Any interest in a short range match category ? - Page 5 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 12-03-2014, 04:29 PM
Keeley
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (21)
December Air Rifle

Tom Billeter, (Keeley), Tucson AZ
Rifle=Anschutz 2002 SSP
Sights=Anschutz Rear W/adj. aperture, Centra 22mm Front W/adj. aperture. Both on 20mm blocks.
Cal.= .177
Pellets= Vogel Merlin Match 8.1gr
Offhand
Outdoor
10 meters
Target=NRA AR-5/10
As follows- 8,8,8,4,7,7,6,7,8,9 = 72

As above except:

Rifle=Walther LG90 SSP
Sights=Walther front and rear W/adjustable apertures, on 20mm blocks.
AS follows-7,6,7,8,5,6,6,10,8,10 = 73/2X

Shoot Straight!

T
Old 12-03-2014, 07:40 PM
artanmac
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Great shooting Tom!
Old 12-03-2014, 08:14 PM
Keeley
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (21)
Scores

Quote:
Originally Posted by artanmac View Post
Great shooting Tom!
Thanks, There are days when I'm happy to shoot half that. The two things I fear most are caffeine and those little breezes you usually don't even pay attention to.

T
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2014, 09:59 AM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeley View Post
The two things I fear most are caffeine and those little breezes you usually don't even pay attention to.

T
The stinky ones are harder to ignore.
Old 12-04-2014, 01:31 PM
artanmac

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
12/4/2014
Aaron (artanmac)
Match 10 meter air rifle
Daisy 853
Aperture sight
Rws diablo basic pellet
Indoors
Offhand
A17 target

74/100
Old 12-04-2014, 02:41 PM
Kestrel4k

TPC Rating: 
100% (13)
An interesting thread and I wouldn't mind a chance to contribute.

Unfortunately, my usable distance is maxed out at only 20 feet. I can shrink that A-17 to 60% when I print it out, that would should work pretty well.
I will effectively be punching a larger hole due to the scaling, but since I only do .177's anyway, that shouldn't be to egregious.

At any rate, I'm going to give that 10-bull target a try, just for my own tracking if nothing else.

Last edited by Kestrel4k; 12-04-2014 at 03:02 PM.
Old 12-04-2014, 03:40 PM
Oldblades
US Marines Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (18)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al the Infidel View Post
The stinky ones are harder to ignore.
Thats a deer call. Not supposed to ignore them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9GU4P-1AWI
Old 12-05-2014, 12:52 PM
David Valdina
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Barefoot Bay, Florida and Cape Cod, Massachusetts
TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
12/5/14 Outdoor range

David Valdina, 10 meter offhand match, Outdoors at the Indian County Range in Sebastian, Florida.

12/5/14, overcast and occasional rain. I taped a piece of cardboard backer over the top of the target to act as a roof of sort, worked well. As long as there isn't wind to blow the rain sideways, a small roof is all you need to keep the paper dry.

Daisy 853 with peep sight rear and aperture front sight.
.177 Daisy Pellets
10,8,7,7,8,9,8,10,7, & 9=83/100

My personal best. The targets before and after were not good. Some holes outside of the scoring rings. Shot with two friends and we all are unhappy with how much we wobble around on the target.
Old 12-05-2014, 01:49 PM
ShootsAtSky
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Since there's a couple of us shooting Daisy 853/953's, I have a question about pellets.

My best so far has been shooting Crossman Premier Super Match.

I see Aaron shooting RWS Diabolo Basics, and David shooting RWS and Daisy, but not specific.

Did any of you come up with that particular pellet thru testing, or just what was available?

I did try the Daisy Avanti Match pellets, and my 853 opened up almost two inches. Not a surprise as I had to force them into the breech.

I also tried a mix of Crossman HP, some old RWS SuperPoint and a couple of others from backyard pest control with a Cummins B3, but in the 853 the Crossman premier super match were at least a quarter inch tighter at 10 meters from a rest.

I've got a selection of HN and RWS coming, since I like to practice with a scaled down BR50 target when I can't get to the range. And I was wondering if anyone had found a particularly good weight and head size for the 853.

Added: I'm holding off posting till I learn to stand up instead of using a rest. So far every target has at least two zero's. I'm using working till 3 AM on a couple of projects as a excuse.

Bob

Last edited by ShootsAtSky; 12-05-2014 at 02:06 PM.
Old 12-05-2014, 02:43 PM
Kestrel4k

TPC Rating: 
100% (13)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShootsAtSky View Post
Since there's a couple of us shooting Daisy 853/953's, I have a question about pellets.

My best so far has been shooting Crossman Premier Super Match.

I see Aaron shooting RWS Diabolo Basics, and David shooting RWS and Daisy, but not specific.

Did any of you come up with that particular pellet thru testing, or just what was available?

I did try the Daisy Avanti Match pellets, and my 853 opened up almost two inches. Not a surprise as I had to force them into the breech.

I also tried a mix of Crossman HP, some old RWS SuperPoint and a couple of others from backyard pest control with a Cummins B3, but in the 853 the Crossman premier super match were at least a quarter inch tighter at 10 meters from a rest.

