My relined and updated 20A - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-04-2014, 12:39 AM
xtriggerman
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My relined and updated 20A

A couple of years ago an ol friend brought me a Marlin #20A pump 22 that was pretty rough. I had never seen one of these little octagon barreled rifles before and I took quite a shine to the ol girl. Well, he wanted it in ship shape and $$ was not an issue so I reline the rotted out bore & put a new m39 mag tube on it. Ended up being a great shooter. So I hunted up a few of those 20A's as parts guns and finaly put one together for my self. They are slick little pumps with a 1 3/8ths" pump thro. The actions are not as strong as the 39's and are prone to having the right side receiver half "bend out" away from the left side half. But they are easily bent back. The larger cal. model 27's had a forward lock screw that eliminated this "light duty" draw back to these take down pumps. The other big issue they had were the early mag tubes were prone to jamming the action with poor feeding. The fix is to have the receiver port for the mag tube opened up a tad with a 13/32 end mill. This will allow for the insertion of a new M39 mag tube & bingo... feed issues are gone. The latter & last #47 pump 22 had the modern style mag tube and the receiver was much thicker to address the bendability issue. All the internals were identical to the earlier 20A's. I like to install the loading port on the mag tube turned in to the side of the barrel as pictured. This makes for a fast way to drop the rounds on the crack of the tube and barrel (above the port) tip the muzzle up & let them just slide down and fall into the port on there own. Just slick... The tube holds 19 rounds +1 under a 24 1/4" barrel.
After boring the old bore out, I personally like to start the liner in the end of the muzzle dry for the first 2 inches then gob the liner with epoxy and keep working in into the barrel with plenty of epoxy. once the clean liner pops out at the shank end, I put a oxy acetylene torch on the liner and shank and get a good flow of silver solder on the liner and at the same time pull the liner back out to the front, drawing the soldered end down in to the barrel shank. This way the chamber will be metal to barrel metal solid with no glue brake in the extractor cut. The fast n easy way is to just glue the entire liner in, but that's just not my way. I may try the low heat 450F solder some day for easier clean up yet. The chamber that I like to cut in is the target "bentz" chamber. The standard Clymer 22LR chamber is just too large! The Bentz chambers have very little casing expansion which keeps the rims in proper shape. Some standard size chambers bloat the rims making for extraction issues in less than perfect extractor geometry.
Anyway, this all adds up to a honey of a shooter when resurrecting a nice old gun like this Marlin. The Winchester super X hi vels used are some 18 years old and still my best hi vel groupers! I squirreled away thousands of them & you can see the Feds Hi Vel HP's just cant come close. A scope in lew of my tired one eye, would have made the Redman liner sizzle at this 25 yard range but im happy with what it can do under my handicap. :lol:
Nothing but 2 miles of woods in front of that barrel!
[/QUOTE] [img width=640 height=480]http://i635.photobucket.com/albums/uu77/xtriggerman/PUMP%20guns/P1010650_zps83b39b3c.jpg[/img]
[img width=640 height=376]http://i635.photobucket.com/albums/uu77/xtriggerman/PUMP%20guns/P1010651_zps67f5981b.jpg[/img]
[img width=640 height=281]http://i635.photobucket.com/albums/uu77/xtriggerman/PUMP%20guns/P1010652_zps6c29c84c.jpg[/img]
Once the 3/4" orange dot was all but gone, flyer's crept in!
[img width=534 height=480]http://i635.photobucket.com/albums/uu77/xtriggerman/PUMP%20guns/P1010653_zps95579c42.jpg[/img]
It was there when I got it off GB.
[img width=640 height=282]http://i635.photobucket.com/albums/uu77/xtriggerman/PUMP%20guns/P1010654_zps949e1451.jpg[/img]
I morfed a Savage 1914 pump handle on to the ol girl.
[img width=640 height=154]http://i635.photobucket.com/albums/uu77/xtriggerman/PUMP%20guns/P1010657_zps2d531f81.jpg[/img]
[img width=640 height=188]http://i635.photobucket.com/albums/uu77/xtriggerman/PUMP%20guns/P1010656_zps95369b7e.jpg[/img]
This should be a factory position... really
[img width=640 height=193]http://i635.photobucket.com/albums/uu77/xtriggerman/PUMP%20guns/P1010655_zps76691cdb.jpg[/img] [QUOTE]

Last edited by xtriggerman; 01-04-2014 at 12:58 PM.
Old 01-04-2014, 03:58 PM
Sav22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by xtriggerman View Post

Once the 3/4" orange dot was all but gone, flyer's crept in!

