Rico's 8 ball and Zee Row games..... - Page 3 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-30-2016, 05:42 PM
Clem-E

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)

I like those old chevy trucks, but I REALLY like that elky!

we made a bet with some chevy buddies of ours a few years ago. they had a 67 buick skylark, we were gonna race the tan mustang. so we both built engines. the rules were no more than 10:1 compression, pump gas, flat tappet cams. since the mustang was a lighter car we would just run a .040 over 358" Windsor shortblock. they could run a 383. we ran that set of Cleveland 4v closed chambers and they could run some dart heads because the clevelands intake ports were as large as a big block chevy. single carb cast intake of your choice. heads up, run whatcha brung motor to motor.

after they were both built we got to the 1/8th mile track to make some hits. the mustang went 7.30s due to carb problems. but we fixed that and got it to run 7.0s. then I pulled the mufflers off and it went 6.80s.

our buddies made 2 passes in the skylark in the low 8s. put it back on the trailer and went home. we never even raced and the skylark has been sitting since. they don't really want to race us anymore unless its with a 400lb lighter car with a 600ci big block chevy vs the 408. and even that car was only .2 quicker in the 1/8th than the mustang was with the big clevor. the 408 in the mustang went [email protected] and the 598 in the rx7 went 6.teens @ 112. motor to motor. some people just slap stuff together and that never works. lol.
Old 09-30-2016, 07:59 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via Yahoo to PEASHOOTER67
Because to race a mustang" pony car" you have to use another "pony class car". That my friends would be a nova " chevy 11 " or a 67-69 camero with an equivalent motor.

But boy I sure like me some heavy Chevys.

Faith, Honor, Family

Last edited by Sophia; 10-03-2016 at 09:46 PM.
Old 09-30-2016, 10:39 PM
Clem-E

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
the mustang weighed right at 3k lbs. the buick was 3300. so they got 30ci. the rx7 with the 598 weighs 2600 vs the mustang having a 408 and 3k. they have another rx7 with a 434 sbc in it. that car weighs 2450 and only runs 6.40s and [email protected] so the 408 with stock heads and stock block in the car that weighs 550lbs more is running .1-.2 quicker and 6mph faster. pretty sad. and these rx7s are both back half ladder bar cars with 29-13.50 slicks. we are running bolt on stock suspension stuff and 28-10.50s.

I really don't understand how their stuff is that slow. I know a guy who has a 468 in a 67 Camaro that runs [email protected] on motor. the car weighs 3300lbs and it makes somewhere north of 800hp. so I know it can be done. they are all nuts bolts and grease when you get them apart. I would have put a big block chevy in my mustang, but then I would have had to hear people say 'had to put a chevy in it to make it fast.' and that just isn't the case. that and I am not a cross breeder. my z28 had a chevy in it. funny thing is, that thing was a good running stock lt1 in a 3630lb car, made 275 to the tires and ran as good as the buick my buddies built with a aftermarket headed 383. I would love to have a 66-67 nova with a badass little small block chevy. there are a lot of really good 23* heads out there right now.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2016, 11:30 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Rico's 8 ball and Zee Row games.....

You know it isn't just about cubic inches or this or that.

It all has to match from the water pump to the rear gear and tire diameter/width.

More often it's the wrong torque converter and the wrong rear gears.
Buick probably had higher rear gears and not high enough stall converter.

I've seen an other wise awsome car that just wouldn't go.
Had the right stall and the right rears and it would hook up but was a dowg.
Intake/cam/heads combo wasn't working together.

On paper it looked like it should burn up the track but just went bla.........

Changed out the heads to a smaller intake port with a different shape and bam like a rocket.

Btw: last time I weighed a Chevelle "67" same she'll as a skylark. It weighed in at 3,800 and tag said 3,200. That 5-600 makes a big difference to.

Faith, Honor, Family

Old 10-01-2016, 12:59 AM
Clem-E

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
we weigh the cars at Northstar, so it was what it was. I believe they had around a 4k rpm converter and a 4.11 in back. the mustang had my budget/junk 347 and c4/converter in it when my friend first got the car done. my 347 in his car ran [email protected] on motor before we built the 'bet' engine. so they should have had some clue what they were up against.

Last edited by Clem-E; 10-01-2016 at 01:02 AM.
Old 10-01-2016, 09:41 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Rico's 8 ball and Zee Row games.....

That awesome either way.
Those clev/win mix motors are power houses for sure.

Faith, Honor, Family

Old 10-01-2016, 11:21 AM
Clem-E

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
Probably why Bob Glidden won so many pro stock races with clevelands. Its not super easy to find Cleveland 4v heads anymore, but its not real difficult. And if you really want a Cleveland head there are always aftermarket alternatives. the blocks are getting stupid hard to find in good condition, unless you want to run a 351/400m. the Windsor is just such a good base. we did have to make adapter plates and a valley pan to run the Cleveland intake on the Windsor.

here is a little cell phone vid of it leaving on motor at Kennedale

Old 10-01-2016, 11:27 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I haven't been to KRW since 89.

Faith, Honor, Family

Last edited by Sophia; 10-03-2016 at 09:47 PM.
Old 10-01-2016, 06:07 PM
Vincent

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
All the engine assembly stuff is very much like when a bunch of us figured out together how to tune the SuperStock rifles and they would out shoot most of the Ultimates back then because. The "Ultimates" back then were what I called "kitchen table guns" because guys were building a rifle in a 1/2 hour with a bunch of parts bought for looks and ZERO tuning. They just did not know that tuning was needed!!

When DrGunner took over Ultimate a few years ago his leadership and understanding the same things we were doing made the Ultimates true ULTIMATES. At that point those rifles (the good ones) were more accurate than the SuperStock because a heavy rifle is going to out shoot and equally built light rifle.

It was fun for a while there when those guys were looking at our groups and rifles and wondering how THAT happened!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzOn6GqNFdk
Old 10-02-2016, 11:52 AM
Clem-E

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
assembling shortblocks is an exercise in frustration for me. mock up, tear apart, open up one clearance, screw up another, tear it apart, fix it again, mock it up again. have to fix something else. repeat process 158 times to get the shortblock correct. that's why it took 5 months to assemble that shortblock. I like working on rifles better. lol