Remington 37 Sights - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 12-30-2013, 10:58 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
Remington 37 Sights

The question comes up here often enough that I thought it might be of help to have a photographic record of the various sights that came (some factory and some after-market) for the Remington Model 37 Rangemaster rifles. The last of these rifles came off the line in 1954 or 1955, after which time it was replaced by the Remington 40x.

The front sight base for the Remington 37 was one peculiar to this rifle alone. Here it is:

The front sight normally supplied was made by Redfield:

This sight was made specially to fit on the base seen above, which has the radius cut on the left side, rather than the more normal location on the right. While the attaching thumb screw is on the right side, it actuates a "hook" on the left side of the sight which engages the radius cut on the special base.

Most early Remington 37 rifles came with a special receiver diopter sight designed by Remington. It fit on one of two dovetail adapters (either long or short.)

Here is the long base:

Here are both the long and short bases. Both came with the Remington 37 originally, giving the shooter a choice as to which suited the shooter better.

Here is the Remington designed receiver sight fitted on the long base. The Remington receiver sight came with a Parker-Hale six hole eyepiece that allowed by the simple turn of a dial various rear aperture sizes. The notches on the top of the long base gave the shooter up to six different locations where one can lock down the rear sight which allowed for a simple yet sturdy way to adjust eye relief. With the short base the shooter had but one choice of sight position.

And here are closer looks at the sight:

Less commonly encountered was this Marble-Goss receiver sight, which was factory fitted on some Model 37 rifles, and retrofitted to others. It was attached to the rifle by means of a special adapter base made by Marbles for that purpose. Note the base is marked "Rem. 37":

Perhaps the rear sight least often encountered was the Wittek-Vaver sight, which arguably was the finest of the sights fitted to the Remington 37. These sights were built like a Swiss watch and are much sought after today:

It should be noted that I have seen catalogs which claim there was a version of the Lyman #52 sight adapted to the Remington 37, but in 40 years of collecting these rifles, I have never seen one. It may exist only on paper. Like unicorns, I will believe in it when I see one.

Beginning in 1951 (per the Stoeger Shooter's Bible) Remington 37 rifles were fitted with the ubiquitous Redfield Olympic sights, both front and rear, the rear sight attached by means of this Redfield base:

Here is the Olympic sight base installed on a Remington 37:

And to show how it all came together, here is a Redfield Olympic receiver sight mounted on a Remington 37:

The Redfield International Match or Redfield Palma sight (both of which came into being after the Remington 37 production run) also fit on the Olympic sight base. While, strictly speaking, the International Match and Palma sights were not factory options for the Remington 37, they can be used on the Olympic base.

When the Olympic front sight was utilized, a more conventional dovetail base was used instead of the front sight base pictured above.

I hope this basic information will be of use to those fortunate enough to own a Remington 37, and to any future Remington 37 owners.

All the best -----

BRP

Last edited by BlueRidgeParson; 06-19-2019 at 08:58 PM. Reason: Restore pics after Photobucket held them for ransom!
Old 12-30-2013, 11:04 PM
Old Man 58
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Nice write up and great pics BRP, thanks

Oh and nice MK8 too

Last edited by Old Man 58; 12-31-2013 at 07:05 AM.
Old 12-30-2013, 11:42 PM
bigt7mm

TPC Rating: 
100% (14)
Thanks BRP. Very helpful and informative tutorial. Much appreciated.

And so, my quest begins...

Oh, and I think I better hang on to this M-G, for now. But, if things change, you have dibs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2013, 11:48 PM
ColtSnakeTamer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My 1948 has the Remington sight on the rear and Redfield Olympic on the front...Sure works great.
Old 12-31-2013, 10:02 AM
Old Man 58

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColtSnakeTamer View Post
My 1948 has the Remington sight on the rear and Redfield Olympic on the front...Sure works great.
Since this is a Remington 37 sights thread I hope this fits in here.

Do you have any pictures of the front sight mounted on the barrel? I'd love to see how that is done. Does your Remington receiver sight have an adjustable aperture? Do the larger diameter Olympic front sights provide a better sight picture than the smaller diameter Rangemaster(Redfield 65) sight? Mine was made in 1948 also, CTT SN# 07709. Curiuos as to your SN# if you don't mind. Thanks
Old 12-31-2013, 10:12 AM
ColtSnakeTamer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Man 58 View Post
Since this is a Remington 37 sights thread I hope this fits in here.

Do you have any pictures of the front sight mounted on the barrel? I'd love to see how that is done. Does your Remington receiver sight have an adjustable aperture? Do the larger diameter Olympic front sights provide a better sight picture than the smaller diameter Rangemaster(Redfield 65) sight? Mine was made in 1948 also, CTT SN# 07709. Curiuos as to your SN# if you don't mind. Thanks
I don't have any pics. My front sight is just mounted with a common Redfield style base, though. My rear sight does have the adjustable aperture....I cannot comment on the difference in the two kinds of front sights, because I haven't used both.
Old 12-31-2013, 10:13 AM
BrianJ
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
Sight

BRP,

Nice write-up however I have to make note that the front sight and ramp base did not last the duration. If not mistaken in the late forties when the Redfield Olympic front was optioned by Remington the Remington front ramp and base was discontinued for a factory installed front dovetail block.

bjm

Last edited by BrianJ; 12-31-2013 at 10:15 AM.
Old 12-31-2013, 10:40 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
As is noted in the first sentence after the final picture.

BRP
Old 12-31-2013, 11:03 AM
BrianJ
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
Base

BRP,

Sorry, misread again.

bjm
Old 12-31-2013, 11:29 AM
bigt7mm

TPC Rating: 
100% (14)
So, is mine the conventional dovetail? And, is it original?
Old 12-31-2013, 11:47 AM
Old Man 58

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
I have a question for the 37 experts here. The picture below is of the Remington Rangemaster Receiver sight on my Model 37. As you can see it has the adjustable aperture and it also has a metal sunshade attached to the aperture. I've seen them with and without the sunshade. Was this a factory option or is the shade aftermarket and added later? Thank

(This Image is Too Large to Be Displayed Within the Post. Click Link to View) (708 kB)

Last edited by Old Man 58; 12-31-2013 at 03:30 PM.
Old 12-31-2013, 02:03 PM
glp
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Looks like a

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigt7mm View Post
So, is mine the conventional dovetail? And, is it original?
Vaver front sight base.
Old 12-31-2013, 02:11 PM
JWA

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Great write-up BRP! Thanks for the info!

Regards,
Old 12-31-2013, 05:20 PM
bigt7mm

TPC Rating: 
100% (14)
Quote:
Originally Posted by glp View Post
Vaver front sight base.
Vaver? Really?

So, it appears I have a Marbles-Goss rear sight base and a Vaver front base?

I know it's probably next to impossible to tell, but would this have been a factory option? Or, is it most likely to have been changed at some point?

Also, what sights do I need for these bases or will they fit most different sights.

Please, forgive my ignorance. I'm learning as fast as I can. I appreciate the help and your patience!
Old 12-31-2013, 06:23 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
It's really not possible to know for sure 75 years after the fact, but chances are your Rangemaster was owned by a shooter with very definite opinions on the sights he wanted to use. Thus, the mix and match nature of the sights. Once you decide what you really want, you can then put on the sights you prefer, something the previous owner certainly did.

The Vaver front base only fits Vaver sights, as the dovetail design was proprietary to them. Similarly, the Marble-Goss base was intended only for a Marble-Goss receiver sight, as pictured earlier in this thread.

BRP

Last edited by BlueRidgeParson; 12-31-2013 at 06:25 PM.