Gevarm French rifles and info - Page 4 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 07-13-2015, 02:07 PM
Pianolapete

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Thanks go to Natman for directing me to a photo upload site. Let's see what I've managed to attach here.

[URL=http://s1047.photobucket.com/user/pianolapete/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20150712_104023_zpsb8i2xzwb.jpg

Edited : Right, back to the drawing board!

Last edited by Pianolapete; 07-13-2015 at 02:09 PM.
Old 07-13-2015, 03:26 PM
Pianolapete

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Okay, I think I've got this now!
Here's a pic of the Gevarm E1 original box with its interesting handle design. The box is heavy cardboard with a handle of cardboard, reinforced with hessian or a similar material, which allows the handle to flex without breaking. The neat part is the design cut out of the handle material.

Old 07-13-2015, 03:43 PM
Pianolapete

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Here's the underside handle

and the printing on the box.
[URL=http://s1047.photobucket.com/user/pianolapete/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20150712_104054_zpsrvq3gkeg.jpg.html][/URL

If you spot a box like this, check it out. There may be a nice old semi-auto sitting and waiting for a new owner and fan.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2015, 09:27 PM
Lakeside Machine

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Very neat!! I'd love to stumble into one like that. I'd tear my pocket off to get my wallet out quick enough.

I recently found an original Gevelot scope and mount in its original red box. The optics have the post type reticle in a 4 power. The scope needs to be taken apart and cleaned and recharged with nitrogen. I plan on tackling this project and post the methods and progress how it turns out. I need to machine the tools to remove the lens retaining rings inside of the scope...... We'll see how it all goes!
Old 07-14-2015, 02:20 PM
Pianolapete

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The only thing in the case when it arrived from the dealer was the scope. Unfortunately it's not a Gevarm/Gevelot original but a 3x-7x x20 Carton scope made in Japan.

I googled Carton and, although there was nothing I could find about Carton sights, the company is well-known for making optical instruments. There was a piece by an astronomer writing about telescope eyepieces and he, at least, had positive things to say about those. It suggests that Carton was a reputable manufacturer.

It occurred to me that scopes could be serviced or refurbed but I know nothing about the subject. Can you recommend a source of information or a 'how-to' video or web page? I look forward to your scope refurb.

Going back to the case, the red compartmented component is vacuum formed plastic with a sort of velvet or flock finish. They didn't lavish money on the case but it must have been quite attractive when new and filled with all the goodies. There's some restoration to do but it's in pretty good shape for its age.
Old 07-14-2015, 04:31 PM
younggun22
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have an E1 that I would love to find a mazine for.

the triple K versions dont seem to work at all.
Old 07-14-2015, 06:21 PM
Pianolapete

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
YoungGun22, I'm sorry to hear that the Triple K mags don't work in your E1. Mostly because I've ordered three of 'em!
I've gained the impression that they maybe need a certain amount of fettling so I'll hope for the best - whenever they come! Triple K tell me they're on back order so I've no idea when I might get them.

What form does the failure to work take? Will they feed? Is it the ejection that's the problem? My impression is that the lips of the mag may need a little remedial work but I have no definitive info about a cure.

Has anyone on here had this problem and how did you get on with fixing it?
Old 07-14-2015, 10:08 PM
Lakeside Machine

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Glad this topic of magazines has come up.....perfect timing! I'm getting ready to post the next chapter and it is on the magazines. The aftermarket mags will work, and I'll show how to get them to work.
Old 07-15-2015, 09:47 AM
younggun22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakeside Machine View Post
Glad this topic of magazines has come up.....perfect timing! I'm getting ready to post the next chapter and it is on the magazines. The aftermarket mags will work, and I'll show how to get them to work.
Thats really great news!

I bought the rifle on the cheap with no magazine, and have modified a miscellaneous magazine to feed and eject.
Old 07-15-2015, 10:04 AM
Pianolapete

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
That'll be something to look forward to LM, and you're guaranteed an audience of at least two!

By the way, the postman brought me a package today containing a diecast 1:43 toy Jeep made by Gevarm. LM I know you'll have seen these in your searches for Gevarm material but did you buy any? They seem to want a good deal of money for a nice example, mostly from France, but I found a good one here in England complete with driver, hood (canopy), and most of the original paint and decals, for less than $10 including delivery. I tried taking some pics but they were pretty poor. Try a google search for Gevarm Jeep images if you want to see pics.

Last edited by Pianolapete; 07-15-2015 at 10:09 AM.
Old 07-15-2015, 10:45 AM
natman

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by younggun22 View Post
I have an E1 that I would love to find a mazine for.
the triple K versions dont seem to work at all.
Did you try Western Gun Parts? (see post #2)
Old 07-18-2015, 02:05 PM
Lakeside Machine

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pianolapete View Post
By the way, the postman brought me a package today containing a diecast 1:43 toy Jeep made by Gevarm. LM I know you'll have seen these in your searches for Gevarm material but did you buy any? They seem to want a good deal of money for a nice example, mostly from France, but I found a good one here in England complete with driver, hood (canopy), and most of the original paint and decals, for less than $10 including delivery. I tried taking some pics but they were pretty poor. Try a google search for Gevarm Jeep images if you want to see pics.
I have seen the toy products named GevarM, but I could not tie in the relationship with the firearms so I never got into them. The only thing I could think of why GevarM was involved was because of the detailed casting capability they possess.
Old 07-18-2015, 02:15 PM
Lakeside Machine

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Let talk about GevarM magazines!!

The next few pictures will show and hopefully clear up some GevarM mysteries and maybe even create a few more! I have collected an array of magazines that are originals, but also show differences as time passed with the company. I also have some of the Triple K aftermarket magazines and will show what to look for to have a successfully operational magazine. I have finished up my photo shoot of the items I wished to relay to the Gevnuts here......Here is a teaser of what is coming!

Old 07-18-2015, 07:18 PM
Pianolapete

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
That's quite a collection! Those 20s have to be the holy grail for Gevarmnuts and Gevarmints alike. How long did it take to amass that many mags?

There's some interesting variation between the mags but it's great to have an idea of what to look out for.

The Gevarm model Jeep was made for a company called France Jouets and has the FJ logo cast on the sides and the diamond Gevarm logo on the underside of what we call the bonnet. There's no doubt that it's the same company. These days they seem to be manufacturing industrial and automotive components but they were previously involved in vehicle manufacture and had a connection to the Hotchkiss Jeep through a guy called Cornil.

www.lr-mad.co.uk/en/umm-alter
Old 07-23-2015, 06:17 PM
Lakeside Machine

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
The most commonly sought after magazine of the Gevarm type is the type shown here. This type is the oldest of the series of magazines and also will fit most all the rifle models made. These have four sight holes on the left side of the magazine. Each hole represents 2 rounds remaining in the magazine. Some of these magazines will fit 9 actual rounds. Some of them can be marked with the logo and some can be bare. The most important feature of the GevarM magazines is the left feed lip. This lip must be longer than the right lip. This lip is the ejector for the operating system.