Cobbled together a 50 cal. Muzzle Loader Pistol - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 12-13-2014, 09:27 PM
tfrank
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Talking Cobbled together a 50 cal. Muzzle Loader Pistol

Cobbled together a 50 cal. Muzzle Loader Pistol that was put together from various bits and pieces that I picked up off of eBay!!! I had a hankering for a MZ pistol that would be a match-up for a side lock that I was also piecing together from eBay bits and pieces, and this is what I wound up with!!! Current load is 60 grains of Triple-7, with a patched round ball, and a #11 cap!!! I suspect that I will take a deer with it as it certainly has the power to do so!!! Still have quite a bit of work to do on it and I need to get all of the bluing off of it so I can brown it as that is what I prefer for the older style side locks.

I picked two up "pistol barrels" that were actually a rifle barrel that had been crudely cut into two pieces. In fact the hacksaw marks were quite evident in the eBay pictures, but I knew what I was buying. In fact I got the barrel pieces and a few other misc. pieces that were included in the auction for the minimum bid. Machined both ends of the shorter barrel piece, fabricated a breech plug and a barrel for the nipple. Had to file two dovetail grooves, one for the barrel tennon and one for the front sight. The existing dovetail was in a suitable location for the rear barrel sight.
Got the stock next, but it was for a 45 caliber pistol so I had to do a bit of inletting to get the slightly larger 50 caliber barrel to fit. The "ramrod" that came with the stock is a piece of wooden dowel that you would buy at a hardware store for gluing pieces of wood together, and I am still using it for the time being even though it is a bit on the short side.
And did you notice... paint spray nozzles of a certain type make excellent "snap caps" for any side lock MZ that uses a #11 cap!!! Well enough for tonight!!!
God Bless, Frank.

Last edited by tfrank; 11-17-2019 at 08:02 PM.
Old 12-14-2014, 09:06 AM
toomanyguns
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Nice job on the pistol. Looks like mostly CVA parts. Would like to see the rifle. Those big round balls are very effective for close range hunting.

I made a .45 pistol similar to your .50 by cutting down a butchered up rifle barrel. I used to catch a lot of armadillos in a wooden box trap and used the pistol to dispatch them. Used 18 gr of 3F behind a round ball. This load was just right for killing the armadillo w/o tearing up the trap.

BTW, firing one of these w/ just wadding down into a yellowjacket nest is a good way to get rid of the yellowjackets.
Old 12-15-2014, 08:24 PM
tfrank

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by toomanyguns View Post
Nice job on the pistol. Looks like mostly CVA parts. Would like to see the rifle. Those big round balls are very effective for close range hunting.

I made a .45 pistol similar to your .50 by cutting down a butchered up rifle barrel. I used to catch a lot of armadillos in a wooden box trap and used the pistol to dispatch them. Used 18 gr of 3F behind a round ball. This load was just right for killing the armadillo w/o tearing up the trap.

BTW, firing one of these w/ just wadding down into a yellowjacket nest is a good way to get rid of the yellowjackets.
I can do that!!! Just won't be real soon!!!

Not me!!! I would think that would be a really good way to give then a serious attitude problem!!! However I did manage to eliminate a yellow jacket nest with a small shop vacuum!!! Set the vacuums hose right in the entrance to the nest... then started poking it with a long wire rod. Not a single one excaped!!! A good shot of RAID down the hose and in a few minutes all was quite. I did, however, wait until the next day to empty it!!!
God Bless, Frank.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2014, 02:44 PM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Nice work Frank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toomanyguns View Post
As in making them leave the nest all po'd?
Old 01-21-2015, 01:31 AM
tfrank

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Smile Well I broke...

Well I broke the pistol down completely and I am getting ready to do a proper finish on the metal and wood. The section of rifle barrel that I used for this pistol was originally blued but I like a nice deep dark PLUM BROWN finish as I think it is more original, and even if it isn't that is what I like!!!
Had a bit of rust in the threads of the drum and breech plug so I plan to use a bit of anti-seize when I put those parts back in the barrel.
I'll be adding in some pictures as things progress along. I'll warn you now... I take my time with projects, so don't expect this to finish quickly!!!
God Bless, Frank.

Last edited by tfrank; 01-21-2015 at 01:44 AM.
Old 01-21-2015, 08:17 AM
ShootsAtSky
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Nice work!

Now for a silly thought that popped into my head.. third cup of coffee. Could that second barrel be sleeved for a .22 breech loader with a side lock firing pin?

Would be nice to have a 'matched' pair.

Bob
Old 01-21-2015, 07:42 PM
tfrank

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Smile Could that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShootsAtSky View Post
Nice work!

Now for a silly thought that popped into my head.. third cup of coffee. Could that second barrel be sleeved for a .22 breech loader with a side lock firing pin?

Would be nice to have a 'matched' pair.