It was there when I got it off GB.

I morfed a Savage 1914 pump handle on to the ol girl.

This should be a factory position... really
Old 01-05-2014, 12:12 AM
xtriggerman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks Sav, no idea why they are not coming up for me on this forum.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2014, 09:06 AM
Sav22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by xtriggerman View Post
Thanks Sav, no idea why they are not coming up for me on this forum.
I wanted to see them & tried some changes to get that to happen. I found this site does not have scaling; I removed the size from the [img width=640 height=480] to make it just [img] and found they then worked. This site does not seem to scale pictures to fit the screen like many others now do.

I see you are shooting modern pressure loads in it, these were made well before the introduction of Hi-Speed loadings so I have always tried to use standard velocity in mine. The 20A is one of the models with the larger locking surface in the receiver so I have always wondered how they would hold up if shot with steady diet of Hi-Speed, I will be interested in hearing a long term report on how it holds up.

I kind of like the look that the Savage fore arm gives it (but that might be because of my like for Savage pumps in general).

Last edited by Sav22; 01-05-2014 at 09:23 AM.
Old 01-05-2014, 11:13 AM
vepr762
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
91% (10)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sav22 View Post

I see you are shooting modern pressure loads in it, these were made well before the introduction of Hi-Speed loadings so I have always tried to use standard velocity in mine. The 20A is one of the models with the larger locking surface in the receiver so I have always wondered how they would hold up if shot with steady diet of Hi-Speed, I will be interested in hearing a long term report on how it holds up.

It only takes one too many, to start a micro crack, then a full bolt crack and/or catastrophic failure. I've seen several cracked bolts.....painful lesson.
Old 01-05-2014, 05:35 PM
A square 10
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
what a lovely old rifle , im really partial to the old pumps like this , they have the classic look and lines of form/function of that era , you cant go wrong getting one of these ,

yours has a character all its own with the carving , i find that endearing as well , congrats
Old 01-05-2014, 09:53 PM
xtriggerman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have 5 of these 20A type recievers, Out of the 6 Iv examinded, The worst thing I saw was that the locking shoulder had some slight peaning. The locking bolts appear to be properly hardened with no peaning at the recoil face. Granted, they certainly are not nearly as strong as the 1890 Winchesters. And by rights should by all means get a Standard Vel diet But those I have not, but have many, many thousands of Hi vels. Another consideration is a poor rusty bore may give more resistance rather than a nice mirror smooth one. So Im betting this old gun will be just fine with a few hundred hi vels. I will make a point of getting a couple bricks of Standard Vels down the road. Anyone have an extra locking bolt (1 3/16th long) laying around?
Old 01-05-2014, 09:59 PM
xtriggerman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sav22 View Post
I wanted to see them & tried some changes to get that to happen. I found this site does not have scaling; I removed the size from the [img width=640 height=480] to make it just [img] and found they then worked. This site does not seem to scale pictures to fit the screen like many others now do.

I kind of like the look that the Savage fore arm gives it (but that might be because of my like for Savage pumps in general).
Thanks for figuring out the link problem. Next time I will know what should be done with the URL language. Many Thanks!
Old 08-29-2017, 09:13 PM
Cudabuda69

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Do you have any breach bolts left from you're parts guns?
Old 08-30-2017, 11:30 AM
pact

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Sorry, if i am changing subject, but I read this forum daily and recently I can't see most of the pictures. I just see a block from Photobucket that looks like a speedometer. How can I fix this?

Sorry for being stupid.

Pact
Old 08-30-2017, 12:24 PM
Sparks1954
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
I clicked on the links in the first post and was able to scroll thru the photos. Photobucket is now charging to host photos.
Old 08-30-2017, 12:52 PM
pact

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Sparks

I do that and it goes to Photobucket, but with the same box that looks like a speedometer. It then shows a link where I can get unlimited down loads for the low price of $399 a year.