Cobbled together a 50 cal. Muzzle Loader Pistol - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-31-2015, 03:50 AM
Gizzy
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (149)

I know this is an older thread, but thought I would post this anyway. Not sure which browning solution my cousin used, but he would take it in the bathroom every day when he took a shower, to help the rust along. I believe it took several coats of browning solution and probably a week or more to get it where he wanted it. I still have the rifle, and its now about 25 years old, and most of the browning is still on the barrel except where it wore off from me carrying it for years.
Old 12-02-2018, 09:04 PM
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
So here it is... finally!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by toomanyguns View Post
Nice job on the pistol. Looks like mostly CVA parts. Would like to see the rifle. Those big round balls are very effective for close range hunting.

I made a .45 pistol similar to your .50 by cutting down a butchered up rifle barrel. I used to catch a lot of armadillos in a wooden box trap and used the pistol to dispatch them. Used 18 gr of 3F behind a round ball. This load was just right for killing the armadillo w/o tearing up the trap.

BTW, firing one of these w/ just wadding down into a yellowjacket nest is a good way to get rid of the yellowjackets.
So here it is... finally!!! I suspect that the majority of this rifle is CVA parts also, but then I have always liked the CVA traditional styles!!! This one is a 7/8ths twin the the CVA Mountain Rifle that I bought as a kit and then built many years ago. This rifles barrel is about 4 inches shorter and that is about all!!! Same caliber... a 50!!! Steel butt plate, pewter end cap, and german silver wedge plates, with steel wedges. Couldn't find a steel trigger guard that came with the original Mountain Rifle so I substituted a german silver trigger guard of the same style. Chose a brown plastic coated fiber glass ramrod as a replacement since no ramrod came with the rifle. And now for all practical purposes I have a completed rifle. Just need to finish the metal and wood and it will be complete!!! And now the pictures!!!
The LEFT side.
The RIGHT side.
The WEDGE PLATES.
And the PATCH BOX.
God Bless, Frank.

Last edited by tfrank; 12-03-2018 at 06:43 PM.
Old 12-03-2018, 08:20 AM
toomanyguns

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Good job on the rifle. Your inletting is good. Get any inletting black on your hands?

It's getting harder and harder to find parts for building ML's. Thirty or forty years ago you could just order them directly from CVA.

Having lost a barrel wedge or two from a similar gun that I had, I made my wedges captured so that there is a pin under the escutcheon that allows the wedge to remove only far enough to remove the barrel.

EDIT: The last ramrod I made was with a 3/8" dowel, a .38 Special case for one end, and a .32-20 case for the lower end. Drilled and tapped both cases for 10-32 accessories.

Good idea on the snap caps.

BTW, I watched the yellow jacket hole for a while and nothing but smoke came out of the hole (70 grains of 2F in a 20 ga.)

Last edited by toomanyguns; 12-03-2018 at 09:35 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2018, 09:43 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Good job on the rifle. Your inletting is good. Get any inletting black on your hands?

It's getting harder and harder to find parts for building ML's. Thirty or forty years ago you could just order them directly from CVA.

Having lost a barrel wedge or two from a similar gun that I had, I made my wedges captured so that there is a pin under the escutcheon that allows the wedge to remove only far enough to remove the barrel.

EDIT: The last ramrod I made was with a 3/8" dowel, a .38 Special case for one end, and a .32-20 case for the lower end. Drilled and tapped both cases for 10-32 accessories.

Good idea on the snap caps.

BTW, I watched the yellow jacket hole for a while and nothing but smoke came out of the hole (70 grains of 2F in a 20 ga.)
Inletting is OK at best. Bedding compound can hide a whole lot of "errors"!!! And since this was an eBay purchase that was stripped of all furniture. I consider myself lucky to have found what I am pretty sure are items identical to what was originally installed on this rifle.

I am a real fan of the old CVA "Mountain Rifle". You could get it in 3 calibers... .50, .54 and .58 calibers. I had the .50 and the .54, never got the .58 caliber. Sold the .54 later and never got the .58 caliber one. So much for the collection of CVA Mountain Rifles that I was going to do!!!

Don't know what "inletting black" is, I use a Sharpie for fitting metal and wood parts.

If you are talking tradition style muzzle loaders you are correct, parts can be difficult. Particularly the small old style wood screws. All I could find were zinc plated ones and of mediocre quality. I have the feeling that those screws are out there, I just can't find them. Just glad I have a lathe, most any cylindrical part is within my ability... I think???
God Bless, Frank.
Old 12-04-2018, 08:16 AM
toomanyguns

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Add .45 to the list of calibers in which the Mountain Rifle was made. I was also a fan and had .45 and .50.

