Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 06-15-2015, 04:23 PM
kyboy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Marlin Model 20A Parts Needed

Recently purchased a Model 20A in about 75% for $50. However, need a forearm and several internal parts. Found most parts except for firing pin spring, locking bolt plunger spring, and the forearm, I can make that. Is the rifle worth putting in a $100 worth of parts? Neat rifle would sure like to restore it and shoot it. Numrich lists parts for the rifle not included in their schematic. Know where a guy can get a complete parts list with diagram, an assembly guide would be great. Have many old books with "lots" of pistols and rifles with parts with diagrams, but not this one.

Thanks,
KYBOY
Old 06-23-2015, 07:08 PM
Big Shrek
US Army Fire Fighter NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Mostly because the 20A was made pre-1930's...parts are hard to find, and springs dang near impossible...
You have to guesstimate a lot with those, and experiment

Numrich has a mostly complete parts list, and a few parts as well...
usually has some sort of schematic as well...

I'm debating putting a repro stock on mine, as it currently looks to have a modern one from a 39A cowboy atm...
it'd hurt to have to cough up $120 for it, but it shoots so sweet it really deserves it
Old 06-24-2015, 02:40 PM
kyboy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks. I have most of the parts I need, or they are on the way. One problem, where does the carrier pin and carrier friction spring attach? Something has to push the carrier up with the new shell. Dang if I can figure out how it works and no pictures anywhere.

Kyboy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2015, 06:51 PM
Big Shrek
US Army Fire Fighter NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Somewhere there is a couple pics of the guts of a 37 on here,
IIRC, same guts...should give you a clue or two
Old 06-24-2015, 08:56 PM
kyboy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks I will look for it.
Old 06-27-2015, 12:52 AM
Sav22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Here are some pictures, If the carrier friction spring is what I think it is you don't need it, the guns pictured don't have it. I think it was something added very late. I know I have seen them but they are not on any 18, 20, 20-S, 20-A, 29 or 37 that I checked - I have a 47 somewhere in the rear of a safe and it may be the one I saw it on. It mounts on top of the cartridge stop, faces backwards and rubs on the round bottom of the carrier below the pivot pin. Wish there were a picture so I could be sure it's what I think it is.

Top gun is an 18 solid frame, note the longer locking lug and the single size carrier (no cartridge stop used). Bottom is a 20-S and for the most part is the same internally as the other pumps.

Old 06-27-2015, 02:10 PM
kyboy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thank you very much for your time and effort. The photos are magnificent and so helpful. Looks as if I may have purchased some extra parts, but overall I believe I have everything I need but the two forearm screws. Had to buy a stock to get the forearm, but I will resell the stock. With the photos I think I can put this little rifle together and make it go bang. Just did not want to try shooting the rifle until I was sure I had it together properly. After seeing the photos, my internal parts are all there. Thank you I really appreciate the photos.
Old 06-29-2015, 07:48 PM
kyboy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I need to install the forearm slide. How do you take remove the magazine tube? There is a complete how to on here somewhere, but I can not seem to locate it.

Shot the rifle today with a cb round. Have some minor issues to resolve, but it shoots hurrah. The locking bolt I purchased needs some adjusting but overall I am happy with the progress.
Old 06-30-2015, 10:18 PM
kyboy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Smile 20a Restoration

Now I am on intimate terms with this rifle. Must have disassembled the rifle 50times, cleaning parts and honing. The locking bolt I purchased fits ok, but not perfectly. I found the thread regarding tube disassembling. A couple of forearm screws and this rifle is back to a shooter. I would like to thank everyone who has helped with advice and photos. This is the greatest site.

Kyboy
Old 07-01-2015, 08:58 AM
Marlin567994
Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Would love to see pics of your rifle....
Old 07-02-2015, 08:37 PM
kyboy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Smile

Photos soon...
Old 07-09-2015, 03:29 PM
kyboy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Restored 20A

First I want to thank everyone for sharing their knowledge regarding the 20A. The photos were the best help of all. The rifle has been "completely" disassembled, cleaned, parts replaced, and reassembled. It shoots, wow. I have several of these little pumps. Anyone suggest a good product for cleaning the wood without removing the patina? How do I upload photos from computer? Asks for URL?

Kyboy
Old 12-20-2016, 10:16 AM
pjoy47

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I am looking for the forearm for my model 20a. Are there any other models that used the same forearm or one I can modify to fit it? Thats the only part I am missing from this gun.
Old 12-21-2016, 07:59 PM
kyboy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Smile

Have a like new stock, no forearm.
Old 01-03-2017, 04:28 PM
pjoy47

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I found a new forearm from Macon Gunstocks. It's new, but with a little work I can make it look like the old stock. I'm posting a picture of the Parts call out I found online. Top pic is from your postings below. Top pick is my gun. I "x'd" out all the parts I have. Anyone have any of the others or an assembly of what I need would be helpful. I found a few of the missing parts on Numrich. Just a fun project for me so I want to finish it and shoot. Anyone out there, much help would be appreciated!