Old 02-05-2004, 07:51 PM
Fla Brian

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Cool Re: Re: Re: WooHooo!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Calamity Jane
Originally posted by Fla Brian
You missed 'em? Well then I'm right glad I packed 'em afore we got evicted, darlin.'

LOL-- Your a Good Egg Fla Brian
My wife thinks so too - soft boiled - or is that soft-headed. I always get these things mixed up. Hey, this pick-your-own-color stuff is neat.
Old 02-05-2004, 08:06 PM
patm41

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
got me a new squirrel gun

does 20mm qualify ?
Old 02-05-2004, 10:48 PM
Wannabe

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
patm41,

Head shots only, ok.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2004, 01:17 AM
Fla Brian

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Cool

Pat,

You sure you got enough gun there, boy? Them tree rats kin be right ornery, y'all.

Ah garontee!
Old 02-06-2004, 01:21 AM
Gunjunkie
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via AIM to Gunjunkie
OK gang we need to have somone move the Shawnee threads to hunting forum here... We need to abide by the rules and make this site grow and prosper also.. Lets keep all where it should be and no hate and discontent from anyone...
Old 02-06-2004, 07:06 AM
SqS-NbS
US Army Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
A Lhati! I WANT ONE!

I WANT ONE! I WANT ONE! I WANT ONE! I WANT ONE!

I'll agree that 20mm counts if you agree that a .50BMG counts.
Old 02-06-2004, 08:12 AM
SARGE
US Air Force Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (75)
SQS,
I wish I'd have known that you wanted one of those. I didn't use mine anymore and gave it to the kid across the pasture to shoot turtles out of his pond. He's only 12 and gets a big kick out of shooting it.
Old 02-06-2004, 10:25 AM
Marlin5722mag

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Hello everone glad i found this site. Was really enjoying all of the fourms on MT but they are gone now. Was a new user there[450CartridgeBeltMan]. The invatation is still open if any of you guys ever want to come to Arkansas and go Squirrel hunting, just let me know I have a really great squirrel dog and would love to show you guys and gals my favorite squirrel woods.
Old 02-06-2004, 12:51 PM
Gunjunkie

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Below I will copy and paste all the responses from Jan till now we can run from there with it... I don't want to over do the bandwidth here ...
Old 02-06-2004, 12:52 PM
Gunjunkie

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Calamity Jane

Member # 10322

posted 01-01-2004 01:01 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Happy New Year Everybody

--------------------
You may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing that we call 'failure' is not the falling down, but the staying down.
Mary Pickford (1893 - 1979)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posts: 893 | From: Brown City,Michigan | Registered: Jan 2003 | IP: Logged |

SQUACKS

Member # 5485

posted 01-01-2004 01:05 PM
gumlog and i40man: welcome to you both! always good to see new posters to the squirrel threads!

gumlog: i have seen some pictures of the color phases of your southern fox squirrels. here in my part of the country, there is a solid black phase of the the gray squirrel. they seem to be spreading westward at a very slow rate. i have had a couple mounted at some time in my past.

luck!

--------------------
visit my web page at www.home.earthlink.net/~skillgrove

Posts: 1842 | From: ANTIOCH IL. U.S.A. | Registered: Feb 2002 | IP: Logged |

Squirrel Tale
Member # 9907

posted 01-01-2004 02:06 PM
Happy New Year to us all!! May we never own the perfect .22, and may we never give up the search.
Posts: 720 | From: near Land between the Lakes, Tenn. | Registered: Dec 2002 | IP: Logged |

SARGE
Member # 5437

posted 01-02-2004 09:11 AM
I have not seen a black squirrel in a long time. There used to be a few southwest of where I live, but they are gone now. I shoot a lot of grey squirrels with reddish legs and sides, cream colored belly. I think there's some hanky panky going on between those greys and fox squirrels. Shameful!!!!!!
Posts: 2163 | From: Kansas | Registered: Feb 2002 | IP: Logged |

RNSHUTZ
Member # 14910

posted 01-02-2004 01:29 PM
Heck yes it's shameful!!! But it gets worse! Just last week I saw a cottontail rabbit with a long, red, bushy tail climb a tree and proceed to gnaw through a hickory nut!! If I were him I'd be just a tad bit ashamed of Ma.

--------------------
Some turnips are harder to mash than others.

Posts: 40 | From: SE Kansas | Registered: Dec 2003 | IP: Logged |

SARGE
Member # 5437

posted 01-02-2004 08:38 PM

quote:
Originally posted by RNSHUTZ:
Heck yes it's shameful!!! But it gets worse! Just last week I saw a cottontail rabbit with a long, red, bushy tail climb a tree and proceed to gnaw through a hickory nut!! If I were him I'd be just a tad bit ashamed of Ma.

What the hell is the world coming to!!!!!!!!

Gunjunkie

Member # 9809

posted 01-03-2004 03:53 PM
And you think I want some of Tar's shine. Not on you life..

--------------------
Gunjunkie

"There is a time for all things, a time to preach and a time to
pray, but those times have passed away. There is a time to fight,
and that time has now come." --Peter Muhlenberg

Posts: 4988 | From: Bellefonte,Pa USA | Registered: Dec 2002 | IP: Logged |

I40man
Member # 14922

posted 01-03-2004 06:02 PM
Thanks for the welcome.I hope to post much more. Butttttttttt LOL I am more of a rabbit hunter than a squirl hunter. something about a moving target,and easy skinning. plus as I recall as a young boy shortly after I was able to hunt on my own, (You know without dad) I ventured into the woods looking for the nut crackers that often had me on edge as a young deer hunter. Figured I would get some evens. Well anyway, after bagging my first squirl, I realized that I had forgoten my game bag. Well what could I do but put the game under my belt. Being young and not all that skilled at improvization, I got home, unpacked the days bounty,and well,lets just say it would be a good idea to keep the game you bag under your belt on the outside of your pants!!!!! LOL The front of my underware was covered with blood. when My mother seen it she just busted out laughing. I will never forget that one.
Posts: 6 | From: O'fallon mo. | Registered: Dec 2003 | IP: Logged |

Gunjunkie

Member # 9809

posted 01-03-2004 06:55 PM
Well I will tell you that he squirrels at Shawnee act and are different from any that I ever hunted in the east. They are a real challenge..

