Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 06-27-2015, 06:43 AM
Pianolapete

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Red face

Just found this while searching images for 'Gevarm E1'.

armurerie-blackguns.com/fr/1088-carabine-semi-automatique-gevarm-modèle-e1-cal-22-lr-.html

I was looking for images of an E1 with checkering, which mine seems to have (if you look reeeaally close).

I'm sure that this shows the same type of cased set that I've bought, which differs from the one illustrated in your brochure in that there's a slightly different arrangement of the contents. Your brochure shows a set with a two-piece flat oilcan/spout whereas this has a tubular oil container in plastic. It looks like the suppressor/moderator in the case I bought is sitting in the compartment designed for the oil. I guess it's an aftermarket accessory.

I'm a little disappointed in that the checkering seems to be embossed rather than engraved but it's a good reference pic.
Old 06-27-2015, 09:33 PM
Lakeside Machine

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
The cased rifle in the link you have posted is much later and maybe the final version Gevarm produced. The muzzle is threaded and has the tangent sights with hooded front. The forearm is also the wide version. These features would make it a very late E2 or even the E3. In order for the rifle to be anE3, the magazine well would have to be the wide magazine body format. I have a magazine for an E3 rifle, but no rifle

The E3 rifles had the threaded muzzle as I mentioned and therefore had a moderator included in the cased package design. The rifle pictured is missing the moderator and it was indeed replaced with an oil bottle. The old E1 rifles had the simple notch/ramp sights and no threaded muzzles, so the cases would have a different arrangement as seen in the early brochure I posted.

I'd love to have an owner of an E3 post here as those rifles were the last of the Gevarms made. I have a transitional E2 rifle I plan on photographing and posting here in later posts.
Old 06-28-2015, 09:49 AM
Pianolapete

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
As you'll know if you've seen the pics from the Derbyshire dealer the picture quality isn't great but it certainly looks as though the muzzle is threaded on my gun. Maybe the moderator IS part of the kit included with the gun and you had to go and find your own oil if you bought one!

The illustration from the French dealer shows the green leaflet with E1 on it, same as mine, but maybe there was little or no difference in the 2 and 3 that warranted a new leaflet. I am so looking forward to seeing these two rifles, just to find out what I've got. The dealer I bought them from phoned me yesterday to tell me he had another Gevarm A model and would I like it. It's got an unstepped barrel and is open-bolt so maybe A1or A5. I'm waiting to hear if will chamber long-rifle rounds, in which case I may go for it - it's cheap enough at £90 ($140).

Like I said, it's great to have found a small community of Gevarmints (I'm using it even if no-one else does ) as I really enjoy stuff that is different. I found a list on another forum (Gunboards.com) compiled by a member called Alamas. It lists all the models and their characteristics but I'm not entirely sure that all the info is accurate. An example is the description of the A1, which is described as having a 'slim barrel'. I take this to mean a 'stepped' barrel - i.e. narrower from the front of the fore end wood. Looking at the illustrations that you've posted it seems as though the A1 has a non-stepped barrel in common with a couple of other A models. Am I missing something? Did some or all the A models have a mixture of stepped/non-stepped barrels?

I'm probably going to bore you with questions, so I apologise if I do, but I know you're a pretty committed info hound just from seeing your collection of Gevarm material.
If my rifle turns out to be an E3 I guess I'll have to document it carefully. You say that it would have a wide magzine body format if it were an E3. Can you exand on that a little please? Does the magazine itself differ or just the mag well and what might the justification be for the mod?

What happened to the other posters on this thread? Is it down to just you and me?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2015, 10:39 AM
Pianolapete

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Here's a couple of items that I found. Don't know if you've seen them?

www.studentsoftheworld.info/sites/divers/947.php These guys seem to be equivalent to our SAS or your Delta Force. Check the weapon pics.

http://www.smallarmsreview.com/displ...darticles=1469 Have a read of this and then have a look at the pics here -

http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Discreet_C...urgeoisie,_The

It seems that our .22s have an interesting heritage.

Last edited by Pianolapete; 06-28-2015 at 11:27 AM.
Old 06-28-2015, 08:02 PM
Lakeside Machine

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
The E3 version is still unclear for me as I do not have one nor know of anyone owning one that can communicate in English. I do know the magazine is dimensionally larger and will not fit any A-series rifles or the E1 rifle. I'll be doing a side by side evaluation of all original magazines and the aftermarket versions too. I speculate that the cased model in your link with tangent sights and threaded muzzle is an E3. The proof of this would lye in the larger magazine well dimensions.

There may be minimal conversation with this Gevarm topic as there simply arent many of them out there.....as time rolls on others will chime in. For years I sought a place that had the info I have already posted. I guess I'm taking the bull by the horns and making a record of what can be found as proof of what is out there. Hopefully others may add to it as I know I don't hold all.
Old 06-29-2015, 06:55 AM
n64atlas
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Here is the USA, these may fall into the NFA world because of the open bolt firing. They might be too easy to convert to full auto fire. Are the ones you have found, been here for a while and are not being currently sold new?
Old 06-29-2015, 09:47 AM
Lakeside Machine

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
All new semi-auto manufactured open bolt design firing mechanisms have been banned since 1981. If any new made firearm (semi or auto)is manufactured after 1981, it is considered NFA. Gevarms, and many other makers out there, predate this ruling and are exempt. There are rumors that the Gevarm was banned from importation by name before 1981. I couldn't not find any info on that statement. I strongly believe the rifles simply fell from viable sales because of costs. They found favor in other countries and that kept sales up to extend Gevelot rifle sales a bit longer. I do know that toward the last years of operations, Gevarm/Gevelot mainly made the takedown E series rifles only and dropped the A series as well as their center fire rifle too. Legislation finally killed the firm stationed in France and they were forced to try to start it or move it to Canada. This move was also unsuccessful and they folded as well.