I've got a selection of HN and RWS coming, since I like to practice with a scaled down BR50 target when I can't get to the range. And I was wondering if anyone had found a particularly good weight and head size for the 853.
Hello Bob,
There was a recent discussion of this topic here at the CMP forums.
I did do a fair bit of 25-yd testing with my 853 and have tabulated my results in this post here, some good results were found with even some rather inexpensive pellets. Hope this helps,

Last edited by Kestrel4k; 12-05-2014 at 02:49 PM.
Old 12-05-2014, 03:22 PM
artanmac

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Pellets

Off the bench , at 10 meters,I tried rws hobby's, rws diablo basics, and local gun store crosman wadcutters. The hobby's shot one ragged hole. The basics were slightly larger and my rifle wasn't impressed with the crosman. I ran out of hobby's so I'm using the basics for now. I can't blame a bad shot on the pellets shooting offhand. I'm definitely not that good.
I will be getting and trying some of the other pellets you guys listed. I could find one that shoots better, so thanks.

David that is a great score. Congrats on the personal best. Those moments are a lot of fun.
Old 12-05-2014, 03:59 PM
Kestrel4k

TPC Rating: 
100% (13)
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Valdina View Post
I can afford to buy targets, and at under a dime a page, these may cost you less than making photocopies. And the tag board makes it a LOT easier to score the targets. Pellets at their slow speeds tend to tear paper making out where they hit difficult.

A 17
50 Foot Small Bore
11 Bullseye, 1 Sighting, 10 Record
Official NRA Target
Size: 10 1/2 X 12
Type: Tag Board
Per 250: $23.50……….9.4 cents each
Per 500: $37.50……….7.5 cents each
Per 1000: $67.00……..6.7 cents each
(Plus shipping)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pointfocus View Post
Here is a downloadable link for printing your own. A A17 50 foot rifle target.

http://www.lassensharpshooters.com/PrintableTargets.htm

10 for record and two extra for sighters.

This is ONE A17 WITHOUT ADVERTISING. http://www.lassensharpshooters.com/P...re%20Rifle.pdf
Could someone do me a quick favor with their 10.5"x12" A17, can they take a precise measurement of the OD of the outermost circles?
That would help me in scaling down my 8.5"x11" printouts for my 20ft shooting distance.
My figures have gotten me in the ballpark but want to make sure I am as close as possible.

Thanks,

Last edited by Kestrel4k; 12-05-2014 at 04:27 PM.
Old 12-05-2014, 04:09 PM
David Valdina

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Pellets I use

I have some Diablo up North recommended to me by Todd Banks and they seem to shoot well. And up North I have a mix of inexpensive pellets by Crossman and Daisy. I have not shot off the bench to test them, only to get a rifle sighted in. I have a Daisy 853 there as well, but it is stock in all regards and I need to learn, then do a trigger job. I have two RWS 34 rifles there. One in .177 and one in .22 and they both have outstanding triggers and shoot well. Here in Florida I just have the Daisy 853 but it is a dandy. And I have Daisy air pistols both places too.

Pellets I have here in Florida:

The Daisy Precision Max is 8.2 gr. and seems to be the least diameter of my pellets. I happened to be using those today. They look beat up too.

I have some Daisy Wadcutter weighing 7.7 gr. and they seem to be of a correct diameter and maybe a bit cleaner edges.

I have RWS R 10 at 7.7 gr. and they look very well made.

I have RWS Supermag field line at 9.3 gr. and they look very well made, and are very tight to the gun. I have trouble getting the pellet chambered and the bolt to lock down. I would expect them to be very accurate.

And I keep in mind that I can see my front sight wobbling a course all over the bull and beyond. I have a good trigger on the gun which was once owned as a personal gun of Ken Reeves who won his share of matches with it. So not putting the pellet in the black is all operator error. If I ever get to the point where I am able to shoot all 8, 9 & 10s, then I may worry about which pellet I use. But for now, it doesn't matter too much. I know when the shot is released that I shot badly if off the target. And to some extent, I have an idea when the shot was good.
Old 12-05-2014, 04:23 PM
David Valdina

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Kestral4k, send me your USPS address

Kestral4k, Send me your U.S. Postal address and I will mail you some targets. I have done what you are doing many times and wish there were official dimensions published someplace. Probably so, but I don't know where. I would think that if you have 20 feet to shoot in, the reduction would be 20/33 or 60.6% and a good print shop may be able to set up a photo reduction to get you there. The 10 meter NRA air rifle target may be pretty close to what you are after. Of course the pellet is larger in proportion, but what the heck. We are competing against ourselves and keeping track of our progress. We allow .177 and .22 and it's all on the honor system.

Anyone wanting a few A-17 targets drop me a line, e-mail is preferred rather than PM here on RFC. I look at e-mail all the time and not so for PMs.

[email protected]
Old 12-05-2014, 04:39 PM
Kestrel4k

TPC Rating: 
100% (13)
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Valdina View Post
Kestral4k, Send me your U.S. Postal address and I will mail you some targets. I have done what you are doing many times and wish there were official dimensions published someplace. Probably so, but I don't know where. I would think that if you have 20 feet to shoot in, the reduction would be 20/33 or 60.6% and a good print shop may be able to set up a photo reduction to get you there.
Hello, PM sent. Thank you.

My first calculation was 60% as well but should actually be not quite that small as I will be using 8.5x11's rather than 10.5x12's.
Furthermore, the computer naturally adds margins when doing printouts, reducing the content slightly. So it would be good to do a double-check.
And once I figure the scaling out, it will definitely be easier to print these on my own system rather than utilizing a professional shop.

Edit: And now that my cover is blown, yes I am an engineer.

Last edited by Kestrel4k; 12-05-2014 at 04:43 PM.