--------------------
Gunjunkie

Calamity Jane

Member # 10322

posted 01-04-2004 05:18 AM
Wholly smokes am I ever behind in keepin' up with you folks.

Russ & Sarge Thank You--I'm tickled you liked the tape--We need to get after Katie though--she was holdin' out on us in Shawnee--I heard her in the camp. That girl can sing.

Russ--didja' get your squack cracker's tune together?

Jay has been practicin' his banjo pretty faithfully--doesn't sound too bad--he's determined to be able to play it by September.

I saw a sight a couple weeks ago that even though I saw it--I couldn't believe it, I even pulled my truck off the road and watched for a lil' while.
I counted 25+ squirrels in an open plowed field, it was around 2:30 in the afternoon, they were a good 250 yards from the woods and just seemed to be playin and scurryin' about---a few of 'em were maybe 25 feet from my truck and had the nerve to wink at me--I was a little insulted and disgusted with 'em for it. OK-OK-OK--maybe they didn't wink-- but doggone it-- they didn't have to just sit there and watch me back either--that's just rude--even for a squirrel. LOL--anyway--I'd never seen a sight like that before--I've seen quite a few together in the woods a time or two--but never that many at a time in an open field.

I'm gearin' up for Shawnee---and lookin' forward to seein' you all again and a few new faces too.

Welcome to you new folks--forgive my tardiness in
greeting you here to the Squirrel threads and MT forum--& hope you can make it to Shawnee 2004.

Happy Hunting Folks

--------------------
You may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing that we call 'failure' is not the falling down, but the staying down.

bowdog62010

Member # 12369

posted 01-04-2004 09:37 AM
Cj,
I'd like to have oatmeal, and chocolate chip cookies. Planning on buying one of the over the stove coffee pots by coleman like the other fella's had so maybe we can have fresh hot chocolate in the morning too.
It's a raining turning to freezing mess here looks like a good day to be out after bambi's grandpa or ma so I'm leaving out soon. wish me luck.

--------------------
One shot, just one

Posts: 318 | From: Bethalto, Il 62010 | Registered: Jun 2003 | IP: Logged |

firstshot

Member # 9576

posted 01-04-2004 11:34 AM
Sometimes you just get wet!

It was raining when we left the house this morning, but we were bound & determined to get a little squirrel hunting in. The plan was it was going to quit raining by the time we got to the hunting woods. The plan worked just fine for a while. By the time we got there it was just drizzling.

We were taking my Jack Russel "Angel" out to hunt for the first time with some seasoned squirrel dogs (also Jack Russels). I was really excited to see how she would do....sooooo..%%%% the rain full speed ahead.

Didn't take them long to tree the first squirrel but he went into a hollow. 10 minutes later they treed one in a tall pine tree. I had just located the squirrel with the scope when....the bottom fell out....RAIN....BIG DROPS!!!... and lots of them....LOL.

By the time we got back to the truck we were all soaked. No squirrels, wet dogs, wet hunters! Oh well....maybe next time.

Hope everyone else is having better luck!

firstshot

--------------------
firstshot

Make your first shot count!

Posts: 1001 | From: Bentonville, AR, USA | Registered: Nov 2002 | IP: Logged |

SQUACKS

Member # 5485

posted 01-04-2004 01:29 PM
firstshot: there is an unwritten law someplace that says it will never really pour down rain until you are as far from your vehicle as you can get!

luck!

--------------------

Calamity Jane

Member # 10322

posted 01-04-2004 01:39 PM
Hey Bowdog -- You bet I'll wish you Luck on the Big Bambi's--we liked that venison over the campfire last year-- --hope we get to see some pictures too.
I'll write chocolate chip and oatmeal on the cookie list -- I ordered a new coffee pot too-Dad ribbed me pretty good for not makin' cowboy coffee last year, so I'll be sure to have it right this year--LOL

Firstshot -- sounds like you had fun regardless of the rain. Best lil' squirrel dog I ever had was a white and black beagle mix--Abbey--that lil' girl would climb the trees even--she was alot of fun to hunt with--she was lion hearted and happy.
You wanna see sumthin' hilarious--you shoulda' seen my bloodhound the first-time I took him out--he was'nt quite a year old yet, he spotted the squirrel and his nose hit the ground and he was off and runnin'-- good thing their a hard-headed lot--he wasn't lookin' up while runnin'--and introduced himself to a tree--he sat down and shook it off and was up and runnin' again--AND watchin' where he was goin'--LOL
Good Luck with your Jack Russel--Have Fun.

--------------------

SARGE
Member # 5437

posted 01-04-2004 01:54 PM
I like oatmeal cookies, but I don't like chocolate chip. I do like oatmeal cookies. Cookies made out of oatmeal. Oatmeal cookies are good. Oatmeal cookies are good in the morning with coffee before going hunting. I hope someone brings some oatmeal cookies to the shawnee hunt.

Squirrel Tale
Member # 9907

posted 01-04-2004 03:01 PM
Sure glad I checked in here today. I needed a good laugh and this is one really entertaining page. It is good to see the posts from all the FNGs. If what I've read so far is any indication of of the stories you guys have stored up then this site is going to be a lot of fun for all of us. Welcome aboard.
Posts: 720 | From: near Land between the Lakes, Tenn. | Registered: Dec 2002 | IP: Logged |

Fla Brian

Member # 13810

posted 01-04-2004 05:03 PM
I can't figure it out, but somethin' tells me that someone should bring oatmeal cookies to Shawnee.

