threaded nuts that tighten them somewhat like a collet. The Parker 'silencers' all appear to have been centered on the bore.

This savage has a driven on Maxim adapter, it has interrupted threads just like pictured on your Marlin. I found an original protective cap - it was on another adapter on a Stevens 1915 Favorite barrel I found at a gun show (does anyone need a Stevens 1915 barrel with a Maxim adapter... missing the protective cap?)

Last edited by Sav22; 01-19-2016 at 08:25 PM.
Old 01-20-2016, 11:18 AM
jsgwoodsman

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
Sav22,

Thank you for that great information!

I also believe the threading to be machined onto the barrel, and for that reason, I bought the gun. I've passed on purchasing other rifles with threaded muzzles because they appeared to have adapters soldered onto the barrel and didn't look as well done as this particular mount does.

I find the off center and interrupted thread info very interesting. I wondered about the potential issue of loading the magazine tube, but I believe you've answered that question perfectly.

Good looking rifle by the way.
Old 01-20-2016, 11:51 AM
Sav22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
jsgwoodsman, I took pictures of some catalog pages & also closeups of the adapter on my rifle and the cap... but for some reason every time I try to up load to photobucket now it's failed, tried several times last night & again today - I had just used it a couple days ago & it worked fine. Will try again later.
Old 01-20-2016, 12:05 PM
98_1LE

TPC Rating: 
100% (17)
I won't link them if you google maxim silencer marlin 22 and check images you will find photos.
Old 01-20-2016, 12:29 PM
jsgwoodsman

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
Sav22
If you don't mind, I'll pm you my email. Maybe I can receive your info that way.

98_1LE
I'll try that, thank you
Old 01-20-2016, 12:30 PM
pump .22s

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sav22 View Post
jsgwoodsman, I took pictures of some catalog pages & also closeups of the adapter on my rifle and the cap... but for some reason every time I try to up load to photobucket now it's failed, tried several times last night & again today - I had just used it a couple days ago & it worked fine. Will try again later.
I had these same issues yesterday, so I think it's a Photobucket issue. I would try to upload a photo, it would start, then bog down. I finally just walked off and left it. When I would come back later, it would be loaded.....in fact a photo for each time I tried.
Old 01-20-2016, 01:52 PM
Sav22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pump .22s View Post
I had these same issues yesterday, so I think it's a Photobucket issue. I would try to upload a photo, it would start, then bog down. I finally just walked off and left it. When I would come back later, it would be loaded.....in fact a photo for each time I tried.
Guess what, I now have a few copies of each loaded! ..so I tried to delete the extras, they still showed up until I clicked on them, then I got a message that they were gone?

So... here are the pictures, at last!

Old 01-27-2016, 08:13 PM
marlinguy
Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
The interrupted threads certainly look like what my 1893 had. Mine had the Maxim silencer with it, but the old timer selling it would not let me buy it. He said it was never registered, and he planned on disposing of it. I offered to cut the side open, to de-mil it, but he wouldn't budge. He did give me the original knurled protective cap though.
Marlin did show Maxim silencers in their catalogs, and Maxim offered the service to install the interrupted thread system on almost any gun. I don't know of any info showing this ever being done at Marlin, and I would assume if a gun was shipped this way, it was sent to Maxim to be fitted, and not done at Marlin.
Old 01-28-2016, 12:42 PM
jsgwoodsman

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
marlinguy

Excellent info. Sounds like you were "this close" to that silencer!