Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 12-31-2013, 06:35 PM
bigt7mm

TPC Rating: 
100% (14)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRidgeParson View Post
It's really not possible to know for sure 75 years after the fact, but chances are your Rangemaster was owned by a shooter with very definite opinions on the sights he wanted to use. Thus, the mix and match nature of the sights. Once you decide what you really want, you can then put on the sights you prefer, something the previous owner certainly did.

The Vaver front base only fits Vaver sights, as the dovetail design was proprietary to them. Similarly, the Marble-Goss base was intended only for a Marble-Goss receiver sight, as pictured earlier in this thread.

BRP
Thanks BRP. This has been quite a learning experience and your help and information is appreciated. I'll be looking around to see what's available and may even look for a scope for it.

Now, where'd I leave that drill & tap? Ah yes, right there next to the old 52 Sporter...
Old 01-01-2014, 08:57 AM
Squirrel Chaser

TPC Rating: 
100% (22)
Nice write up, and thanks for taking the time. I thought I would add that I don't believe that Marble Goss sight in the picture is the "correct" one for the 37, although it will work. The Goss sight made specifically for the 37 has a cut out for the safety like the Vaver does. If I have time tonight I will try to learn how to post picture again.
Squirrel Chaser
Old 01-01-2014, 09:59 AM
glp
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
The model 37AM was offered from the factory

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigt7mm View Post
Vaver? Really?

So, it appears I have a Marbles-Goss rear sight base and a Vaver front base?

I know it's probably next to impossible to tell, but would this have been a factory option? Or, is it most likely to have been changed at some point?

Also, what sights do I need for these bases or will they fit most different sights.

Please, forgive my ignorance. I'm learning as fast as I can. I appreciate the help and your patience!
With a Marbles Goss rear sight and a Redfield front sight. The model 37AV was offered with a Wittek Vaver rear and Redfield front. Don't forget that serious position shooters bought these rifles. They were very expensive at the time. Many of those shooters "Jury rigged" their rifles with the sights combination they preferred. Sometimes that was just as it came, sometimes they changed things. The Model 37AX came without sights. So those rifles could be wearing any combo the owner liked. These model numbers were of the improved rifle of 1940. Greg

Last edited by glp; 01-01-2014 at 10:05 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2014, 10:58 AM
Old Man 58
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigt7mm View Post
Vaver? Really?

So, it appears I have a Marbles-Goss rear sight base and a Vaver front base?

I know it's probably next to impossible to tell, but would this have been a factory option? Or, is it most likely to have been changed at some point?

Also, what sights do I need for these bases or will they fit most different sights.

Please, forgive my ignorance. I'm learning as fast as I can. I appreciate the help and your patience!
I would think your least expensive and easiest to find sight choice would be a set of Redfield Olympic sights, total investment about $250.00 and you could sell the bases you currently have to help offset some of the cost.
Old 01-01-2014, 11:38 AM
edlmann
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sqweeler View Post
Interesting. That's not an Olympic front sight. It looks like a 60-series Redfield sight on an adapter to convert to clamp style, and mounted backwards to use the original Remington sight base.
Old 01-01-2014, 11:48 AM
Old Man 58

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by edlmann View Post
Interesting. That's not an Olympic front sight. It looks like a 60-series Redfield sight on an adapter to convert to clamp style, and mounted backwards to use the original Remington sight base.
Unless I miss my guess that's an original Remington Rangemaster front sight correct for a Model 37. The globe it's self is a Redfield series sight, probably a Redfield 65.
Old 01-01-2014, 12:13 PM
ultramag44

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
BRP,

Does the Wittek-Vaver sight require a special base for the 37 (or 52 for that matter)?

Russian side-mount peep sights use the same arrangement for a more secure hold. The thumb screw that applies tension is on the top, the "hook" that engages the other side of a male dovetail is on the bottom.

Quote:
OM58 is correct.

Sqweeler's sight is the original (and correct) sight for the Remington 37. While the thumb screw that applies tension is on the right, the "hook" that engages the radius cut is indeed on the left side to properly engage the original Remington front sight base. Now that he has turned it around (see post #17) it is just as it was intended to be.

BRP
Old 01-01-2014, 12:21 PM
BlueRidgeParson

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultramag44 View Post
BRP,

Does the Wittek-Vaver sight require a special base for the 37 (or 52 for that matter)?
No, the Wittek-Vaver sights were made specifically for their intended application, so they simply attach with two mounting screws in the holes drilled and tapped by Remington, unlike, for instance, the Redfield Olympic sights which included a fairly universal sight with many different mounting blocks used to adapt them to different rifles. For this reason, the Wittek-Vaver sights from a Winchester 52 would not be able to be used on a Remington 37, and vice versa.

