The Colt Woodsman pistol - a retrospective - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 02-21-2014, 07:34 AM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (50)

I wish your Dad would have called my Dad to let him in on his investment strategy 25 years ago! Did your Dad also wisper Smith & Wesson into your ear, or was that your idea? Nice gun room.
Old 02-21-2014, 08:23 PM
Renegade61

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Whisper

We seemed to target "out of production" 22 rifles and pistols. Woodsmans, Straightline, Walther Olympia, Camp Perry, S&W Single shots, etc.

It's been a fun ride........ mostly collecting Winchester pump 22's

Thanks for the comment.
Old 09-03-2014, 08:51 AM
dondone

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I was at my local pawn shop today where a customer was looking at a Series 2 Woodsman, but the gun had some anomalies that still have me scratching my head.

The gun is a 6" basic (??) model with fixed sights, with the serial number placing it in 1950 and clearly marked as a Woodsman, BUT: There is no automatic hold open, and the sideplate does not have a hole bored for it, although the frame does under the sideplate. I will add that the sideplate is extremely well fitted and does not look "unoriginal."

The second oddity is that the trigger is the "straightened" type found on Match Target models. This could have been replaced during the lifespan of the pistol easily enough, however.

So, I guess my question is: Did Colt at one time (post 1947) offer a very basic Woodsman without an automatic hold open or did someone remove the hold open, and replace the sideplate with one from a Challenger or Huntsman?

Any and all factual knowledge greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2014, 12:30 PM
doubs43
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dondone View Post
So, I guess my question is: Did Colt at one time (post 1947) offer a very basic Woodsman without an automatic hold open or did someone remove the hold open, and replace the sideplate with one from a Challenger or Huntsman?
The "Colt Woodsman Pocket Guide" (8th edition) shows a 6" barrel Challenger without a hold open and with fixed sights. Serial numbers run from 1-C to 77143-C. Production began in 1950 and ended in 1955.

The pistol you describe sounds very much like a Challenger.
Old 09-04-2014, 05:44 PM
dana.thomas

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My guess is that the slide does not have a notch for the slide stop and does have the small notch for the safety to hold the slide back? And my guess is that the serial number on the slide does not match the serial number on the frame? And the serial number on the sideplate will match the slide, not the frame OR be a third number.

I have never seen or heard of a Woodsman without slide stop after the 1st series. They did make a "Basic Woodsman" but they called it Challenger in second series and Huntsman in thrid series.

I think you have a gun with parts from two or more guns and Colt didn't make it that way.

This is not, "factual knowledge" - I'm just guessing. Dana
Old 09-04-2014, 08:05 PM
SRV1

TPC Rating: 
100% (19)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade61 View Post
I also have enjoyed collecting the many variations of these Colt .22 pistols. My father told me they would become very desireable............ so we started buying them years ago............ many of them still in the box! Thanks Dad!
No freakin' way!! I would love to see the rest of that gun room! That is AWESOME!!

James
Old 10-29-2014, 12:15 AM
coyotejake

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Dodone, I believe I remember reading that the very last group of these pistols were pieced together by Colt from old surplus parts. It might be worth getting in touch with Colt with the serial number to track the pistols history.

Last edited by coyotejake; 10-29-2014 at 12:17 AM.
Old 01-17-2015, 11:48 AM
prewoodsman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
U.S. Air Force Target

Quote:
I was at my local pawn shop today where a customer was looking at a Series 2 Woodsman, but the gun had some anomalies that still have me scratching my head.

The gun is a 6" basic (??) model with fixed sights, with the serial number placing it in 1950 and clearly marked as a Woodsman, BUT: There is no automatic hold open, and the sideplate does not have a hole bored for it, although the frame does under the sideplate. I will add that the sideplate is extremely well fitted and does not look "unoriginal."

The second oddity is that the trigger is the "straightened" type found on Match Target models. This could have been replaced during the lifespan of the pistol easily enough, however.