--------------------
Brian
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Instructor
NAHC Life Member
Nil sine magno labore.

Posts: 1249 | From: Middleburg, FL | Registered: Oct 2003 | IP: Logged |

Gunjunkie

Member # 9809

posted 01-04-2004 05:36 PM
Brian; I assure you that CJ will bring plenty of cookies.. LOL... and good ones too..

--------------------
Gunjunkie

Old 02-06-2004, 12:53 PM
Gunjunkie

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
SARGE
Member # 5437

posted 01-04-2004 06:07 PM
I hope some are oatmeal. I like oatmeal cookies.

mike243
Member # 6962

posted 01-04-2004 07:39 PM
i heard tell oatmeal keeps the real old farts regular whatever that means
Posts: 132 | From: east Tn. | Registered: May 2002 | IP: Logged |

firstshot

Member # 9576

posted 01-04-2004 07:57 PM

quote:
Originally posted by mike243:

mike243

I think it means that on a regular basis they can shoot more squirrels than all the rest of us put together. At least that's the way it was with SQUACKS & Sarge last year at Shawnee....LOL

--------------------
firstshot

bowdog62010

Member # 12369

posted 01-04-2004 08:18 PM
This time I just got wet.

--------------------
One shot, just one

SARGE
Member # 5437

posted 01-04-2004 10:25 PM

quote:

Hey Mike,
You ain't no spring chicken, ya know!!!!

Calamity Jane

Member # 10322

posted 01-05-2004 01:24 AM
Lemme seeeeee............

Oatmeal (Plain)
Oatmeal/raisin
Oatmeal/walnut/raisin
Oatmeal/chocolate chip
Oatmeal/Butterscotch chip
Oatmeal chocolate drop (No-Bakes)
Oatmeal/walnut/white chocolate chip
Oatmeal/peanutbutter chip

--------------------

mike243
Member # 6962

posted 01-05-2004 05:07 AM
sarge your correct i like oatmeal & peanutbutter cookies been waiting on someone to ask her to make some prune cookies,you know to counteract all that fiber in case they eat to many oatmeal cookies

mike243
Member # 6962

posted 01-05-2004 05:09 AM
sarge your correct i like oatmeal & peanutbutter cookies been waiting on someone to ask her to make some prune cookies,you know to counteract all that fiber in case they eat to many oatmeal cookies

Gunjunkie

Member # 9809

posted 01-05-2004 04:00 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Calamity Jane:
Lemme seeeeee............

Oatmeal (Plain)
Oatmeal/raisin
Oatmeal/walnut/raisin
Oatmeal/chocolate chip
Oatmeal/Butterscotch chip
Oatmeal chocolate drop (No-Bakes)
Oatmeal/walnut/white chocolate chip
Oatmeal/peanutbutter chip

Thats a start CJ....

--------------------
Gunjunkie

danurve

Member # 6597

posted 01-05-2004 06:55 PM
firstshot;
Notice those guys didn't comment on what you said?

--------------------
Three out of five voices in my head told me to just stay home today, and clean my guns.

Posts: 934 | From: Lyncourt, (Syracuse) NY | Registered: Apr 2002 | IP: Logged |

danurve

Member # 6597

posted 01-05-2004 06:59 PM
Hey! I thought this was a squirrel hunting thread anyways .. season ends up here Feb. 29th. How about for the rest of you's?

--------------------
Three out of five voices in my head told me to just stay home today, and clean my guns.

Posts: 934 | From: Lyncourt, (Syracuse) NY | Registered: Apr 2002 | IP: Logged |

Gunjunkie

Member # 9809

posted 01-05-2004 07:04 PM
Feb 7th, but I don't have scuba gear to go in the woods

--------------------
Gunjunkie

mike243
Member # 6962

posted 01-05-2004 07:26 PM
firstshot;
Notice those guys didn't comment on what you said?
well it was pretty obvious no need to have our noses rubed in it you all are lucky SQAUCKS GAVE ME ANOTHER DOSE OF IT & I STILL WANT TO GIVE IT ANOTHER TRY WHAT DO YA SAY SQAUCKS 1 MORE WEEK OF DEER SEASON THEN BACK TA TREERATS, CHEATED THIS EVENING TOOK 882SSV GOT 1 sorry about caps aint backin up

SARGE
Member # 5437

posted 01-05-2004 07:58 PM
Squirrel season ends here the last day of FEB

SQUACKS

Member # 5485

posted 01-05-2004 09:18 PM
mike243: there is small chance that i would get to morristown before april. i plan to make it there in april for sure. hope to do some turkey hunting down in your parts. maybe over in leverpullers parts as well!

you certainly have a fine woods to hunt squirrels in and i hope you get the chance to get after them.

i seem to recall that you skunked me one evening in oakwood bottoms. i like to keep the record straight. i believe you and danurve both did. i will keep practicing.

season here in illinois goes out jan. 20 and wisconsin goes out jan. 31. then i go into withdrawals!

luck!

--------------------

VTDW

Member # 9717

posted 01-05-2004 09:27 PM
GJ,

Your Zorro really looks like Michael Jackson.

--------------------
I don't know how I got over the hill without getting to the top.

Posts: 1985 | From: Edmond, Okla | Registered: Dec 2002 | IP: Logged |

Gunjunkie

Member # 9809

posted 01-05-2004 11:22 PM
Your eye looks like a pervert.

--------------------
Gunjunkie

GraybushyBuster

Member # 9819

posted 01-05-2004 11:34 PM
NY lets me keep shooting those little grays until the first of march.