Bob
Could that second barrel be sleeved for a .22 breech loader... I'm certain it can be, but I am not the least bit interested in doing such a project. Besides I was thinking of a second 50 cal piston with a custom hand carved stock. One that won't try to bruise my middle finger when I shoot it with a 60 grain load of Triple-7. It does shoot nice though!!! I think I ought to be able to take a deer with it, what do you think???
God Bless, Frank.
Old 01-21-2015, 09:06 PM
ShootsAtSky

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Don't know how fast burning T-7 is for that 11 inch barrel, but the ball should have lots of energy for a white tail.

What are you thinking for a way to move the push off of your finger and into your palm/wrist?

Not much opportunity to delay or spread the recoil with the breech so close to the hand.

Bob
Old 01-22-2015, 08:01 PM
tfrank

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Well I made a little...

Well I made a little progress, but I am disappointed in the quality of the browning on the barrel.

Seems like no matter what I did, I couldn't get rid of the blotchiness and streaking in the finish.
"A" shows the barrel polished and ready for browning.
"B" show the barrel, breech plug and thimble just after the browning solution has been applied and I am waiting for the 10 minutes of "working time" to finish.
"C" shows the barrel after at least 6 applications of the "Plum Brown" solution. Both the old and new solutions were used with no difference in the results. This takes me back to the CVA 50 caliber "Mountain Rifle" that I built from a kit back it the late 70's where I couldn't get the barrel to brown uniformly either.
So if anyone here has an idea as to why I can't get the metal a nice dark uniform brown... I would love to hear from you.
So I guess I'll start working on the stock and such.
God Bless, Frank.

Last edited by tfrank; 11-17-2019 at 08:07 PM.
Old 01-22-2015, 08:31 PM
Pat McCoy

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
What is the temp and humidity in your shop?

I had to put my barrel in a box with a light bulb and shallow tin of water to get decent browning.
Old 01-22-2015, 09:50 PM
tfrank

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
The instructions...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat McCoy View Post
What is the temp and humidity in your shop?

I had to put my barrel in a box with a light bulb and shallow tin of water to get decent browning.
The instructions on the "Plum Brown" bottles said to heat the part to be browned until a drop of water sizzles, about 275 degrees, then apply the browning solution. Let it work for 10 minutes, then rinse it off with water and polish it with fine steel wool. And that is what I did.
I degreased with denatured alcohol the first time and I still had the blotchy, streaky finish, so I degreased with dish washing soap a second time and redid the browning again. SAME RESULT.

I just re-read the directions and apparently I wasn't supposed to rinse with water after each application of the "Plum Brown" which I did do for the first 2 or 3 applications. The last 3 applications I heated the barrel then re-applied the "Plum Brown" without rinsing with water, so the last 3 applications were done exactly as the directions said. Still wound up with a streaky, blotchy finish. I would like a better finish. What product did you use??? I used Birchwood Casey "Plum Brown"

Can you give me a step by step of how you did the browning on you BP???
God Bless, Frank.
Old 01-22-2015, 10:07 PM
ShootsAtSky

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Haven't tried Plum Brown, so take this with a grain of salt.

Many dishwashing soaps have oils to make your hands feel better, try either the blue Dawn, or better Simple Green.

Most blueing doesn't like the chlorine and other chemicals in tap water, try distilled water from the grocery store for both the soap and the rinses.

I've done a lot of reading on old blue and brown methods, and almost all recommended a 'soft' steel brush. Some more reading showed that the expensive steel wool that wood working shops sell is considered 'soft' in addition to not being oiled. Cheap steel wool is usually 'hard' and can strip the blueing and browning, as well as oiled which causes problems with following treatments.

Bob
Old 01-23-2015, 12:17 AM
Pat McCoy

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
I've not used Plum Brown.

I use Wakhon Bay "True Brown" from "Track of the Wolf" It must be perfectly decreased to keep any splotching away. Alcohol is supposed to work, but hasn't for me. I use acetone.

This is a multi-day process (3-14 days depending on humidity).

ToTW used to have a sheet about using this stuff. He may have it on his website.
Old 01-23-2015, 08:52 PM
tfrank

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Smile Thank you...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat McCoy View Post
I've not used Plum Brown.

I use Wakhon Bay "True Brown" from "Track of the Wolf" It must be perfectly decreased to keep any splotching away. Alcohol is supposed to work, but hasn't for me. I use acetone.

This is a multi-day process (3-14 days depending on humidity).

ToTW used to have a sheet about using this stuff. He may have it on his website.
Thank you for the info ToTW, very informative!!!
God Bless, Frank.
Old 05-31-2015, 01:46 AM
tfrank

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I was thinking of...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShootsAtSky View Post
Don't know how fast burning T-7 is for that 11 inch barrel, but the ball should have lots of energy for a white tail.

What are you thinking for a way to move the push off of your finger and into your palm/wrist?
Not much opportunity to delay or spread the recoil with the breech so close to the hand.

Bob
I was thinking of carving an extra stock with a different hand grip area, but then that would probably make me want to just complete a second pistol!!! Well that is what I've been thinking!!! But for this season... just go with it as is!!!
God Bless, Frank.