Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-31-2014, 04:27 AM
Bill Akins
US Marines Veteran GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The Ruger 10/22 "BB" bolt/firing pin fix

Some people already know about this, some don't. So for those that don't, here it is.

The "staked" area on top of the Ruger 10/22's bolt, that is supposed to keep the firing pin from rising up, doesn't really do its job and is in my opinion, a design flaw. If you take the bolt out of your 10/22, you can move the tail of the firing pin so that the front of the firing pin rises up and down. You can actually move it to where the firing pin would not contact the rim of the cartridge case to fire it. This can cause misfires.

There are aftermarket bolts available (expensive) that fix this by having a crosspin thru the bolt and over the top of the firing pin so it cannot rise up as the bolt flies back and forth. Of course the crosspin hole was drilled before the aftermarket bolt was hardened. If you have a drill press or a mill, and if you don't mind breaking a few carbide bits and chancing getting a broken bit stuck in the hole, here's a tutorial on doing that
https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...d.php?t=251029

An easier, quicker and cheaper fix is to file an all steel or copper coated BB equally on each side to where it is just a tad wider than the slot in the top of the bolt over the firing pin. The best way to do that is to grip the BB in your vice with the area you want to file up higher than the vice. File that. Then turn the BB over and do the same thing. Then tap it into the slot on the front of the bolt with a hammer so that the bottom of the BB rests just above the firing pin, keeping it from rising up. Then file the top of the BB flush with the top of the bolt. That's it. Below is one I just finished doing. (Red arrow in one pic points to BB).

If a mod or anyone from admin sees this, would you please add it to your "10-22 tips and tricks" section. Thanks. I'd have e mailed it to you as the tips and tricks section instructs, but my yahoo mail won't let me put pictures into the body of my e mail along with the text.

Old 03-31-2014, 07:14 AM
Culprit1
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (115)
Sorry, but this is nothing new. I remember it being posted in 2007 or 2008. I actually tried this and it worked for a while, but the BB eventually dislodged due to the constant pounding in the semi-auto. Others have had the same experiences. This is probably why it is not in the tips and tricks section. A crosspin is still the best solution.
Old 03-31-2014, 10:00 AM
lewischuck2000

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I bet a quick tack weld on top of the BB would keep it in place and save a few drill bits.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2014, 12:18 PM
Recluse
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Got a funny story for ya, when I got my milling machine one of the first things I did with it was drill the cross pin hole. Upon breaking out of the other side of the bolt the bit snagged and broke in the hole because of the case hardening on the bolt.
So I just left the bit in there as the cross pin, works perfectly and I didn't have to hunt for a pin the right size.
Old 04-04-2014, 12:48 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (74)
Send a message via AIM to Chaser
Quote:
Originally Posted by Recluse View Post
Got a funny story for ya, when I got my milling machine one of the first things I did with it was drill the cross pin hole. Upon breaking out of the other side of the bolt the bit snagged and broke in the hole because of the case hardening on the bolt.
So I just left the bit in there as the cross pin, works perfectly and I didn't have to hunt for a pin the right size.
Ha I did the same thing on the first one I did...have not done one since/not worth a $15 hi-dolla bit...after that I opted to use a roll pin..done about 3 dozen since then with the roll pins and NOT had one ever come out. But the full meal deal from CPC or Que is the REAL DEAL.

As a good BandAid and in a pinch the roll pin is much better than a BB.

Old 04-04-2014, 01:05 PM
Markbo

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
Bingo.
Old 04-04-2014, 04:26 PM
Bill Akins
US Marines Veteran GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Recluse wrote:
Got a funny story for ya, when I got my milling machine one of the first things I did with it was drill the cross pin hole. Upon breaking out of the other side of the bolt the bit snagged and broke in the hole because of the case hardening on the bolt. So I just left the bit in there as the cross pin, works perfectly and I didn't have to hunt for a pin the right size.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaser View Post
Ha I did the same thing on the first one I did...have not done one since/not worth a $15 hi-dolla bit...after that I opted to use a roll pin..done about 3 dozen since then with the roll pins and NOT had one ever come out. But the full meal deal from CPC or Que is the REAL DEAL.

As a good BandAid and in a pinch the roll pin is much better than a BB.

The two above broken expensive hardened bits underscores what I was saying about an alternative to drilling the bolt. I like the roll pin idea that Chaser used better than the BB option I wrote earlier about. Although the BB works, it relies on the molecular compression of the BB in the bolt's top channel to not come out. And that means that after a few years of micro corrosion around the BB, it MIGHT indeed loosen and fall out (of course it's super easy to just make and tap in another one). But with the split and spring loaded roll pin that Chaser used, it doesn't just rely on the molecular compression of "jamming in" in the BB. Instead the roll pin being heat treated and spring tensioned, will have constant spring pressure against the walls of the bolt channel that would not change nor become loosened even if the split pin became micro corroded. I think that's superior to the BB fix. Now why didn't I think of that? Lol.

Old 04-04-2014, 04:34 PM
Maricopa Smitty
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Neat idea!

Has anyone been able to actually quantify the problems with the un-pinned or un-staked firing pin? By that I mean measuring or recording what happens before and after the 'operation', with no other variables involved to muddy the waters. Anecdotally I'm aware of the 'goodness' that pinning the FP adds, but I've never seen specific evidence.
Old 04-04-2014, 04:51 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (74)
Send a message via AIM to Chaser
Colorado residents are experiencing unprecedented low Glaucoma rates..Uhummm..they say anyway...no real hard evidence however.
Old 04-04-2014, 06:28 PM
Tom in Mesa
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I like the roll pin fix.
What size roll pin did you use?
thx
Old 04-04-2014, 06:45 PM
birdman46g
US Navy Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
As i see it with the charging handle sitting across the top of the bolt there isn't any up and down movement in the firing pin or i am missing something .
Old 04-04-2014, 06:58 PM
ThaDoubleJ

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Send a message via AIM to ThaDoubleJ
Chaser, we don't have to make up a fake disease like heartburn anymore. Anyone can just drive to Denver and buy a sack. We broke into the top ten this year for spring break because of it !

OP - That BB will come out. Every one of mine did. Hammer a roll pin in there like shown above, make sure everything is crazy clean, and glob a dab of JB weld on top, let it cure, and file it smooth. All my rifles save my newest one (Que'd) have the roll pin, and none have moved even the smallest bit.
Old 04-04-2014, 07:32 PM
douglas34474
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maricopa Smitty View Post
Neat idea!

Has anyone been able to actually quantify the problems with the un-pinned or un-staked firing pin? By that I mean measuring or recording what happens before and after the 'operation', with no other variables involved to muddy the waters. Anecdotally I'm aware of the 'goodness' that pinning the FP adds, but I've never seen specific evidence.
There was a lengthy discussion of this topic a while ago.

If you want to see how far your firing pin COULD go, take the action out of the stock. Leave the trigger group in place and remove the barrel. Try lifting the tip of the firing pin and see how high it goes.
Old 04-04-2014, 09:30 PM
Recluse

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Neat idea!

If it didn't work we wouldn't all be doing it.
Anything that adds repeatability most likely helps accuracy.
Old 04-05-2014, 12:59 AM
Bigbore

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Neat idea!

I can quantify it for you.

The more people that do it, the better the results.