40XB and 40XR Sporter Database... - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-08-2013, 11:08 AM
AJK 547

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Remington 40XB and 40XR Sporter Database Project ...

As some of our Remmy Nation members know, I've taken it on myself to create a database of information on the 40XB Sporter/Repeater and the 40XR Sporter (single shot) models. I feel this is an important undertaking since it seems the Remingtion CS didn't keep detailed records of these special order rifles. What I have been told is that the original 'special orders' were not digitized for posterity, so any recollection that we can gleen from the current Rem. CS members (and former Rem. CS employees) will be critical in piecing together information as to stock style, checkering changes, finish patina, DoM, Serial Number, etc.

To date, I have contacted many of our members directly through PM, and they have graciously shared this information with me. I personally say 'Thank You' for sharing your information with me for this long term project...

One important aspect for this data collection is the data being collected (and expanded upon) will play a very important part in determing the 'originality' and 'authenticity' of these rifles that surface on the market in the future. With the prices that these rifles command currently, and with the high probability that these rifles will increase in value in the future, you can see where information like this can be extremely important!!!

So, if any of our Remmy Nation members feel comfortable with supplying information like s/n (or even partial s/n info.), stock style, finish, checkering style, any unique options, etc. and most importantly excellent and detailed pics that would be very much appreciated.

*** All information that I collect from our members (on their 40XB and 40XR Sporter style rifles) will be kept in the strictest confidentiality and not shared with others!!!

You can PM anytime and I'll respond to your questions privately or we can discuss here within this Thread!

Regards,

Art Kastl

Last edited by AJK 547; 02-12-2014 at 01:21 PM.
Old 03-14-2013, 10:13 PM
fivetwo

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
collector seeks the "real deal"

i would like to add a 40xb target rifle to my collection, primarily as a collector's item, but am confused on what has the most value..
is a government owned 40x worth as much or more than a non-government rifle,
and how can you tell whether a serial number on the bolt is the real deal?
Old 03-14-2013, 10:54 PM
Roger T
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Art, I hope this works out for you. It would be interesting down the road to see what the "numbers" end up like. I mean who knows ..if everyone keeps converting the SS's to repeaters that 40XR may be UP THERE someday . LOL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2013, 06:07 PM
fivethree

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
is this a sporter?

ran across a rifle that appears to be a remington sporter xr with a monte carlo stock
the serial number is 055158 R. does this make sense?
the marking on the receiver also says remington 40-X without an R.
Old 05-10-2013, 11:04 AM
fivethree

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
is this a real 40x?

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=340814908
Old 05-18-2013, 11:51 PM
BobSc
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Sure looks like the real deal. Correct stock configuration, action and barrel markings, bottom metal looks okay. I'd say it's what it says it is.

Bob
Old 05-19-2013, 03:49 PM
MN22LRFan
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Real ?

You better check the topic a few lines down, 'Is this a real 40X ?', under the Model 37/40X header. Consensus is that the stock is from a 700 varmint style and the action is a 40-X R single shot, with a 722 bolt.
Old 07-29-2013, 01:25 AM
horseman2
Law Enforcement Officer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Looks similar to one: Serial # 0462XX R

Last edited by horseman2; 10-01-2014 at 03:02 PM.
Old 08-06-2013, 12:57 PM
MN22LRFan

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
40-XR grade II .22LR

Here are some images and information about my 40-XR sporter grade II. Barrel date of Jan 1995, , serial # 0567XXR, has many options and finish not usually seen. New in sleeve with order form and other documentation. No cost options: barrel length 23"; barrel contour medium (.65), and no fore-end contrasting tip. Extra cost options: matte metal finish; wood grade extra fancy French walnut; hand-rubbed oil finish; gold oval with 3 initials; 4th initial; straight comb with cheekpiece; shadow line on cheekpiece; 22lpi checkering point pattern with ribbon; skeleton grip cap with no checkering; skeleton buttplate with matching checkering; inletted two screw sling swivels; length of pull to 14", and Warne Premier bases. Smithed and stock made by John Remington, and signed in the barrel channel.