First day of march is a sad day... -gbb
Posts: 1509 | From: The Hudson Valley, NY State | Registered: Dec 2002 | IP: Logged |

SARGE
Member # 5437

posted 01-06-2004 02:35 PM

quote:
Originally posted by GraybushyBuster:

First day of march is a sad day... -gbb

Whadda ya mean? That's my birthday!!!!!!

Taff
Member # 10984

posted 01-06-2004 03:22 PM
Whats a squirrel season,mine ends the day they screw the lid down lol
Posts: 430 | From: Southampton,Hampshire,Great Britain | Registered: Feb 2003 | IP: Logged |

Gunjunkie

Member # 9809

posted 01-07-2004 10:48 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Taff:
Whats a squirrel season,mine ends the day they screw the lid down lol

NOW THATS A RABID SQUIRREL HUNTER.. LMAO

--------------------
Gunjunkie

RNSHUTZ
Member # 14910

posted 01-08-2004 03:00 AM
Guys.....I'm gettin ready to do something that some folks might consider dumb and I need some serious input here. For some reason I've got it in my head that I just have to have a Ruger MKII bull barrel stainless with a variable power, long relief scope for squirrel hunting. I've even begun to fantasize about customizing it with grips, trigger job, etc.

Now I know %%%% good and well I don't need it, and that I can hit squirrels better with a rifle(probably 5 to 1 or worse). I must have some godawful fever or something.

Please.....someone talk me out of it.

Errr....Ummmm.... anyone here ever hunt squirrels with a scoped handgun? If so.....did you have any luck?

P.S.-SQUACKS.......I just ran across your squirrel skinning video. Great stuff!!! Best example of de-skinnery I've seen. I think it made my girlfriend h**ny. Thanks for that.

--------------------

bowdog62010

Member # 12369

posted 01-08-2004 09:01 AM
not a scoped one and yes I got one or two in the 27 years I've owned that ruger markI. enjoy yourself.

--------------------
One shot, just one

RexM
Member # 7479

posted 01-08-2004 10:54 AM
I use to have one of those Ruger Mk II "Slabside" Taget models. In stainless. Used two different scopes on it; either an Aimpoint type or a Simmons variable. Really, really accurate handgun. Made me look like I could shoot! Wanted to use it for frogs in summer, or "backup" during deer season when all you see are squirrels. It was just too heavy for trail use. Traded it in on Kimber rifle. Just not into pisols much, although if Ruger put adjustable sights on their "Bearcat" I would be interested in trying again.
Rex
Posts: 426 | From: Memphis TN | Registered: Jul 2002 | IP: Logged |

Squirrel Tale
Member # 9907

posted 01-08-2004 08:50 PM
Sorry, RN, there's only one cure for the bug that's eating you, and it ain't abstinence.
Old 02-06-2004, 12:55 PM
Gunjunkie

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
firstshot

Member # 9576

posted 01-08-2004 11:30 PM

quote:
I just have to have a Ruger MKII bull barrel stainless with a variable power, long relief scope for squirrel hunting.

RNSHUTZ

Sorry RN..you wont get any help or sympathy here!

As a matter of fact, what ever you have must be catching! I was just looking at the MKII bull barrel slab sides just the other night and thinking the same thing. I think it would be a hoot to hunt squirrels with a scoped 22LR pistol.

The majority of squirrel shots are at 30 Yards or less and I think most of those at the 20-25Yd range. With a little practice I think that would be well within the "Kill" range for a scoped 22 pistol!

Shucks....I was OK as long as I was just thinking about it...now that I've opened my mouth and actually said it, I've got to at least go the the local gun shop and hold one of those MKII's in my hand!!!

Yea....That's what I'm talking about!!!

RN, if I get in trouble with the wife over this, I'm gona blame it on you!!!!

--------------------
firstshot

RNSHUTZ
Member # 14910

posted 01-09-2004 12:38 AM

quote:
Originally posted by firstshot:

quote:
I just have to have a Ruger MKII bull barrel stainless with a variable power, long relief scope for squirrel hunting.

RNSHUTZ

Sorry RN..you wont get any help or sympathy here!

As a matter of fact, what ever you have must be catching! I was just looking at the MKII bull barrel slab sides just the other night and thinking the same thing. I think it would be a hoot to hunt squirrels with a scoped 22LR pistol.

The majority of squirrel shots are at 30 Yards or less and I think most of those at the 20-25Yd range. With a little practice I think that would be well within the "Kill" range for a scoped 22 pistol!

Shucks....I was OK as long as I was just thinking about it...now that I've opened my mouth and actually said it, I've got to at least go the the local gun shop and hold one of those MKII's in my hand!!!

Yea....That's what I'm talking about!!!

RN, if I get in trouble with the wife over this, I'm gona blame it on you!!!!

Ah heck.....go ahead and blame me.....as long as she don't know where I'm at it's ok....now if I get sniped at by some woman in a ghillie suit....I'll know what happened!!!

That slab side is kinda tempting. Isn't it already tapped for a scope? That's important because the local gunsmith retired and getting someone to tap a ss bull bbl might involve some traveling.

RNSHUTZ
Member # 14910

posted 01-09-2004 12:42 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Squirrel Tale:
Sorry, RN, there's only one cure for the bug that's eating you, and it ain't abstinence.

Well if the cure ain't abstinence then I'll have to try obstinance!!!! Or maybe just go buy one of the %%%% things....grumble...grumble....It's gonna cut into my next 45-70 money though...and my next shotgun money, and my next deer rifle money etc etc etc.

Just 20 more guns and I'll quit.....I promise....course theres ammo and accessories to worry about.

Contributions cheerfully accepted!