I shot a squirrel with the .50 and took the head completely off. I did not make a practice of hunting squirrels with a .50 . Normally used a .32.

The larger bore Mountain Rifle as I recall was called the Big Bore Mountain Rifle.

I do most of my inletting using either a candle to soot up the parts or inletting black. The candle soot is not quite as messy as the inletting black. I bought inletting black from the major black powder suppliers, such as Dixie, Track of the Wolf, Log Cabin Shop, and others. It was a little bit like black shoe polish and was VERRRY pervasive. But it worked well. Comes in a tiny little jar about 1 1/4" dia. X about 1 1/4" tall. A little bit goes a long way.

As far as the little screws, I found some unplated ones at one of the major ML suppliers, but I don't remember which one.

I have to confess to using bedding compound myself. Brownell's used to sell some that was walnut color. Don't think they have it anymore.

Last edited by toomanyguns; 12-04-2018 at 08:26 AM.
Old 12-04-2018, 09:13 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I have always found...

Quote:
Add .45 to the list of calibers in which the Mountain Rifle was made. I was also a fan and had .45 and .50.

I shot a squirrel with the .50 and took the head completely off. I did not make a practice of hunting squirrels with a .50 . Normally used a .32.

The larger bore Mountain Rifle as I recall was called the Big Bore Mountain Rifle.

I do most of my inletting using either a candle to soot up the parts or inletting black. The candle soot is not quite as messy as the inletting black. I bought inletting black from the major black powder suppliers, such as Dixie, Track of the Wolf, Log Cabin Shop, and others. It was a little bit like black shoe polish and was VERRRY pervasive. But it worked well. Comes in a tiny little jar about 1 1/4" dia. X about 1 1/4" tall. A little bit goes a long way.

As far as the little screws, I found some unplated ones at one of the major ML suppliers, but I don't remember which one.

I have to confess to using bedding compound myself. Brownell's used to sell some that was walnut color. Don't think they have it anymore.
I have always found two small plastic vials of black and brown dye with both AcraGlas and the other bedding systems that I have bought over the years. And I will tell your that just a tiny bit of that dye is needed to give the proper color to the bedding mixture.
God Bless, Frank.
Old 12-05-2018, 08:43 PM
10ring1

TPC Rating: 
97% (58)
Glad to come across this thread. I am planning to build a flintlock pistol just like this. Just picked up a nice Lyman deerstalker that just needed a good refinish. Can't wait to get it out after Xmas Pa flintlocking. I looked into buying a pistol but might try to build one myself. It will be just for shooting at the range for now.
Old 12-06-2018, 07:51 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
That is something that...

That is something that is that I DON'T have... a flintlock of any sort. And I have been thinking, that is a deficiency that needs to go away!!! Like I need another project!!! But I may yet scratch that itch!!!
God Bless, Frank.
Old 01-04-2019, 07:34 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
So...

So, I have taken the rifle back apart, did quite a bit of sanding and polishing. Sanding on the wood, polishing on the metal!!! So far there are 3 coats of Minwax "Cherry" finish on the stock, and it is looking pretty good!!! A few more coats and a rotten stone rub-down or two should finish up the rifles stock. Then put all of the furniture back on the stock except for what needs to be browned as that is the finish that I have always favored for the traditional style muzzle loaders.
I'll get pictures up as soon as I can figure out why both cameras and my cell phome won't down load pictures to my computer.
God Bless, Frank.
Old 01-07-2019, 09:06 PM
mushka
US Army Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
In the 80's I built one of the TC kits. It was recommended to degrease the barrel to use boiling water, or near boiling, with baking soda mixed in the water. I used one of the trays that they used to put water in and put wallpaper with glue to get it to stick to the wall. I don't even know if the trays for wallpaper are available any more. Plugged the barrel and the nipple hole immersed the barrel in the solution. Seemed to work as the plum browning stuck well after the application step. Two pounds of baking soda for the solution.
Old 11-01-2019, 01:43 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Well...

Well the rifle is finally finished!!! Put it all back together about 2 or 3 days ago!!! All steel parts are browned. The stock is properly refinished. German silver parts hand buffed with 400 grit and the 1 "pewter" part left as purchased!!! And if I say so myself it looks quite nice for a cobbled together assortment of parts primarily from eBay!!! I will edit this post later to add pictures of the finished rifle, or maybe just do a separate post of the pictures!!!
God Bless, Frank.