Originally Posted by DrGunner View Post
Onanist
frotteur
Old 02-05-2014, 10:35 PM
azjeff
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (34)
Be interesting to see if there's any difference in accuracy as you switch the stock parts around between the 2 rifles to test all the stock combinations before you start the mods.

Spreadsheets make me dizzy.
Old 02-05-2014, 10:39 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (74)
Send a message via AIM to Chaser
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlysAlot View Post
Plus I have a surprise barrel mod I am going to do before I have the
chamber done but that's a secret!
Mini-Prop on the muzzle?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2014, 11:02 PM
DrGunner

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
I feel for you, Tim- and this is DAY ONE.

Lay it out the way you planned, test what you want to test, and post results.
There will be a hundred suggestions before all is said and done, and in the end there will always be detractors.

The purpose here is to test inexpensive mods on a stock rifle using bulk fare for day today shooting. Each modification will be tested between its stock configuration then any improvements or lack thereof on accuracy. The other components of the rifle will be put back to stock as each individual modification is tested.

Did I get that right?

If so, I will be

Old 02-06-2014, 01:15 AM
esabatm
US Coast Guard Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks for the answer on the reserves. You might not have enough with every thing you have planed. looking forward to your project
Old 02-10-2014, 01:30 AM
Flykiller
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Jeff,
Dr. Gunner and I went round and round on that topic. While I agree bulk ammo is a variable, I am going to use the same lot and well, CCI Blazer isn't that bad, neither is Mini Mag. Additionally I have had great luck with Auto Match in my 10/22's and well, I had to start somewhere!

The plan is to season each barrel with 50 rounds of Blazer before shooting for groups. (Although I am going to post that target)
Hey FlysAlot,

I am really looking forward to the testing you are doing here. It will be interesting to see the results of all your hard work. I am interested in doing the most accurate 10-22 possible . Not because of budget but because of the rules in the new ABRA sanction. It's bench rest for automatics . In the first class you can do mods but with all factory Ruger parts. I'm a bolt gun man. I don't know beans about the 10/22. This is all new to me so what you are doing will help. I would make a couple of suggestions though if I could. One would be to try and do all your testing inside if you could. You may have addressed that and I just missed it . The other thing is something you have addressed and that is the ammo. To keep from having your data spoiled by unreliable ammo I would try and find a lot number of either Eley MEPS or maybe Lapua CenterX that was known to be good in several rifles (bolt actions). Maybe even some real good SK standard plus of a certain lot that someone had shot well with in more than one rifle. That's just me. Keep up the good work. - Clint
Old 02-10-2014, 05:52 AM
Tom in Mesa
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Funny, I thought I said that about 4 times already. For those concerned, the parts of each rifle, stay with that rifle. That's why I am using two different rifles, trust me, it will become very clear if there is one "best" mod to improve a 10/22 or if it is better to "stack" the mods as most do.

Remember this is as much a function as an accuracy improvement test. For example, I am not sure an improved bolt will help much with accuracy. (at least few people claim it does) If with the factory bolt I have issues with rifle function and if a modified bolt addresses those issues well we should be able to determine that a stock rifle with no other changes except a modified bolt is more (or less) reliable or accurate because the bolt stood alone as the sole modified part.

While I have a technical background, I do not have an engineering or research degree. I am an Airline Transport rated pilot with an Airframe & Powerplant license issued by the FAA. I promise you only that I will be honest and objective in my research and conclusions. In fact basic assumptions I came to this project with have already been dispelled. While I can't control every variable I will get close.

Stick around, this isn't going to be a short flight but we will get some answers and have some fun! (And spend a bunch of my $$ trust me, the wife already said, "another 10/22?" Since she and the kid already have 3 custom 10/22's between them they know 2 more aren't for them!!!)
Here's a joke that has been going around flight schools for years.

Question: How can you tell if there's a pilot in the room
Answere: He'll tell you.
Old 02-10-2014, 11:17 AM
azjeff
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (34)
Are you going to add your data only to your reserved posts at the beginning or put info in the running posts as well? I keep coming back to this thread and scrolling down to see if anything new has been added... hurry up man!

And thanks for your hard work!
Old 02-10-2014, 06:11 PM
mischief45860

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
This is gonna be interesting! I really want to see how this turns out.
Old 02-10-2014, 07:45 PM
gascolator

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaser View Post
frotteur
Intellectuals.
Old 02-11-2014, 08:38 AM
Flykiller

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Hi Clint,
Dr. Gunner (and others) suggested also I use 'better' ammo. In this case, better ammo won't matter much because I am going to use 3 different types of ammo and since the rifle is going to end up with mostly factory parts I think the differences in ammo will tell me how the rifle shoots.

Anyway I was missing some silver rings for 827 which should arrive today. I have some sad personal business to take care of but will try to get the scopes mounted & the rifles bore sighted. Gonna try and get the first shots downrange this Thursday.
Hey FlysAlot,

I do agree that using ammo that is suppose to be BETTER will not guarantee the results you are looking for. I feel that in your tests of all the different combinations you will be trying you need to make sure that your ammo is constant. So you need ammo that is KNOWN to be better in different guns. Ammo that has been PROVEN so you won't have a Fly in the ointment. No pun intended . LOL. IMHO - Clint
Old 02-11-2014, 09:59 AM
tinman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Can anyone tell me why this thread, belongs in "FACTORY STOCK"?

I'm serious, not trying to start stuff. I'm trying to understand all the different sections of the forum. I must be missing something.

Mods feel free to answer, also.
Old 02-11-2014, 10:26 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (74)
Send a message via AIM to Chaser
May I answer tinman..?

Have you looked at the photo's? And he's addressing a common/frequent thread topic ..."I just bought a new 10/22 what mods should I do to it"

They are pretty much OEM Carbines on the outside..hence the placement...your question makes me think/question IF you are reading it correctly...It's OEM 10/22's...not OEM Stocks as in FURNITURE.

Each area has it's "earmarks" so-to-speak..pretty EZ to spot...and if they are a tad off with the posting in the wrong area they may not get looked at as much by the folks that should..and the OP does not get the feedback he should..so placement is important yes..but not so much that Folks should get their undies all bunched up over it..lifes too short for those kinda knit-picks..not saying you are doing that but it happens way too much.

Now...back to the graph charts...

Last edited by Chaser; 02-11-2014 at 10:33 AM.
Old 02-11-2014, 12:09 PM
tinman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks Chaser

By the way......even though I don't have the post count that you do.....I know what Factory Stock means.

I'm out.
Old 02-11-2014, 07:48 PM
DrGunner

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman View Post
Can anyone tell me why this thread, belongs in "FACTORY STOCK"?

I'm serious, not trying to start stuff. I'm trying to understand all the different sections of the forum. I must be missing something.

Mods feel free to answer, also.
Because FlysaLot is doing nothing but modding a Factory Stock rifle-
NO AFTERMARKET parts, just tweaks to existing OEM parts.

Hope this helps like Alka Seltzer

DrGunner