Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 12-26-2015, 05:37 AM
j_lyons121

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
17 hmr almost finished

Just taught I'd post some pics of my 10/22 magnum in 17hmr. I've put a volquartsen snake fluted barrel, heavy charging handle on to it. It seems to running great with very little case bulge

Last edited by j_lyons121; 12-26-2015 at 06:18 AM.
Old 12-26-2015, 05:58 AM
j_lyons121

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
spent cases

I fired 4 Hornady, 5 Winchester for a function test and to see how the brass turned out.

Last edited by j_lyons121; 12-26-2015 at 02:48 PM.
Old 12-26-2015, 09:31 AM
22_boomer
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
It looks good but remember to clean the chamber every 50 to 100 rounds. The little bit of blowback debris gets compressed and builds a hard ring in the shoulder area over time and can cause the case to not fit correctly.

You got one heck of a nice looking barrel there -- are you going to replace the stock? I remember you were going to do an 80% receiver with a 77/22 barrel chambered in 17HMR -- did you decide to scrap that project?

Last edited by 22_boomer; 12-26-2015 at 09:39 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-26-2015, 10:12 AM
j_lyons121

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 22_boomer View Post
It looks good but remember to clean the chamber every 50 to 100 rounds. The little bit of blowback debris gets compressed and builds a hard ring in the shoulder area over time and can cause the case to not fit correctly.

You got one heck of a nice looking barrel there -- are you going to replace the stock? I remember you were going to do an 80% receiver with a 77/22 barrel chambered in 17HMR -- did you decide to scrap that project?
yeah I bent a copper brush and put a handle on it so I can carry it and give the bore a clean every 30 or so rounds.
yeah I've a stock and kidd 2 stage trigger on the way for it. also volquartsen extractor and firing pin. things go so much slower when ur living in Ireland. nah I couldn't get a 80% my dealer wouldn't import it for me.
so this rifle came up in the UK so I imported it into Ireland to base my build on. I've being looking out for 5+ years for 1 so I jumped on it. Their was one other for sale in the UK but I'd need to replace barrel and stock and that was $1650 by that time I got it here. then a other $600 to change the barrel and stock. so what I bought was a better way to go.
Old 12-28-2015, 05:10 PM
22_boomer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Sure looks like things are working fine so far. I did a 22 magnum rifle using the 80% receiver and it worked nice while I could find ammo. I won't pay the high prices that dealers ask for the magnum ammo at the gun shows and I seem to always miss out on good sales on the web so the rifle has just been sitting in my safe for about a year now. I can find 17HMR ammo easy so that's what I shoot.
Old 12-31-2015, 04:02 PM
j_lyons121

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Sure looks like things are working fine so far. I did a 22 magnum rifle using the 80% receiver and it worked nice while I could find ammo. I won't pay the high prices that dealers ask for the magnum ammo at the gun shows and I seem to always miss out on good sales on the web so the rifle has just been sitting in my safe for about a year now. I can find 17HMR ammo easy so that's what I shoot.
I'd prefer the hmr over the magnum any day. The ruger is shooting great as a hmr thankfully so I may leave it alone. soon as I get stock, trigger and vq bits it will be time to bench it and see how it does. It should be a tack driver.
ur 17 is on a ruger action as well? do you get much case bulge?
Old 01-01-2016, 11:56 AM
22_boomer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_lyons121 View Post
I'd prefer the hmr over the magnum any day. The ruger is shooting great as a hmr thankfully so I may leave it alone. soon as I get stock, trigger and vq bits it will be time to bench it and see how it does. It should be a tack driver.
ur 17 is on a ruger action as well? do you get much case bulge?
I have no case bulge at all. My rifle is a bit different. A few years back there was a fellow on here that was doing standard 10/22 22lr receiver conversions to 22 magnum and 17HMR. I know it sounds strange but Ruger had stopped making the magnum rifle so there was no alternative and back then there were no 80% magnum receivers. Not only does the rifle shoot great it works with some after-market 25 round double stack - single feed mags.

It took a lot of work to get things right and one of them was a Ruger 22 magnum bolt that I got back then for a little over $100. I had to modifiy it to fit in the 22lr 10/22 receiver along with the heavy bolt handle. I've had the rifle for around 10 years and never had a problem. By the way the barrel is a 77/22 17HMR barrel with the special shim kit.

Last edited by 22_boomer; 01-01-2016 at 12:02 PM.
Old 01-02-2016, 04:23 AM
j_lyons121

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
I have no case bulge at all. My rifle is a bit different. A few years back there was a fellow on here that was doing standard 10/22 22lr receiver conversions to 22 magnum and 17HMR. I know it sounds strange but Ruger had stopped making the magnum rifle so there was no alternative and back then there were no 80% magnum receivers. Not only does the rifle shoot great it works with some after-market 25 round double stack - single feed mags.