I have looked for years and have never found a registered transferable NFA Gevarm rifle.....which puzzles me as other brands were registered and are in the NFA registry.

I think the old wives tales has placed the Gevarm in hiding and maybe that's why not many have been seen??? I dont know....maybe more out there have facts and documants to strengthen this thread.
Old 06-29-2015, 03:01 PM
n64atlas
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
did a search and found this link: Read some of the comments.
http://openboltguns.blogspot.com/200...rm-rifles.html
Old 06-29-2015, 07:17 PM
obx22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Very interesting! About 15 years ago while at a gun show in Hampton Va. I saw an E series in an olive drab fitted wooden case. IIRC the brand was stenciled in black, and the stocks may have been black or green, I just can't remember. What turned me off was the price, close to $1000. I do not believe it was select fire, and do not recall a suppressor or threaded muzzle. Never seen anything similar before or since.
Only negatives to these rimfires I can see is it's just about impossible to establish a baseline value. They are just too uncommon, reminds me of a Chiro rimfire pistol I handled years ago, when's the last time you saw a select fire .22 pistol made in Mexico?
My main complaint about mine is an esthetic thing, no two screws appear to have come from the same place. I'm serious, add the serrated end cap and mag release, bolt handle, take down screw, and it looks like it was assembled from parts cleanup. Only rifle I've ever seen like this.
The alloy bottom metal seems out of place with the high polish bluing, extremely precise, high tolerance sights, I don't know, it's just a strange little gun.
If you had to imagine a rifle designed by a committee, this would be it.
😉
Old 06-30-2015, 09:13 AM
Lakeside Machine

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
I have seen James Bardwells blog before, he did a great job bringing many unique firearms in the light with his research. Much of that has inspired me to post what I have found in this thread.

The comments section of those blogs can get quite.......interesting. Yes, there are some very nefarious fellows out there. Since his blog is world wide and anonymous, he gets a range of "tinkerers" boldly telling their methods of gunsmithing.

Obx22, the Mexican pistol you have seen years ago is a Trejo. They are quite rare. The company built them in semi auto and select fire. I have seen several offered for sale over the years that were transferable.......the last one at a price of over 10k. The kicker was they had a seven shot magazine. It zipped thru them pretty quick in auto mode.

Now back to your regularly scheduled Gevarm programming......
Old 06-30-2015, 11:44 AM
obx22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Ahhhhh, no wonder I couldn't Google a pic, all I could remember was the shape and the apple symbol on the slide
Thanks for the correction
While chatting with a friend last night who was looking over my A2, he mentioned seeing an olive drab E series assembled rifle in a shop, just couldn't remember where exactly (he's from WV). The Gev's are out there!
Old 07-02-2015, 06:21 AM
TerminatorX

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Gevarm

Hey Lakeside Machine, just found your old thread on the Gevarm.

I just realised my old man had which I used when I was a kid. I think he's still got it. I didn't realise they were so special. I think he's got the A1.

I used to use with open sights I guess you can mount a scope. What is their accuracy like? I can't recall it being that bad, but then I probably didn't really test it at the time.

I'm from New Zealand I think they were quite common in 60's/70's. But probably won't see many around today.
Old 07-02-2015, 07:00 PM
Pianolapete

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I'm happy to see new contributions to the thread - maybe we can revive interest in these unusual rifles. I'll contribute more as soon as I have access to my two purchases.
Old 07-12-2015, 06:50 AM
Pianolapete

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I thought I'd keep the thread moving along with a few pics.
As I'm not yet licensed to hold firearms, the two Gevarm rifles that I've bought in anticipation of getting a licence are in the care of a local registered dealer. So far I haven't seen anything but photos of them so I can't share anything here of any consequence, however, I am licensed to hold the gun case!
The dealer I bought the rifles from sent me the original case that the E1 was supplied in. You'll have seen the inside of these cases in photos, I'm sure, but I thought that for interest I'd show you the outside of the case.

At least, that was the intention! It seems that I don't yet have the privilege of posting attachments, or maybe I'm being particularly dense!
Old 07-12-2015, 07:29 AM
Pianolapete

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Maybe posting privileges are based on the number of posts I've made so I'll add this to my tally and just diverge briefly from Gevarms to Gevarmgunnut.

I originally discovered RFC through searching the net for reference to Gevarm rifles. I was led here by GGN's posts and found this fascinating forum. I like stuff that's out of the ordinary and Gevarms certainly fill the bill there. I've yet to discover how good or bad these guns are but many of the references I've seen have contained praise for this French marque.

Anyhow, I wondered about the lack of new posts from GGN and finally, after going through every page of the 'Walnut and Old Iron' thread started by Roothog, I found mention of GGN's passing. I gathered from his posts that he wasn't in good health and it was no real surprise to learn that he'd gone - it'll be three years on September 1st - just great disappointment and sadness.

That said, it's good to know that Lakeside Machine is the new Gevarm go-to man.