Any RFC members shoot a T/C Hawken rifle - Page 4 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-25-2015, 09:54 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (23)

My first T/C was a .54 Renegade that I built from a kit. Then I picked up a .50 Hawken and recently located an unfired Silver Elite.

Old 03-25-2015, 10:48 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Nice Silver Elite. That looks like a "keeper" to me.
Old 03-29-2015, 08:51 AM
cowboy4

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldWolf View Post
My first T/C was a .54 Renegade that I built from a kit.....
Me too.
It was my introduction to blackpowder shooting. With the curved steel buttplate and my plinkers mentality of wanting to shoot a lot, I soon learn that this thing would kick the snot out of me. I love it. I should probably get over to Friendship.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2015, 02:59 PM
Old_Sarg
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
yes 35 years ago I built a pair, a TC Hawken in .45 for my wife, it shoots I won a raft of events with this rifle shooting round balls.
and I built a .54 Renegade flintlock I built in the "poor boy" style all iron.

still have them both
Old 05-25-2015, 04:05 PM
kcajeel
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via Yahoo to kcajeel
My Hawken was originally a 54 cal. percussion that someone had not cleaned the barrel properly. It had rusted the bore beyond being shootable so ended up on a table at a local gun show. I bought it for 35 bucks. I ordered a 40 cal barrel kit for it and won the local blackpowder championship for the last four years. They are really nice guns.
I have a Lyman Hawken but really don't like the fact that it doesn't have a finger hook on the trigger guard. I don't like the buttstock cutout on the Lyman as well as the TC either.
Old 06-08-2015, 03:42 PM
Trailboss
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Built my TC Hawken 50 cal from a kit I purchased 40 years ago. Paid $95 at the time. Have killed a bunch of deer with it to date. I limit my shots to 100 yards and haven't lost an animal yet.
Old 06-15-2015, 07:08 PM
mushka
US Army Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My wife bought me a TC Hawkin 54 cal. kit back in the early 80's for Christmas one year. It sat in the basement untouched for about three years and one winter was being really a bad one so I finished out the gun. Took all winter, took it slow. Browned the barrel instead of blue or black.

I used to shoot it quite a bit and could keep the balls in a 25 yd pistol target black at about a hundred yards with a patched round ball and 90 grns of 2fg.

I bought my wife a TC .36 cal Seneca that she shot til she died. I've kept both rifles but don't shoot them much anymore. I can't really say why I don't because I do enjoy them. My daughter wants her mom's gun, I'll probably send it to her one of these days.

Muzzle loaders are a hoot once you get the system down.
Old 06-16-2015, 02:35 PM
LHitchcox

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have a .50 cal Renegade, which is just a Plain Jane Hawken. I also have a Cherokee with .32 and .45 barrels that is a squirrel rifle. This post reminded me of the fun I had shooting them. I have gone to the modern inlines for deer hunting, but it is time to get the sidelocks out for fun.
Old 04-10-2018, 09:24 PM
IronWing

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by M2HB View Post
Just curious if any of my fellow RFC members shoot a Thompson Center Hawken rifle?
I shoot a .50 cal flinter in competition. My BP club in Va has a shoot every 3rd Saturday except in Dec. plus 2 weekend shoots every year so it has been shot a lot.
Old 04-10-2018, 10:50 PM
nuclearmac
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Send a message via Yahoo to nuclearmac

have a thompson renegade 54 cal. bought at wally world 30 or so years ago , went to a thompson omega 50 cal and now have a knight kp1 444 with a backup spare 45-70 barrel wish i could find a couple more barrels for the kp1
Old 04-11-2018, 08:22 PM
mushka
US Army Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
To update my post of a couple years ago, I now have two additional muzzle loading rifles. Both are Traditions, one a .50 cal and the other a .32 cal. I'm starting to shoot more muzzle loaders now. Just slowing down some and trying to enjoy the system of shooting and cleaning them. TC was bought out by S W after their factory had a major fire and their machinery was ruined. Somehow S W decided the newer style would be better for them to build. I am not a fan of the inlines at all. I still shoot stick bows and an atlatl. I do own a 30 year of White Tailer two and a crossbow but they don't get much use.
Old 07-29-2018, 12:58 AM
IronWing

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by M2HB View Post
Just curious if any of my fellow RFC members shoot a Thompson Center Hawken rifle?
I also have a .54 T/C caplock Hawken on layaway at my favorite black powder shop that I will deer hunt with. The proprietor makes a hybrid round ball/conical bullet that he uses and says knocks the snot out of the deer he shoots.
Old 07-30-2018, 05:14 PM
Pat McCoy

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
a hybrid round ball/conical bullet
Huh? Either it is round, or it isn't (conical). Photo?

My 50 round ball has always put deer and antelope down with one hit (not always one shot
Old 07-30-2018, 08:13 PM
TRG3

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
My .50 T/C Hawken has taken several deer. With a patched roundball, deer always run off only to die a couple of hundred yards away, so it's necessary to follow up on shots even though you think you missed. A few years ago on a cold and snowy December afternoon, I shot at a big doe some 50 yards away that was feeding on some browse. She jumped at the shot and then went back to feeding. In the next couple of minutes, she mosied up an incline and disappeared over the top. I climbed down and walked over to where she was feeding. There was no blood, so I began to track her through the snow and still there was no blood. When I topped the hill, there she laid with a hole in the lung area. The first blood was when I turned her over and noticed the snow stained beneath her. In my experience, it's the norm for deer shot with a patched roundball to have little reaction to being hit.
Old 07-30-2018, 11:39 PM
Pat McCoy

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
The only one that ran after I hit it was about 20 feet away, then ran 40 yards or so, turned and fell over. While she was running I wonder HOW could I have missed. When I got to her, the shot went in the lower front, and out the sternum, with part of the heart and lungs hanging out the hole.

That is the only one I shot through, always collected the flattened round ball from the others. 187 gr rb in front of 120 grains 2f. I wonder if the extra velocity caused better flattening of the rb, with better results?

TCs usually used lower charges, and less velocity. Might make an interesting study for someone.