It took a lot of work to get things right and one of them was a Ruger 22 magnum bolt that I got back then for a little over $100. I had to modifiy it to fit in the 22lr 10/22 receiver along with the heavy bolt handle. I've had the rifle for around 10 years and never had a problem. By the way the barrel is a 77/22 17HMR barrel with the special shim kit.
Wow that's a cool project. he had to lengthen the lr receiver to make it work? that would b a fun project but id imagine it would take a lot of work to get it to function 100%.
I was thinking you used that barrel all right with the shim black shim shown.
I was lucky a friend has access to a machine shop so he done the v block and shim for me. Otherwise I'd have to try source them in the states and that would be a headache.
I can't wait to get my one finished. what make barrel do you have? what is the accuracy like?

Last edited by j_lyons121; 01-02-2016 at 04:25 AM.
Old 01-02-2016, 05:55 PM
22_boomer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Believe it or not the receiver is not lengthened. The trigger group pin holes in the receiver are moved to the rear and the cutout in the lower part of the receiver for the magazine is made longer to accept the 22 magnum magazines. A lot of other things are also done like modifying the stock for the new position for the trigger group. The barrel is a Green Mountain and I can put 10 shots into the same hole at 50 yards.

There was a company here that made the shim and v-block adapters but I think they quit making them. I used the black spacer because it was the last one I had and thought it went well with the black receiver.

Another odd thing about this modification is the Originator designed it to shoot 22 magnums and it was done using the original 22lr bolt. I lucked out and found a 22 magnum bolt for sale in the "Trading Post" for about $100 and jumped on it. I think it was the last bolt I ever saw for sale. The fellow that did the original design work went by the name "Chief Dave" but he passed away some years back.

Last edited by 22_boomer; 01-02-2016 at 06:05 PM.
Old 01-03-2016, 12:34 PM
j_lyons121

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Believe it or not the receiver is not lengthened. The trigger group pin holes in the receiver are moved to the rear and the cutout in the lower part of the receiver for the magazine is made longer to accept the 22 magnum magazines. A lot of other things are also done like modifying the stock for the new position for the trigger group. The barrel is a Green Mountain and I can put 10 shots into the same hole at 50 yards.

There was a company here that made the shim and v-block adapters but I think they quit making them. I used the black spacer because it was the last one I had and thought it went well with the black receiver.

Another odd thing about this modification is the Originator designed it to shoot 22 magnums and it was done using the original 22lr bolt. I lucked out and found a 22 magnum bolt for sale in the "Trading Post" for about $100 and jumped on it. I think it was the last bolt I ever saw for sale. The fellow that did the original design work went by the name "Chief Dave" but he passed away some years back.
oh rite got ya a lot of work he doing it on the lr receiver so. But at least it's a option before the 80% came in. You gotta love a guy that has a vision like that and make it work. fair play to him.
yeah I failed to find the shim kit online I suppose their wasn't enuf demand for it. so wasn't worth their while producing them.
That was cheap for a bolt I suppose if you could find one now you would b talking 300-400$
Old 01-05-2016, 10:59 AM
DRob
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Chief Dave

Chief Dave was still around when I first found RFC. He had a huge collection of 10/22s including several magnums. All of them had been modified and, by all accounts, they all ran and shot very well. Those who frequented the magnum section (they were called Maggits) all benefited from CD's work. The section was pretty active back then but a lot of the "info" was just rumor somebody heard somewhere and they were just repeating it. If you wanted good info, you read Chief Dave, Ole Man River, Markbo, Clint McCall, and maybe a couple others I don't recall.

One of the magnums I have now runs very well because of Chief Dave and Clint McCall's tips. The other I bought from Ole Man River. It looks factory but has some internal mods and runs like a top.
Old 02-01-2016, 06:24 AM
j_lyons121

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Just finished my build

Old 08-12-2016, 04:02 PM
cnburnell

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
.22 mag to .17hmr with Ruger 10/22

I inherited a 10/22 wmr from my brother as well as a .17 barrel for it. I was wondering what is involved in a conversion from .22 mag to .17 hmr? OR, just leave it alone as the mag shoots great.
Old 08-12-2016, 04:29 PM
DRob
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnburnell View Post
I inherited a 10/22 wmr from my brother as well as a .17 barrel for it. I was wondering what is involved in a conversion from .22 mag to .17 hmr? OR, just leave it alone as the mag shoots great.
It may run and shoot very well with nothing but a barrel swap, it may take more than that. I've done a few conversions to .17 caliber (both HMR and HM2) and my experience says each one is different. Some may require heavier recoil and/or hammer springs. I have one which had a LARGE percentage of failures to extract until I switched to a Clark Custom barrel. With no other changes it became 100% reliable and consistently shot 1" at 100 yards, wind cooperating of course.

That said, if it shoots well as a WMR, I'd leave it as is. Assuming it's a "double extractor" gun, remove the left side extractor ASAP. It's not necessary and is the cause of most of the bolt fractures which many think killed off the 10/22M. Replacement bolts are available but not from Ruger. Somebody here is/was making them.

Good shooting.
Old 12-09-2017, 02:32 AM
raineydayfishing

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quarter Research out of Bend Oregon makes the bolts occasionally. Send Keith an e-mail to see when his next run of bolts will be made. But ask him to use a factory spec firing pin. The ones I got had Select Fire and they are different than the factory and may cause you some problems.

[email protected]