--------------------

RexM
Member # 7479

posted 01-09-2004 09:49 AM
The slabside does come drilled and taped, also with a Ruger style base and rings. To mount some of the Aimpoint type scopes that use Weaver rings you will have to get another base from Brownells. And yes, it is very accurate. Squirrels at 20 yds are very possible. If the thing just wasnt so darn heavy. IF you do get one, I highly reccommend a shoulder holster. If you dont your breaches may end up around your ankles after a days hiking!!!! Rex

PS. I saw a beautiful blued version of the slabside yesterday with fancy walnut grips. It was nice.
Posts: 426 | From: Memphis TN | Registered: Jul 2002 | IP: Logged |

Calamity Jane

Member # 10322

posted 01-09-2004 05:18 PM
Squirrel season ends here March 1st too--gotta give 'em a lil' break so they can enlighten us with more targets.

--------------------

Gunjunkie

Member # 9809

posted 01-10-2004 01:54 PM
I have concluded,, thats it too cold here, all the squirrels have gone south....

--------------------
Gunjunkie

SARGE
Member # 5437

posted 01-10-2004 02:00 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Gunjunkie:
I have concluded,, thats it too cold here, all the squirrels have gone south....

So you're one of those fair weather squirrel hunters, huh?

Gunjunkie

Member # 9809

posted 01-10-2004 02:46 PM
Hell yea... LOL... spoiled rotten too.. I wait till they come to me to shoot them.. LMAOPMP

--------------------
Gunjunkie

Gunjunkie

Member # 9809

posted 01-11-2004 02:09 PM
Bump

--------------------
Gunjunkie

Taff
Member # 10984

posted 01-12-2004 04:14 PM
What is it with squirrels and my plastic pheasant feeders,are they happy to eat the corn on the floor NO! they have to eat the Blxxxy feeders as well
Posts: 430 | From: Southampton,Hampshire,Great Britain | Registered: Feb 2003 | IP: Logged |

Wannabe
Member # 10221

posted 01-12-2004 05:01 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Taff:
What is it with squirrels and my plastic pheasant feeders,are they happy to eat the corn on the floor NO! they have to eat the Blxxxy feeders as well

Taff,
Two step solution to your problem.

1. Shoot the squirrels.
2. Eat the evidence.

--------------------
Wannabe

Posts: 80 | From: Portage, MI, USA | Registered: Jan 2003 | IP: Logged |

Gunjunkie

Member # 9809

posted 01-13-2004 11:28 AM
Taff you just need some sweet baby rays and your in heaven.. LOL

--------------------
Gunjunkie

Taff
Member # 10984

posted 01-13-2004 02:25 PM
MMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm sweet baby raysmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

1776Patriot
Member # 8964

posted 01-13-2004 05:44 PM
I haven't visited this site for a while, I've been chasing PA white tails during the primitive muzzleloader season, and now that I have that out of my system, there's about 4 weeks of squirrel season left here in PA. Like the Gunjunkie, I would like a bit of a January thaw to stir up the bushy tails before I go sittin' for any amount of time. There were days during the muzzleloader season that I didn't see a single gray; however, I did have a first time experience with a squirrel while I was putting on a push for some friends. I paused beside a big chestnut oak to catch my breath, when "Crash"!, a gray squirrel fell out of its nest from, at least, 40 feet up in the tree. It layed there stunned for a moment, scrambled to its feet, shook itself off and scampered back up the tree. It must have had a nightmare or something. It scared the crap out of me, I'll tell you. A new publication just started in PA, and it looks like a pretty good product. It is called the Pennsylvania Outdoor News, and it is well done by a young fellow from Altoona. The first issue has an article by Gregg Rinkus which includes a recipe called, "Country Style Crock Pot Squirrel Stew", and I'll include it here. Parboil, debone and chop 4-6 squirrels - 1-2 cans cream of mushroom soup - 2 medium potatoes - 1/2 diced medium onion, finely chopped - 2 cups drained whole kernel corn - 1 cup peas - 2 cups fresh green beans, cut up - 1 cup fresh carrots, cut up - 2 sticks celery, chopped - 1 clove fresh garlic - large dash fresh ground pepper - 1/2 tablespoon salt - 1/2 cup butter Season to taste. Thoroughly mis all ingredients in a crock pot, thin with water if desired, cook on low for 10-12 hours, and serve over fresh baked buttermilk biscuits or in bowls. Get out there and shoot your 4-6 squirrels! The old, 1776 Patriot!
Posts: 30 | From: Reading, PA., USA | Registered: Oct 2002 | IP: Logged |

SARGE
Member # 5437

posted 01-13-2004 08:14 PM
Now that sounds good!
Old 02-06-2004, 12:56 PM
Gunjunkie

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
tarheel
Member # 8569

posted 01-13-2004 08:34 PM
Hey Sarge,You packed yet?With Gunjunkie shootin,CJ skinnin, and Squacks cookin,we'llsit over in the old farts corner and take a sip or two.For the arthritus only you know.I think I'll even bring a lounge chair.Maybe somebody will take pity and throw a blanket over me.Tarheel
Posts: 182 | From: high point,n.c. | Registered: Oct 2002 | IP: Logged |

bowdog62010

Member # 12369

posted 01-14-2004 01:10 PM
don't bet on a blanket,maybe a bucket of water to stop the snoring. lol

--------------------
One shot, just one

tarheel
Member # 8569

posted 01-14-2004 01:22 PM
Bowdog,Surely not! Might water down what I been sippin on.Tarheel

Gunjunkie

Member # 9809

posted 01-14-2004 04:29 PM
You haven't seen CJ skinnin... ROFLMAO..

Sorry CJ,, I just remember the good times.. ((((((HUGS))))))

--------------------
Gunjunkie

SARGE
Member # 5437

posted 01-16-2004 07:59 AM
Nobody squirrel hunting? I guess all you squirrel hunters have gotten the winter lazies.

