Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-12-2014, 11:01 AM
22Peeper
US Marines

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Walther KKM International Match

Dont think I ever posted this rifle here before..... enjoy.

[img width=225 height=400]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee269/mrcoinring/2012-07-28_19-34-18_351.jpg[/img]

Old 01-16-2014, 08:42 PM
vicfox

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
That's one beautiful rifle there. It looks in exceptional condition. Is it something you shoot competitively ?

I have one of these and appreciate it far more now than when I first got it. They are a inherently accurate rifle with an exceptional trigger.

I am no expert on them or shooting them but reading as much as I've been able too they were right up there in there day and still very highly regarded by those who have and have had one. Originally I was happy to buy mine given the low out lay compared to the new options and knowing that it shot so well before handing over the money had me keener than paying for an the unknown quality of something else even new.
Not knowing much about Walther in general or the KKM model it's a taken time and knowledge to build on the appreciation of just how lucky I am to own such a accurate rifle for the money.

Mine is set up for bench with a newly fitted Weaver T36, I had it re-crowned late last year and have been experimenting with a Tuner all to good effect.

I'm still to do some experimenting with various ammo but have been doing well with SK plus since the Tuner whereas the Federal Match without the tuner had been the best option shooting the best and most consistent of what I'd tried.

The KKM International Match is a heavy unit and would certainly been a handful for prone shooting but for my bench shooting it has been ideal and over time with improvements is a tacK driver.

I'm not the talent to get the best out of it but recently shooting PB'b at different ranges and distances yet thinking there's improvement to be gained out of both of us still.

Last edited by vicfox; 01-17-2014 at 12:28 AM.
Old 01-16-2014, 10:16 PM
timberbeast
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (39)
Gorgeous KKM and complete with nice peep and globe sights. Ever shoot it with the iron sights?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2014, 10:22 PM
chuckbiscuits

TPC Rating: 
100% (17)
Peeper,
I have a feeling that we have much the same taste when it comes to what lives in our safes. Thanks for posting the pics of this beautiful German rifle.

Best,

cb
Old 01-17-2014, 09:15 AM
22Peeper
US Marines

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks guys... I have only shot this rifle once and it was something to behold. I dont compete as my work keeps me away from home 90% of the year. I mainly just collect and shoot when I can.

Vicfox.... have any pics of your rifle?
Old 01-17-2014, 12:24 PM
Oldblades
US Marines Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (18)
What a nice rifle 22peeper! They really are special.
Old 01-17-2014, 05:54 PM
vicfox

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Vicfox.... have any pics of your rifle?

Here's one I have but will take some more and post as well.

Since this photo I've updated the scope to a Weaver T36 and added a Barrel tuner in the pursuit of more accuracy and getting benefit from both.
Stay tuned for a couple more pics but yours appears to be a bit tidier than mine.
Old 01-21-2014, 05:23 AM
vicfox

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
OK here's the pics of my KKM. I've had it for about 2 and a half years and although our local clubs are small the rifle can match it with the best on it's day.
I've recently been finding how to get the best out of it with the trigger set, re-crowning, Tuner and new scope. The trigger is exceptional and finding the Weaver T36 a good choice and will ensure more consistent improved accurate shooting.

The number 61 stamped on the left side of the barrel in the third of the pics reflect the build date of 1961.

The barrel Tuner in a Australian Lowey Tuner

Old 01-21-2014, 05:32 AM
Oldblades
US Marines Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (18)
Excellent Vicfox! Is there a dual purpose for the long screw at the front of the trigger guard?
Old 01-21-2014, 07:49 AM
kaynine

TPC Rating: 
100% (15)
The "long screw" at the front of the trigger guard is there to adjust the bedding pressure on the receiver together with the screw at the back of the guard. Here's a cross section from the manual that shows the arrangement:

and since I'm posting this, here is my example of the fine Walther KKM International Match rifle, together with associated accessories:

and here's their pre-WWII ancestor:

Unfortunately, it was a war bring back that didn't include the sight set, so a previous owner mounted a Lyman 48 match sight.
Old 01-21-2014, 08:15 AM
Oldblades
US Marines Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (18)
Thanks kaynine.
Man, that early Walther of yours is probably one of the sleekest, most beautiful match rifles I've ever seen.
Old 01-21-2014, 10:19 AM
rdssert
RFC Sponsor

RFC Sponsor
TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I will second those comments. Fantastic lines on that pre-war.
Old 01-21-2014, 10:34 AM
kaynine

TPC Rating: 
100% (15)
Bought it a very long time ago, sight unseen off of the Gun List, before the internet (BI). Seller said it weighed over 12 lb.s and had a Zella Mehlis address so I knew it was something special. I guess back then only "real Men" shot international match:-) No composite and light alloy construction to soften the experience. Just top quality german craftsmanship and shear mass.
Old 01-21-2014, 10:46 AM
Oldblades
US Marines Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (18)
Pretty cool. I would imagine that a thumbhole stock those days was next to unheard of.
Old 01-21-2014, 03:58 PM
vicfox

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Beautiful works of craftsmanship and the fact that they shoot well is a bonus. I consider myself fortunate to own one and am very envious of the others that have posted their exceptional examples of their KKM's

Last edited by vicfox; 01-21-2014 at 04:00 PM.