Last edited by MN22LRFan; 02-15-2014 at 02:21 PM.
Old 09-27-2013, 12:14 AM
horseman2
Law Enforcement Officer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

This rifle started out as a barreled action with a 24" barrel (which I also received in the purchase) however it looks like there are some "vice jaw marks on that barrel. Serial # 0565XX R. Currently wearing a Shilen 20" barrel in a MacMillan Stock. I am the fourth owner, and 2 or 3 had the Remington bolt handle removed and a longer handle installed with a larger ball. It will probably go to a gunsmith for a tune up and check over after the next match and before the October tryst.
Every time I talk with the previous owners I learn something more.

The rifle was originally bought as a barreled action. The shorter Shilen barrel was added to make weight.
The DoM stamp on the barrel is "OQ" suggesting July 1978.

Last edited by horseman2; 10-01-2014 at 03:08 PM. Reason: Added info
Old 02-12-2014, 10:03 AM
AJK 547

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Serial Number and possible Production Runs for Sporters

1) From what I have uncovered (to date), the serial nbr. and DoM have only a very loose correlation. I've found out there is somewhat of an ascending s/n and DoM dating, but again there are many, many exceptions. This is explained in more detail below:

(based on data collected to date for the 40XB/40XR Sporter database):

a) The Rem. CS cut the 40X recvrs. from stock and then 'roll stamped' the serial # and MODEL 40-X into the recvrs. Nothing else during initial recvr. manufacturing was placed on the recvrs at this time. The Remington logo, registered trademark, 22 LONG RIFLE were later 'etched' into the recvr. to minimize metal 'stress'. Now, for the 40XR BR models, the serial # and MODEL 40-X seems to have been 'etched' vs. roll stamped, but additional studies need to confirm. The 'High Grades' are again a completely different animal for analysis in this regard.

b) After initial recvr. creation, the recvrs. where collected in a 'relative' serial # sequence and placed into bins, heavy canvas bags, etc. for storage until selection for use.

c) Next, after a sufficient # of customer orders were collected to warrant a 'production run', the CS would then select the bin/canvas bag with the lowest grouping of serial #'s and arrange in a metal tray for assembly. These were not necessarily arranged in serial # sequence. This is important to understand.

d) The CS gunsmith would select a recvr. from the infamous 'tray' but again, wasn't required to select in ascending # order... and proceed with polishing, bluing, etching, etc. for assembly. This is also important to understand.

e) Ex. of above: Hugh variations in serial # to DoM can be seen everywhere. For example, my own 40XB 'F' Grade has a DoM of 'July, 1975' and a 40044B s/n, but I have documented Sporter s/n's in the 42XXXB range that have late 1971 DoM !!! You can see my point.

The more I study and record info. on these rifles (and discuss with the 'retired' Rem. CS employees who made these great rifles), the more I realize anything was possible coming out of the CS. This is not a criticism, this is only becoming a fact to me!

2) Also of interesting note, there seems to be 'blocks of serial #'s' (especially for the Repeaters) based on the data that is coming in. What I'm getting at is there appears to be distinct production runs for these rifles, which makes sense based on my knowledge that the Rem. Custom Shop will collect 'orders' for their rifles and when they get a sufficient number of rifles to produce, of a given model, they would then produce a run ... Continued data collection should shed additional light on this topic.

Once again, there are a few exceptions to the production run theory, but overall I can see definite blocks of production runs for these rifles.

Stay tuned !!!

Last edited by AJK 547; 02-17-2014 at 10:22 PM.
Old 04-24-2014, 12:44 AM
JudgeColt
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have submitted an email with specifics on my 40XB Sporter repeater for the survey.
Old 04-24-2014, 08:51 AM
AJK 547

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JudgeColt View Post
I have submitted an email with specifics on my 40XB Sporter repeater for the survey.
Judge' - many, many thanks on submitting the detailed data! It is now safely stored away.

I've sent you an email you need to review if you would.

Art
Old 07-03-2014, 05:42 PM
willymakit

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
To the best knowledge, were there ever true left hand 40X repeaters?
Thank you,
willy
Old 07-03-2014, 10:10 PM
JohnOhio

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by willymakit View Post
To the best knowledge, were there ever true left hand 40X repeaters?
Thank you,
willy
I have never seen one but it wouldn't surprise me if they didn't exist. I know from factory literature that they would make the stock with a left or right cheekpiece. You might get a better response if you go to the 37-40x sub forum.