Taff
Member # 10984

posted 01-16-2004 03:20 PM
To busy on pheasants and deer at the moment Sarge though I might try and fit in a squirrel on Sunday. Do you all notice that Russ is sneaking off to clear springs again ( I suppose he's done his bit)it looks as if he wants to steal squaks crown next year LOL.

rustynuts
Member # 7342

posted 01-16-2004 06:05 PM
Taff is correct, I will be sneaking to Clear Springs this Sunday and Monday. As far as crowns go...I think I may have a chance at the squirrel crown in about 20 years once Squacks and Sarge slow down a bit. LOL

Hope everyone is well.
Posts: 446 | From: glen carbon, il, usa | Registered: Jun 2002 | IP: Logged |

Gunjunkie

Member # 9809

posted 01-16-2004 06:20 PM
You and the rest of us Rustynuts..

--------------------
Gunjunkie

Wisconsin

Member # 14107

posted 01-16-2004 07:53 PM
I took my cat to the vet to get spayed today and decided to squirel hunt while I waited. I must have walked around 10 miles. I waxed six of the little buggers. I stopped because that is the bag limit here and my pockets were full. I definately need to invest in a good game bag or backpack. Could'nt have picked a better day. I think it gout up to around 32 - 33 today and my truck even got a bath. My girlfriend refuses to eat squirrel. Anyone know of a recipe that she wont be able to resist? It has to look and smell really yummy.
Posts: 140 | From: Twin Cities | Registered: Nov 2003 | IP: Logged |

Gunjunkie

Member # 9809

posted 01-16-2004 10:20 PM
Good Shootin...

--------------------
Gunjunkie

SARGE
Member # 5437

posted 01-17-2004 07:49 AM
Wisconsin,
At he beginning of this thread there are a lot of recipes. Start at the beginning and you'll run into them pretty quick.

SQUACKS

Member # 5485

posted 01-17-2004 12:37 PM
wednesday evening i got the news. i have a grandson! my first. we now have one of each. things have clicked into place. i feel strangely settled. a "serendipity" sort of feeling....

mom and baby are doing great. i think a few camoflaged onesies are in order!

good luck!

--------------------

VTDW

Member # 9717

posted 01-17-2004 01:42 PM
SQUACKS,

Heartfelt congratulations Paw Paw.

We Paw Paw's can make such a profound influence on our grandchildren becaus they listen to us always.

How big is the little guy?

--------------------
I don't know how I got over the hill without getting to the top.

Posts: 1985 | From: Edmond, Okla | Registered: Dec 2002 | IP: Logged |

bowdog62010

Member # 12369

posted 01-17-2004 02:32 PM
Congrats,
My grandson is 5 you have many joys ahead.

What 22 are you thinking of buying him to learn on?

Many days of happiness and great hunting with the little guy are wished upon you.

--------------------
One shot, just one

Gunjunkie

Member # 9809

posted 01-17-2004 03:29 PM
Congrats Squacks..

--------------------
Gunjunkie

SARGE
Member # 5437

posted 01-17-2004 07:21 PM
Congratulations gramps, you old fart.

Gunjunkie

Member # 9809

posted 01-17-2004 07:34 PM

quote:
Originally posted by SARGE:
Congratulations gramps, you old fart.

Talk about the pot calling the kettle black.. LMAOPMP

--------------------
Gunjunkie

SnookKatcher
Member # 7692

posted 01-17-2004 08:16 PM
Congrat's, Squacks!! May you both hunt together often!! Lee.

--------------------
" This river don't go to Aintry...."

Posts: 244 | From: Safety Harbor; Fla.; U.S.A. | Registered: Jul 2002 | IP: Logged |

rustynuts
Member # 7342

posted 01-17-2004 08:32 PM
Congrats Squacks, happy to hear all is well.
Posts: 446 | From: glen carbon, il, usa | Registered: Jun 2002 | IP: Logged |

SQUACKS

Member # 5485

posted 01-17-2004 08:39 PM
thank you all. his name is ERIK. the little feller is 22" long and weighed 8 lbs and 12 oz. at present he has blonde hair and blue eyes.

my wife and i went out today and got him some camo onesies, camo coveralls and a camo bib. that bib might be important when i introduce him to sweet baby rays bbq squirrel. it will be a few days for that!

luck!

--------------------

tarheel
Member # 8569

posted 01-18-2004 07:16 AM
Congratulations grandpa! Looks like you'r startin him out right.Got a 39A stuck back in the closet for him yet.Grandkids are fun,Iv'e got 4,2 of them shooters already.Tarheel

patm41
Member # 13462

posted 01-18-2004 08:57 AM
can i go ?if ya let me bring my pistol
http://www.hunt101.com/img/090878.jpg
Posts: 128 | From: texas | Registered: Sep 2003 | IP: Logged |

SARGE
Member # 5437

posted 01-18-2004 11:10 AM
patm,
If it's a rimfire bring it on. BTW who's that ugly old man that's holding that pistol?

patm41
Member # 13462

posted 01-18-2004 12:25 PM
that old fart is me
Old 02-06-2004, 12:57 PM
Gunjunkie

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Gunjunkie

Member # 9809

posted 01-18-2004 12:54 PM
Hope you can do head shots at 30 yds on squirrel with it,, There tough hunting down there..

--------------------
Gunjunkie

patm41
Member # 13462

posted 01-18-2004 01:23 PM
head shots, body shots ..cut the tree down too!!