BRP
Old 01-01-2014, 01:16 PM
glp

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Blue Ridge

Quote:
No, the Wittek-Vaver sights were made specifically for their intended application, so they simply attach with two mounting screws in the holes drilled and tapped by Remington, unlike, for instance, the Redfield Olympic sights which included a fairly universal sight with many different mounting blocks used to adapt them to different rifles. For this reason, the Wittek-Vaver sights from a Winchester 52 would not be able to be used on a Remington 37, and vice versa.

BRP
I believe the Vaver sight does come with different bases. The sight screws to the base, so the sight itself could attach to different bases.

Here is a pic of the back side of my Vaver and it's Rem 37 base. Screws attach sight to base.

Here is a pic of the front side.

Last edited by glp; 01-01-2014 at 01:20 PM.
Old 01-01-2014, 01:44 PM
BlueRidgeParson

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
GLP is correct that the Vaver sight is held together by two screws, holding the sight together from the inside. Does that constitute a "base"?
I would respectfully contend that it does not.

By looking though old Vaver sight catalogs, it is clear that Vaver only sold the sights as complete and assembled units, and what GLP refers to as "bases" were not sold, except as part of a complete sight. Of course if one were a good machinist, it would be possible to have what GLP calls a "base" machined, blued, drilled and tapped, and finally attached to a part of a Vaver sight intended for some other purpose. But again, I wouldn't really call that piece a base. What GLP refers to as a "base" was in fact a subassembly in the process of manufacturing the complete sight.

Contrast this to the Marble-Goss sight, which truly did have a separate base that always remained attached to the rifle, and the sight could then be removed by means of a thumb screw. But the base remained attached to the rifle. Similarly, the Redfield Olympic sight utilizes a separate base, that remains attached to the rifle when the sight is removed, just like the Marble-Goss.

But to get to the part that GLP calls the "base" of the Vaver sight, the entire sight has to be removed from the rifle, and then disassembled. I can say from personal experience, that having done this to salvage one good Vaver sight from two different sights of the same model (for a Winchester 52) that quite a bit of work with a file was required to make the pieces of one sight fit the "base" of the other--- not to mention the need in many cases to then drill and tap the inside of the sight to mate the pieces together. Could it be done by a machinist? Of course. But is that piece really a base? I think not.

The difference may be entirely semantic, but what GLP calls a "base" really isn't a separate base as such things are commonly understood. A base remains attached to the rifle so the sight can be removed, or even utilized on more than one rifle. The Vaver sights were not designed to work like that.

BRP

Last edited by BlueRidgeParson; 01-01-2014 at 04:52 PM.
Old 01-01-2014, 07:45 PM
glp

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Well

If blue ridge is correct, that Vaver didn't sell the base separate from the sight itself, then he's correct and I've learned something. I have no vaver literature so will defer to him. The same logic then must apply to a sight like the Lyman 48? Both the vaver and Lyman when you want to use a scope, you simply press a button or catch and remove the sight slide. The "base" part stays on the rifle and in the Lyman case was sold with and as part of the sight. I guess same is true with the Vavers. Tks. Greg

Last edited by glp; 01-01-2014 at 07:50 PM.
Old 01-02-2014, 08:47 PM
M52E1

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have a Vaver sales brochure from before the war and the did not sell their sights as two pieces. Like a Lyman you purchased the sight a single unit and it is my understanding that that Lyman sights were hand fitted which I would imagine would be case for Vaver sights.

Lyman and Vaver both allowed the shooter to dissasemble the rear sight for transport to and from the range. I do not keep sights attached to my competition rifles as the rifle could be dropped or bumped which might damage the sight.

Bill
Old 09-03-2015, 07:39 PM
patchett

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
A Model 37 new to me has the Vaver front sight. Were these considered not as good or just not frequently encountered? Were there inserts that threaded into the centre of the cruciform skeleton ?
Old 09-03-2015, 08:12 PM
BrianJ
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
inserts

Yes,

Vaver had inserts for both front and rear sights. This front is the detachable style.
Inserts find their way on ebay quite often.
Old 02-02-2016, 09:12 PM
edlmann

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
The front sight base for the Remington 37 was one peculiar to this rifle alone. Here it is:

What is the center-to-center spacing on the screws? Could it be 1.18"?