Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 06-14-2015, 08:04 PM
Rimmed

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
BSA Int'l Mk2 Trigger Adjustment

I have a Mk2 which has the trigger adjustment screw showing 4 to 5 screw threads below the action. This was its position when I purchased the rifle some 18 months ago. The trigger pull is fine so I've felt no need to change it.

I would like to generate some discussion here by asking has anyone documented any trigger tension settings in relation to the number of screw threads exposed on trigger adjustment screw? Also I was wondering with the screw being projected so far below the action is anything detrimental happening mechanically inside the action?
Cheers
Rimmed

http://www.dropbox.com/s/8f8fsiftlbe...Screw.JPG?dl=0

Last edited by Rimmed; 06-14-2015 at 09:34 PM. Reason: Attempt to add attachment
Old 06-14-2015, 09:34 PM
rapidfire10ring
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
As I have several Martini's I can say from my point of view that each one is its own beast. That is that differing screw depths make differing weights on the trigger.

Assuming the trigger adjustment screw is the same length on each rifle (mass produced) the itty bitty spring comes into play too. And that spring can become stretched or compressed as it touches the bottom of the trigger. That in itself will allow differences and not to mention if someone switched out the springs.
I have my self murdered a couple of springs.

Last edited by rapidfire10ring; 10-13-2017 at 01:31 AM.
Old 06-14-2015, 10:05 PM
Rimmed

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Mk2 Trigger Adjustment Screw

Hello Rapidfire10ring, thankyou for your input. I acknowledge there's a lot of variables that come into play which finally determine the position of the adjustment screw. Do you have adjustment screws in a similar position on your Mk2's as shown in the attachment?

Rimmed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2015, 10:06 PM
Onearm
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (15)
I just use the 'turn the screw and see what you get' system. When I read a post in this forum telling me which screw does what, I gave a half turn on the trigger pull weight screw to see what would happen. I had a light trigger, now I have a very light trigger.
Old 06-14-2015, 10:17 PM
Rimmed

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks Onearm, thankyou for your input. As mentioned in my original thread the adjustment screw was in the position (as shown in the attachment) when I purchased the rifle and it still is. But, seeing the screw so far out led me to ask the question on the screw position.
Rimmed
Old 06-15-2015, 02:07 AM
Dickn52
US Army Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Isn't there a pair of 'set' screws that hold these adjustment screws tight?
Old 06-15-2015, 10:35 AM
M14man
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have 6 BSA's and I more or less set all triggers to be about 2 1/2 pounds. So they all feel sort of the same. The screws are not in the same depths on all of the rifles. There is a variation of depth.
Old 06-15-2015, 10:58 AM
Yank

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Rimmed, is that some kind of sleeve on the barrel?
Y
Old 06-15-2015, 12:27 PM
rapidfire10ring

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dickn52 View Post
Yes there is and I assumed that since you have a Martini, you would know this. It is imperative that they be loosened for any adjustment, then when satisfied with the adjustment tightened without mashing the threads of the adjusting screws.
Old 06-15-2015, 12:30 PM
Keeley
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (21)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dickn52 View Post
Yeah. TIP - Next time you have to loosen the lock screw to make an adjustment drop a small lead shot in the threaded hole so you squash it when you set the lock screw rather then the threads on the adjustment screw. T
Old 06-15-2015, 01:17 PM
rapidfire10ring

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeley View Post
Yeah. TIP - Next time you have to loosen the lock screw to make an adjustment drop a small lead shot in the threaded hole so you squash it when you set the lock screw rather then the threads on the adjustment screw. T
Nice idea!!
Old 06-15-2015, 01:30 PM
Dickn52
US Army Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Thanks everyone. I actually knew this in advance, but put it out as a sort of eye opener in case....But it was worth all the dings to my pride to see that I had awakened the sleeping giants so to speak. BTW, my new Phoenix Precision sight works like a charm on my MKII. (?)
Old 06-15-2015, 02:25 PM
Onearm
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (15)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rapidfire10ring View Post
Yes there is and I assumed that since you have a Martini, you would know this. It is imperative that they be loosened for any adjustment, then when satisfied with the adjustment tightened without mashing the threads of the adjusting screws.
It I a good thing that was mentioned before I adjusted mine. Otherwise, I might have done serious damage. I would not have recognized the screws on the side of the trigger guard as set screws for the trigger adjustment screws. This is one reason, I ask so many questions on this and other threads. There are many ways to damage a fine rifle, that are not obvious. Also, I greatly prefer to work with a torque wrench and known optimal torque settings.

Last edited by Onearm; 06-15-2015 at 02:28 PM.
Old 06-15-2015, 07:57 PM
Rimmed

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks everyone for your input, it is greatly appreciated. The idea of using a small lead shot under the locking screw I like.

Hello Yank, my Mk2 is free floated. If you look at thread 144 you will see my story about the Mk2 in question.
Cheers
Rimmed
Old 06-16-2015, 08:30 AM
aslap

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
If you can't find the lead shot....

A trip to Radio Shack for a roll of small diameter solder will work. Cut off a tiny bit and drop it in the hole and tighten away!

Tony