Colt Cadet - Page 3 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 08-05-2013, 07:57 PM
mjrsfj40

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)

I have owned a Colt 22 since 1996. Mounted an optic on a Weigand mount (no longer made) and have shot countless rounds through it without fail. Been looking for a second one for quite awhile, but at a reasonable price.

Today I found a nice used one at my LGS - $199.95 + tax. Impulse control went out the window. It now resides in my safe. The serial number is earlier. Than my first and it has the removable front sight, which changed to a fixed sight in later production.

Moral of the story is: if you wait and search long enough, one will be found at the price you are willing to pay. Now I need the time to go shoot. ..
Old 08-07-2013, 08:55 PM
22 Matt
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have a standard and a target model. I shoot the target a lot more, because I like the longer sight radius and the adjustable sights. They have both been very reliable. A few years ago, the magazines could be had for about $10 each, so I have 15 of them.

I also have a Duramatic. It's an ok plinker, but I like the Colt a lot better. Here's some comparisons.

Old 08-09-2013, 09:29 AM
dana.thomas

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks, Arcticap, for the additional information from your Colt Engineer friend and thanks to 22 Matt for the great pictures of guns of particular interest to me. My interest started with the Woodsman line and this looks like a progression from that design. With the Woodsman, the barrel remains in the frame after the slide is removed. These guns look like the barrel might be removed for field strip? And what is that red dot business at the back of the slide? What sort of price should I pay for guns like pictured by 22 Matt? They would be less than the $1000 for a similar condition Woodsman, no? Dana Thomas
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2013, 09:55 AM
jon p
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Wink 101 duramatic

i had a mint with extra mag box and all papers, loved the gun,6.5", but it shot like a shotgun, i never could get even a decent group! my 3" phoenix was a lot more accurate at the same distance, now that is just sad. i just traded it off on a new buckmark 6.5" SS camper. the LGS was excited to get the H/S, it really was more of a collector item than a shooter. i do not collect i SHOOT, and if a gun is not accurate it goes bye bye!
Old 08-09-2013, 11:59 AM
'ol shooter
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (127)
Should have had a good look at the crown on the Hi Standard, 90% of the problem. The red dot is the is the rear end of the striker, and it protrudes when cocked.
Old 08-10-2013, 03:42 AM
arcticap

TPC Rating: 
100% (60)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dana.thomas View Post
Thanks, Arcticap, for the additional information from your Colt Engineer friend and thanks to 22 Matt for the great pictures of guns of particular interest to me. My interest started with the Woodsman line and this looks like a progression from that design. With the Woodsman, the barrel remains in the frame after the slide is removed. These guns look like the barrel might be removed for field strip? And what is that red dot business at the back of the slide? What sort of price should I pay for guns like pictured by 22 Matt? They would be less than the $1000 for a similar condition Woodsman, no? Dana Thomas
Yes, the barrels remove for field strip with the Colt barrel attached by a simple hex head bolt.
The prices of the Colts are generally between $300 - $500 for a NIB.
The Duramatic values are based on the condition of the gun, box & barrel length.
Their prices are in the range of $250 - $400.

About the Colt striker, it's powered by quite a strong spring which really crushes the primers well and reduces any chance of misfires from a light strike. Yet their trigger pull weight can surprisingly be fairly light and pleasant.
The ends of the strikers in the photos above show them to be in the cocked position. When they're fired the strikers move forward to where they're no longer flush with the back of the slide. So the red dot being in the easy to observe flush position indicates that the gun is cocked and ready to fire.

Last edited by arcticap; 08-10-2013 at 04:01 AM.
Old 08-13-2013, 12:07 AM
bills
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
nice looking pistol!
Old 09-04-2013, 11:24 PM
docohm

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Any of you guys with all those extra mags want to sell a few?
I'm looking to buy a good Colt Cadet, not NIB but in good working condition. Has a little rust or something showing on the back of the slide but not bad.
Any idea what it would be worth? I'm thinking in the $200 range. Comes with the box, book and 2 mags.
But I need a total of 5 mags to shoot the steel challenge and can't find mags anywhere for less than $60 each! ouch!
Old 09-06-2013, 01:38 AM
arcticap

TPC Rating: 
100% (60)
I've heard that the Beretta Neos [stainless] magazines will fit the Cadet/Target .22 and they can be found at CTD for about ~$21.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/25776

Midway is out of stock until December but Beretta also sells them for $25.

http://www.berettausa.com/products/m...rd-neos/jmu22/

If it has a 4 inch barrel then it could easily be worth $250, and a 6 inch Target model up to $300 or more based on condition.
And if the rust is only minor freckling then each could be worth an additional $50 more.
I guess that in the end it's all about haggling and how much the seller wants for it.

Last edited by arcticap; 09-06-2013 at 01:49 AM.
Old 09-06-2013, 10:50 AM
RonJon
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by arcticap View Post
I've heard that the Beretta Neos [stainless] magazines will fit the Cadet/Target .22 and they can be found at CTD for about ~$21.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/25776

That sounds great... Until you check the adder for shipping plus another adder for handling!
Old 01-11-2014, 10:33 AM
topol
US Marines Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Scoped Cadet

C:\Users\Owner\Pictures\2012-08-07 New windows two\2014-01-11 cadet target with scope\cadet target with scope 001.JPG
Old 01-11-2014, 11:22 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
This has been an interesting thread for me with great pictures! The first pistol I ever bought was a new High Standard Duramatic back in 1964. It shot decent and never missed a beat. It's long since gone, and I wouldn't mind picking up a nice Colt Cadet if I ever happen onto one at a decent price, just because it so closely resembles the Duramatic.
Old 01-12-2014, 12:02 AM
FXTINTX

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Colt cadet was my first pistol.... But not for long

Bought one new a long time ago right when they came out....

I was in love with it, until I tried to shoot it...

It was an early one and it had "cadet" on it...

Magazine after magazine produced jams of all sorts,

Mostly feeding issues but some extraction issues also.

I returned it to Colt and they had shut down production of them for some reason and said they couldn't fix mine, nor could they replace it. All they offered was to allow a refund to the gun dealer where I got it.

I bought a browning buck mark camper and it did ok for me for the next 13 years... Till I got bored with it not being super accurate...

Glad that so many have a positive experience with these cadets, mine unfortunately wasn't....

I remember paying only $208 for it out the door, the buckmark was $215....
Old 01-27-2014, 07:02 PM
boddah4

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
This was my first gun purchase as well, back in 1994 or 1995. I believe I paid $225. I had problems with jams for a while but had it worked on and now runs flawlessly. I even used it to pass my CPL class two falls ago.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2
Old 03-05-2018, 01:20 AM
lorraine1

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
cadet

if you have a 1994 colt catalog,it has the cadet in it,and says it was designed after the colt woodsman, not bereta and not high standard