Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 07-28-2014, 02:26 AM
SRV1

TPC Rating: 
100% (19)
Beretta Neos magazines for Colt Challenger **Updated: It works**

Well I went out and bought a Beretta Neos magazine. Being that I have a Challenger, the mag release is on the bottom of the gun. All I had to do is grind down part of the base pad and sand down part of the follower, make sure you have a little play between the latch and the magazine. You do not want it tight. The knob on the magazine did not have to be shortened. It had plenty of room in the magwell/grip. Next step is to see how it works when firing it. This is similar to this thread: https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums....php?p=4704329

Colt on the left, Beretta Neos on the right:

Neos after sanding:

Colt magazine clearance for latch

Neos magazine clearance for latch

Colt mag

Neos mag

Neos basepad modification

Last edited by SRV1; 08-02-2014 at 10:11 PM.
Old 07-28-2014, 10:56 PM
Pawa
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
SRV1 If you have trouble with feeding last round close the gap at rear of mag with JB weld on the back of follower it worked for me, see some rounds laying around in pics good! file ck sand ck
Old 07-29-2014, 01:01 AM
SRV1

TPC Rating: 
100% (19)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pawa View Post
SRV1 If you have trouble with feeding last round close the gap at rear of mag with JB weld on the back of follower it worked for me, see some rounds laying around in pics good! file ck sand ck
Well I forgot this is a blowback design so I really could not manually cycle the rounds. What was happening on the last round?

James
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2014, 08:47 PM
Pawa

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The rim of the last round would seem to hang up between the rear of the follower and mag but when closed up a little worked fine. If you want I can post some pics of the two mods if you run into that problem.
Old 07-30-2014, 02:27 PM
SRV1

TPC Rating: 
100% (19)
Sure, post up some pictures.
Old 07-30-2014, 07:53 PM
Pawa

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I'll do some pics, If your chamber and and bolt are clean You should be able to work the bolt by hand [ clean ] Chamber and test as you go. I think you have done your research so steady now
Old 07-30-2014, 08:35 PM
SRV1

TPC Rating: 
100% (19)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pawa View Post
I'll do some pics, If your chamber and and bolt are clean You should be able to work the bolt by hand [ clean ] Chamber and test as you go. I think you have done your research so steady now
Actually, blowback as you know is what assists in extracting the spent round. I can manually cycle the rounds but not all will extract. Of course every firearm is different so yours may manually cycle fine.

James
Old 07-30-2014, 08:53 PM
Pawa

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Neos mods to follower
Old 07-30-2014, 09:04 PM
Pawa

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Still working on posting pics / Left conversion for colt woodsman center stock neos right one for my Medalist, they work great. James the most important rounds are # 1 and # 10 . I can test fire in bucket of floor dry in shop if you live in town that's a no no
Old 07-31-2014, 11:17 PM
Pawa

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRV1 View Post
Actually, blowback as you know is what assists in extracting the spent round. I can manually cycle the rounds but not all will extract. Of course every firearm is different so yours may manually cycle fine.

James
James your doing great, With loaded mag get first round to cycle when that's done work on the last round by mods to back of follower
Old 08-01-2014, 09:43 PM
SRV1

TPC Rating: 
100% (19)
Still waiting to shoot it. Maybe tomorrow or Sunday I hope. I have a couple of other 22's that I have to test fire because I had problems with them.
Old 08-01-2014, 10:59 PM
SRV1

TPC Rating: 
100% (19)
Here are some more pictures. I forgot to mention that I have another magazine which is a 2nd series Woodsman magazine (C). The other is a genuine Colt replacement which is a late 3rd series (F): http://www.colt22.com/wmmagazine.html

From left to right, 2nd series Woodsman, late 3rd series and Beretta Neos

Notice the notch on the 2nd series Woodsman for the magazine release

Top to bottom, Neos, 2nd series, 3rd series

Here are the base pads of the Colt magazines, left is 2nd series and right is late 3rd series

I mentioned above that you need to have some play at the bottom of the basepad for the Neos magazine. The reason why is that the basepad acts as a stop for the magazine to limit up travel. The 3rd series magazine is a piece of formed metal which can get bent. Depending how it gets bent will cause the slide not to close. Same thing with the Neos magazine. The little notch on the bottom of the magwell is what the basepads sits into. If you look at the pictures, you can see how critical the dimension is:

2nd series

3rd series

Neos

Notice the Neos magazine basepad. It does not sit flush in the notch. This is the reason why you need some "slop" between the basepad and the magazine latch. If you did not have any clearance, the magazine will sit up in the magwell and then hit the bottom of the slide because the latch will be pushing it up. The 2nd series is a piece of machine steel so bending that is a lot harder to do. You will have to spread out the feed lips on the Neos magazine and do some fine tuning. Basepads of the 3rd series Colt magazine will fit in the Neos magazine but it is tight.

James
Old 08-02-2014, 03:39 PM
Pawa

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks James for sharing your results and taking the time take and post pics, keep us posted on test firing with the conversion
Old 08-02-2014, 10:09 PM
SRV1

TPC Rating: 
100% (19)
Had a chance to shoot my guns today. Let me tell you the 22 Remington Jet is loud as hell and it makes a fireball that would make a Mosin Nagant jealous! That being said, the Neos magazine worked flawlessly! I ran Remington lead round nosed (CMP training ammo) and some CCI mini mag. No issues at all. Seems like I now have access to affordable magazines.

James
Old 04-16-2019, 11:06 PM
SRV1

TPC Rating: 
100% (19)
Just thought I would post up. The magazines are still working flawlessly.