Gunjunkie

Member # 9809

posted 01-18-2004 01:45 PM

--------------------
Gunjunkie

Taff
Member # 10984

posted 01-18-2004 02:57 PM
Congrats Squaks

SARGE
Member # 5437

posted 01-18-2004 03:39 PM

quote:
Originally posted by patm41:
that old fart is me

Well, %%%%ed if you won't fit right in with the rest of us ugly old farts. Make plans to attend.

mike243
Member # 6962

posted 01-18-2004 06:48 PM
congrats sqaucks i may have to talk to my son & his wife & explain thangs heck i'd like to have a couple while i can still get around to take them hunting mike

Squirrel Tale
Member # 9907

posted 01-19-2004 08:01 PM
I have my Grandad to thank for a lifetime a pleasure with guns and hunting.

SARGE
Member # 5437

posted 01-19-2004 10:47 PM

quote:
congrats sqaucks i may have to talk to my son & his wife & explain thangs heck i'd like to have a couple while i can still get around to take them hunting mike

So Mike, you still remember all about that kinda stuff, huh?

Calamity Jane

Member # 10322

posted 01-20-2004 12:13 AM

quote:

That's Okay GJ--ummm--ya think ya might remember batteries for the flashlight this time?
I couldn't see me skinnin' squirrels neither

--------------------

Gunjunkie

Member # 9809

posted 01-20-2004 12:33 PM
Wasn't my flashlight..so there.. LMAOPMP..

--------------------
Gunjunkie

Gunjunkie

Member # 9809

posted 01-21-2004 06:03 PM

quote:

Just look what you started Rustynuts..

--------------------
Gunjunkie

firstshot

Member # 9576

posted 01-21-2004 07:57 PM

quote:

Now I've got to take up for CJ. I think she did a dang fine job of skinnin that squirrel considering the poor light and dull knife she was usin (butter knife would have worked better); however, if whoever shot that squirrel had used a 17V you'd have got the same results and saved a lot of skinnin time....LOLROFPMP

--------------------
firstshot

Gunjunkie

Member # 9809

posted 01-21-2004 08:18 PM

quote:
Originally posted by firstshot:

quote:

Now I've got to take up for CJ. I think she did a dang fine job of skinnin that squirrel considering the poor light and dull knife she was usin (butter knife would have worked better); however, if whoever shot that squirrel had used a 17V you'd have got the same results and saved a lot of skinnin time....LOLROFPMP

Firstshot.. Dull Knife was ok, Jay told me not to give her sharp objects...

--------------------
Gunjunkie

Calamity Jane

Member # 10322

posted 01-21-2004 08:27 PM
LOL---

--------------------

Fla Brian

Member # 13810

posted 01-22-2004 01:25 PM
Squacks,

Bettuh late than nevuh, congrats on th' new grand young'un. Now y'all gotta learn him all y'all's bad habits - make a real Squackinator outen him.

--------------------
Brian
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Instructor
NAHC Life Member
Nil sine magno labore.

Posts: 1249 | From: Middleburg, FL | Registered: Oct 2003 | IP: Logged |

SARGE
Member # 5437

posted 01-23-2004 07:40 AM
Well, folks, the squirrel season is pretty much over for me. It stays open here till the end of Feb, but I don't hunt them once the 25th of Jan comes around. They will be having young ones here early to mid Feb. I hope all of you had a great squirrel season. I know I'm looking forward to next squirrel season.
Old 02-06-2004, 12:58 PM
Gunjunkie

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Gunjunkie

Member # 9809

posted 01-23-2004 01:13 PM
Over for me also till Shawnee..

--------------------
Gunjunkie

danurve

Member # 6597

posted 01-23-2004 03:05 PM
One more open month here, planning to hit an old logging trail next weekend ending the month of Jan. If weather holds take two or three days in Feb. to finish up the season and scout for varmints too. Leaving March to close up on coyote.

rimfire chat
chat help

--------------------

Squirrel Tale
Member # 9907

posted 01-23-2004 11:41 PM
Went hunting one morning back in Dec when the squirrel rut was at its peak. As daylight started to seep into the woods squirrels were coming from everywhere. I saw one come out of a hole in a den tree and two more were in hot pursuit right behind her. They almost ran over me, and I could hear the one in front squeaking, "EF, EF, EF" as it went by. The two behind here were squaking, "FF, FF, FF". They made a circle and one of the chasers was slowing down some as they came back by me. So I hollered at him right quick and said, "Whatda y'all mean by EF and FF". He shouted back at me as he scurried on, "She wants to eat first".

Calamity Jane

Member # 10322

posted 01-24-2004 04:01 AM
LMAO --Squirreltale--

Hope I'm not repeatin' myself on this--season for squirrel here, stays open till March 1st-- I haven't braved the -17 weather to go out and aggitate 'em and test my new .22--I don't wanna subject it too such abusive conditons yet--it's still a greenhorn--LOL

--------------------

Gunjunkie

Member # 9809

posted 01-24-2004 11:27 AM

quote:
Went hunting one morning back in Dec when the squirrel rut was at its peak. As daylight started to seep into the woods squirrels were coming from everywhere. I saw one come out of a hole in a den tree and two more were in hot pursuit right behind her. They almost ran over me, and I could hear the one in front squeaking, "EF, EF, EF" as it went by. The two behind here were squaking, "FF, FF, FF". They made a circle and one of the chasers was slowing down some as they came back by me. So I hollered at him right quick and said, "Whatda y'all mean by EF and FF". He shouted back at me as he scurried on, "She wants to eat first".

\

--------------------
Gunjunkie

SARGE
Member # 5437

posted 01-25-2004 08:24 AM
I just have a hard time believing that story. In your part of the coutry I think that gal squirrel would be saying VF.

Squirrel Tale
Member # 9907

posted 01-26-2004 09:02 PM
Sarge, I guess I got up too early this morning when I went squirrel hunting. Anyway, I'm drawing a blank on the "V". 'Splain me some.

