Model 47 Disassembly and Help - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 11-14-2013, 10:00 PM
Retired MSG
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Model 47 Disassembly and Help

Hello-
I'm new here (lucky stumble into a link looking for info on Browning Buck Marks), and I registered immediately once I got a look at the info available here.
I have a Marlin Model 47, a family heirloom. I have had it for a few years and it shot like a champ. I have two issues with it now though - I have no idea how to take it apart to clean it thoroughly, and my last trip to the range I worked the pump and it "locked" in the rear or open position. I'm hoping this is dirty rather than something having broken, but without knowing how to pull it apart (and of course reassemble it) I wasn't willing to mess with it. I have set it aside for a couple months. If I can do this myself I'll be really happy, rather than go to gunsmith, and of course even if it needs repairs I'd like to know how to take it apart field strip at least.
Any advice, or link to pertinent thread? I've looked a bit so far but haven't found a thread that spells it out for me.
Thanks in advance for any help
Retired MSG
Old 11-15-2013, 03:07 AM
Big Shrek
US Army Fire Fighter NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Cool

The 47 is the same as a Model 18/20/20-A/25/29/37, excepting the variations in tube & barrel length...
so you can field-strip as any of the others...

although if you are worried about screwing things up, just open via the takedown screw,
hose out with your favorite Spray Gun Cleaner, wipe off excess, let dry, oil, wipe off excess, let dry, and reassemble.

If it still sticks, while open, take a pic...
that way we can compare your innards with ours and hopefully help you solve it
Old 01-05-2014, 10:10 PM
xtriggerman
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I just recently found out how rare the 47's are. The book stated they were never offered for direct sale to the public. They were strictly a promotional gift to anyone who bought a certain amount of Marlin stock. I have one that was in a fire and need wood. Talk about hen's teeth!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2014, 10:53 PM
Sav22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by xtriggerman View Post
I just recently found out how rare the 47's are. The book stated they were never offered for direct sale to the public. They were strictly a promotional gift to anyone who bought a certain amount of Marlin stock. I have one that was in a fire and need wood. Talk about hen's teeth!!!
I don't think anyone really knows how rare any of the Marlin pumps are - I actually have seen more Model 47's than some of the other Models, or variations of models. I talked to an old Marlin collector about rarity of the pumps and all he had to say was that "all Marlin pump 22's are rare". Try and find a 29-N, a 32, a 20-S, a 25 or 25-S, I rate those in rarity with the 47's, or some even rarer. I'm still looking for a reasonably priced nice 29-N. (can trade a 47 with decent case colors but a cracked stock as part of a deal).
Old 01-11-2014, 11:51 PM
Big Shrek
US Army Fire Fighter NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by xtriggerman View Post
Bob's Gun Parts.
http://www.gun-parts.com/marlin/

He also has stuff not on the website...sometimes a phone call gets you pretty well set up...
Much to be said for "Howdy, I was wondering if you could help me find parts for this old Marlin I've got..."

As well as remembering this...
Quote:
The 47 is the same as a Model 18/20/20-A/25/29/37, excepting the variations in tube & barrel length...
so you can field-strip as any of the others...

Last edited by Big Shrek; 01-11-2014 at 11:54 PM.
Old 03-22-2016, 12:51 AM
smithfan4152

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Marlin 47

A friend at work just told me he has the marlin 47 pump. So I went looking for info on value. Wow, this is something else. Buy $100.00 of marlin stock in 1930's and the rifle was free. Although they said the serial #s started in the 1400's that not many were given away. Well his serial #is 5039. I can't wait to see it in person.
I doubt I will ever find one of these, they sure were pretty.
Old 03-22-2016, 09:55 AM
pump .22s
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I tend to agree with Sav22......some of the others seem to be equally if not more rare than the 47. I have run into a surprising number of the 47s at guns shows....especially at the big Tulsa show.
Old 03-22-2016, 01:06 PM
WalnutBill22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Welcome to the forum, Retired MSG, and thank for your service to our country.
I have a No. 20 Marlin, which is very similar to your M47. It is a wonderfully simple design, mostly the work of a firearms genius, Lewis Hepburn. The action is unlocked by pressing on the rear of the firing pin. Most exposed hammer pump rifles work the same way. If yours still won't unlock after doing this, it sounds like you may have a firing pin issue. You can still take it down, and after doing so, it's pretty obvious how everything works. the bolt is easily removed after disconnecting it from the pump rail, and then you should be able to check the firing pin for damage. If the takedown screw is hard to turn, try a little soaking with penetrating oil. You may have to very carefully use some pliers to get it started. Just be sure to pad everything so you don't damage the knurling or bluing.
Good luck with it. WB
Old 03-22-2016, 03:29 PM
pump .22s

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WalnutBill22 View Post
Welcome to the forum, Retired MSG, and thank for your service to our country.
I have a No. 20 Marlin, which is very similar to your M47. It is a wonderfully simple design, mostly the work of a firearms genius, Lewis Hepburn. The action is unlocked by pressing on the rear of the firing pin. Most exposed hammer pump rifles work the same way. If yours still won't unlock after doing this, it sounds like you may have a firing pin issue. You can still take it down, and after doing so, it's pretty obvious how everything works. the bolt is easily removed after disconnecting it from the pump rail, and then you should be able to check the firing pin for damage. If the takedown screw is hard to turn, try a little soaking with penetrating oil. You may have to very carefully use some pliers to get it started. Just be sure to pad everything so you don't damage the knurling or bluing.
Good luck with it. WB
Great advice WB.

I too have the little Model 20....my favorite Marlin slide action. I am in the process of thinning the herd down, and all my slide action marlins are slowly leaving.....a Model 38 will probably be next. But the little 20 will be mine when I die.
Old 08-30-2016, 01:34 AM
CDG306

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
Send a message via AIM to CDG306 Send a message via MSN to CDG306
I have SN 1936 she's not minty but she functions perfectly. Took it apart a couple times to clean and lube. I love that little gun.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (483.2 KB, 4 views)