Called a "U.S. Air Force Target" and often referred to as a "Arctic Survival Kit" example. Contracted with the U.S. government, Colt supplied 950 such example. Identified by serial numbers ranging in the 64,000's to the 65000's. These elusive and rare examples are further identified by their lack of a Slide Stop, Fixed Sights, No provision for the Grip Adapter or Lanyard Loop, and further lacks a Magazine Safety. Manufactured in 1949.
These example have No military marking, yet by documentation from Colt, clearly places these into military hands.
Old 10-11-2015, 07:44 PM
MountieFan16
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Series 2 Woodsman

Here's a couple of photos of my Series 2 Woodsman, made in 1948. The grips are elephant ivory by Mike Poulin.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2014 01 26_0187_edited-1.jpg (464.0 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg 2014 01 26_0190_edited-1.jpg (304.7 KB, 33 views)
Old 10-11-2015, 07:50 PM
huntsman22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
show the other side....
Old 02-26-2016, 04:43 AM
Hedrin

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
First gun I ever bought with my own money was a Huntsman. My grandfather had one new in box and it had never been fired. When it came to divvying up his things, I took the S&W K22 revolver and another relative took the Huntsman. I think we both felt we got the better end of the deal. Recently he passed away and his daughter sent me the gun. She hadn't known grandpa so it had no sentimental value to her and she knew grandpa and I had been shooting buddies. I opened the package and found it had been stored in a very moist place and the gun is COVERED in rust. A project for when I can find the time.

This is the Huntsman I bought. I love this gun.

Last edited by Hedrin; 02-26-2016 at 04:45 AM.
Old 07-14-2016, 10:58 PM
WitchDoctor
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by prewoodsman View Post
Called a "U.S. Air Force Target" and often referred to as a "Arctic Survival Kit" example. Contracted with the U.S. government, Colt supplied 950 such example. Identified by serial numbers ranging in the 64,000's to the 65000's. These elusive and rare examples are further identified by their lack of a Slide Stop, Fixed Sights, No provision for the Grip Adapter or Lanyard Loop, and further lacks a Magazine Safety. Manufactured in 1949.
These example have No military marking, yet by documentation from Colt, clearly places these into military hands.
16 months later... I'm dying to know if dondone didn't rush back to the pawn shop to win himself an Arctic Survival Kit!

It appears that he stopped posting shortly after this revelation. I don't suppose anyone ever saw him pop up on another forum to share pics of his new US Air Force Target Woodsman? Perhaps one of the greatest Woodsman dramas to never unfold...
Old 07-16-2016, 02:09 PM
NVaVettes

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Colt Woodsman Artic Survival Story

So, here's a story that's only a little bit different than dondone's:

I walked into the LGS a while back and started looking around.

A guy was at the counter looking at a gun and he was loudly commenting on what a nice condition Woodsman this gun was, etc, etc, etc.

I was within earshot (who wasn't) and when he gave it back to the clerk, I swooped over to
see what all the fuss was about.

It looked to be a nice, 6 1/2", 2nd series Woodsman, one magazine, no box, no documentation, virtually unused.

Not being a Woodsman expert, that was the limit of my knowledge and there was no indications that anything else was going on.

But I had a funny feeling that something appeared missing from the
left-hand side of the slide, but I couldn't begin to say what.

Even with that, I didn't pick up at the time that the slide would not hold back.

Nevertheless, the price was reasonable for a good-condition, 65 year-old target pistol, so I
bought my first Woodsman (without setting it back down.)

I got it home and started doing some more reading on Woodsman pistols in general.

After a few weeks of spare-time wasted poking around the internet, I stumbled on this old 'Jack The Dog' auction:

http://www.gunauction.com/buy/12575778

I said to myself, hummm . . . that's a very interesting story . . . too bad mine isn't one of those!

The next time I got it out, I started looking at it a little harder, and, then a lot harder.

Well, what with one thing and another, it turns out it was!

One of my very few 'dumb-luck with guns' stories!

Don ( . . . no relation to 'dondone')

Last edited by NVaVettes; 07-16-2016 at 02:25 PM.
Old 07-16-2016, 03:36 PM
WitchDoctor
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVaVettes View Post
So, here's a story that's only a little bit different than dondone's:

I walked into the LGS a while back and started looking around...

SNIP
I love that story! I wish I had your fortune - I got the dumb covered, but never the luck part.

That pistol is gorgeous.
Old 07-16-2016, 05:00 PM
NVaVettes

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
WitchDoctor:

Thanks!

It is in nice shape and looks better in person than in these pics.

I didn't seem to be able to get all of the oil film off and got a few weird reflections
and too much glare from the overhead lights in the shop.

Here's a link to a thread discussing whether or not these pistols were issued and used aboard what planes, etc:

http://www.coltforum.com/forums/colt...-woodsman.html

Thanks!

Don