You know, you'd think that some of the excitement would wear off of squirrel hunting after about 50 years of it, but I still have trouble sleeping the night before I plan to hunt. I always end up getting up earlier than I need to and most of the time I have to sit in the truck 15 or 20 min before I go into the woods.
It was 45 degrees when I got up this morning and there was a heavy fog. I left home way too early and stopped at J.T.'s for some conversation and a sausage biscuit and coffee to kill some time.
Timed it just right. Got to the woods just at the beginning of first light. The fog was still heavy and the leaves were wet from the rain last night.
Eased into the woods about 100 yd and sat down. Didn't get settled good until I saw the first squirrel come out in a tree at about 35 yd. I watched him scurrying around in the branches while I adjusted my position. When he finally stopped I adjusted his attitude with a Win PowerPoint. About ten minutes later another one ran out on a limb on a tree next to that one and I gave it a pain in the neck. Sat there a while and knocked another one out of a tree down the side of the ridge from the first two. Picked up the first two and went down for the other one but never could find it. Moved about 75 yd and sat for about 10 min and spotted one in the top of a tree at about 50 yd. Cranked up the X to 11, adjusted the focus and gave him a neck shot. A couple of minutes later another one showed up in the top of the same tree and received equal treatment. That was all I wanted, so I picked them up and went back to the place where I couldn't find that one. Spent about an hour combing the woods and never did find it. Stopped at a creek and cleaned the squirrels and headed for home. Stopped on the way for conversation at the 'smith's shop. Temp was up to 70 degrees. The squirrels are soaking in salt water in my fridge. Supposed to snow, rain and be miserable tomorrow so I guess I'll pop the squirrels in the oven and enjoy them again while I sit in the warm kitchen with a cup of hot coffee and watch it come down.

SARGE
Member # 5437

posted 01-26-2004 09:08 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Squirrel Tale:
[QB] Sarge, I guess I got up too early this morning when I went squirrel hunting. Anyway, I'm drawing a blank on the "V". 'Splain me some.

"V" = Vittles

Squirrel Tale
Member # 9907

posted 01-26-2004 09:16 PM
You're right, Sarge, how could I have missed that? Makes my face red enough to match my neck.

Gunjunkie

Member # 9809

posted 01-27-2004 03:36 PM

quote:
You're right, Sarge, how could I have missed that? Makes my face red enough to match my neck.

Don't feel bad, have to watch them people from Kansas.. ROFLMAO>>>

--------------------
Gunjunkie

RNSHUTZ
Member # 14910

posted 01-28-2004 04:15 AM
Us folks from KS is all full of BS (I'm beginnin to suspect it would be a close shave betwixt Sarge and me). Heck you can't afford to play mumbledeepeg with a good KS boy.(he'll steal your leg).

On a more serious and technical note though......ummmmm. this is kinda embarrasing....not sure how to ask. You see.....I got this disability. I never have been too good with a scope. I use em cause I have to but I also use a pair of shootin sticks with em.

I wasn't sure how to broach the subject with all the squirrel hunters here. I don't wanna be that special ed. kid that nobody hangs out with. I just hope I'm not the only squirrel hunter here who uses em. It's not that I can't hit a squirrel without em. it's just that I'm greedy.......I can't hit 99 out of a hundred without em. And, by golly, every squirrel I see with fuzz on that I aint shot makes me pi**ed off that he aint bound for my skillet. I guess it's a character flaw.

So.....hows about it. Anyone else resort to shootin sticks? More importantly.....are they allowed at Shawnee?? Are they frowned upon?????

All a grit eater can do is ask.

--------------------

RNSHUTZ
Member # 14910

posted 01-28-2004 04:38 AM
Shame on you Sarge.....I was lookin at the early posts in this thread and you commented that hedge apples make squirrels taste nasty.......shoot!!.....it just makes em taste more like hedge posts is all.

This is a new one on me....I never seen a single post thread persist from 2001.....YEEEEEHAWWWW!

--------------------

tarheel
Member # 8569

posted 01-28-2004 07:19 AM
Hell Rnshutz,it dont matter how you git em,as long as you git em! Got any extra sticks? Tarheel

SARGE
Member # 5437

posted 01-28-2004 07:57 AM
I use a hunting staff. I can't sneak real slow through the timber without loosing my balance unless I have a hunting staff to steady me. I can shoot off it if I need to. A hunting staff is of course allowed at shawnee, but shooting sticks are specifically double outlawed at the shawnee hunt.

tarheel
Member # 8569

posted 01-28-2004 04:56 PM
Well,there goes the broom handle.Tarheel

DoniphanRedneck

Member # 14137

posted 01-28-2004 05:13 PM
Sticks, Staffs,,,, who needs um.. ther are enough tree to len on and stedy your gun with... I have never used anthing but my own arms or a tree...

I like to use tree's because you do'nt have to carry them and there readly avalable.

--------------------
One Shot One Kill
Accuracy is everything

Posts: 54 | From: Missouri | Registered: Nov 2003 | IP: Logged |

SQUACKS

Member # 5485

posted 01-28-2004 05:34 PM
i usually lean my rifle agin the closest tree. shootin sticks would be alright if i had some and could remember to get me and the sticks together into the woods at the same time. better yet would be that lady godiva would volunteer to come along and just let me shoot off her shoulder.....i am sure she wouldn't shake nary a bit...but i might..........how much do these shootin sticks cost?

luck!

--------------------

SARGE
Member # 5437

posted 01-28-2004 09:13 PM
Squacks,
I have an extra hunting staff I'll bring for you.

Tarheel,
a broom handle could pass as a hunting staff. It's just shooting sticks that are double outlawed. Now if rnshutz would quit calling them shooting sticks and called it a hunting staff, he may be able to get away with them. It just depends on what kind of mood Squacks is in when he inspects them.