How do you rate the Ruger 10/22T barrel? - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 02-13-2013, 04:29 PM
tacotime

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
How do you rate the Ruger 10/22T barrel?

Just wondering how the Ruger factory 10/22T .920 hammer forged barrel compares to the usual aftermarket barrels? Anyone have any real side by side experience with these against the mid level or top barrels?
Old 02-13-2013, 04:33 PM
Chaser
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (74)
Send a message via AIM to Chaser
1 to 10 as far as Purdy goes it's a 10...
as far as accuracy goes it's a 7...GM being a 8-9...KID being a 10...

I saved mine just cuzz it's Purdy...someday it will go to Que or CPC for a re-chamber...then it will be a solid 9.

Hope that helps...

Last edited by Chaser; 02-13-2013 at 04:36 PM.
Old 02-13-2013, 05:58 PM
Gordon Shumway
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My first thought was how would anyone on here know, as that seems to be the first thing that gets changed without any apparent regard for how it shoots.

How many threads on here do we see about people asking what barrel to get before they even have a 10/22 in hand.

And then of course there is Chaser, who actually shot his and determined it could be pretty good with some chamber work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2013, 06:05 PM
Gary C
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
I haven't compared it to an aftermarket barrel, but after a PC Trigger kit, and then eventually rework by Brimstone, I was able to consistently get under 1 MOA at 50 yards out of mine. The barrel was not touched. Of course, that was bench rested, using a high powered scope and Wolf MT or better ammo.

If I still had that rifle, I would probably send it out for re-chambering and a new crown.

Gary
Old 02-13-2013, 06:19 PM
Chaser

TPC Rating: 
100% (74)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Shumway View Post
And then of course there is Chaser, who actually shot his and determined it could be pretty good with some chamber work.
Yupp...shot it a BUNCH back in the days when I only had a few 10/tweekie2's...in fact the last time it got taken on a "outing" before it got retired to safe queen statis was Prairie Doggin'...I got tired of long range red mist with the centerfires and decided to belly crawl up on a mound..I got within about 50 yds. and worked across 10 P. Dogs on the same mound..only missed once and that was a wind check shot that went wide...the next 10 were direct one shot flops..BUT, with a KID barreled rig I coulda chose (and called) which eye ball to whack them in.
Old 02-13-2013, 08:07 PM
yeti man
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
The factory barrel I have is not the regular 10/22 T, but a 16" hammer forged like the one on the Ruger 'tactical' that comes in a Hogue OM.

Mine is a Talo USA Shooting Team model built on the Ruger 1230 Tactical action. It apears to be crowned a bit differently than a 10/22T, and seems to be crowned just like my Kidd barrels.

I have shot it side by side with my Kidd Classic (all Kidd with a 16.5 bull barrel in a Hogue stock) both using the same Harris bipod shooting Wolf Match Extra ammo.

Shooting 10 shot groups at 50 yards I can do under .3" groups pretty cosistantly with the Kidd (either of my Kidd barreled guns, both with 16.5" bulls). The Ruger will shoot under .5" all day long, and maybe .3" now and then (more luck than anything when it does). It is respectable, but if money or life were on the line I would want the Kidd.

The reason I bought it is that the stock (made by Altomont) fits me to a Tee and is awesome even if the stripe thing is pretty ugly.
I also got a pretty good deal on it because the bolt had a metal burr from the firing pin stop hole that was making the bolt drag and the LGS owner decided to give me a deal instead of tearing it down to see what the issue was.

I have contacted Que about reworking the chamber on it, but it measured 16.12" and couldn't be modified without coming up short.
Old 02-13-2013, 08:45 PM
Passinby

TPC Rating: 
99% (69)
Send a message via Yahoo to Passinby
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Shumway View Post
My first thought was how would anyone on here know, as that seems to be the first thing that gets changed without any apparent regard for how it shoots.

How many threads on here do we see about people asking what barrel to get before they even have a 10/22 in hand.

[email protected] has a subspecialty in accurizing these barrels, and he's an original sponsor.

Lots of us have owned and modified these barrels. Chaser is right, they are only slightly better than the standard barrels out of the box.

Yup, I've had a few as well. They make beautiful customs.

Old 02-14-2013, 10:09 AM
tacotime

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
What am I missing there with those hollowed out barrels? Looks like they were bored out to 20 gauge!
Old 02-14-2013, 10:17 AM
PGT

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
I was just about to ask the same. ????
Old 02-14-2013, 10:28 AM
Chaser

TPC Rating: 
100% (74)
That's Randy's (CPC) thang...and whatta great thang...BackBore

read up... http://community-2.webtv.net/RandyAt...ork/index.html
Old 02-14-2013, 10:30 AM
PGT

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
a webtv link? Whoa. Reminds me of 1999....
Old 02-14-2013, 10:48 AM
COBrien
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary C View Post
I haven't compared it to an aftermarket barrel, but after a PC Trigger kit, and then eventually rework by Brimstone, I was able to consistently get under 1 MOA at 50 yards out of mine. The barrel was not touched. Of course, that was bench rested, using a high powered scope and Wolf MT or better ammo.

If I still had that rifle, I would probably send it out for re-chambering and a new crown.

Gary
1/2" at 50? Not bad.
Old 02-14-2013, 10:49 AM
Chaser

TPC Rating: 
100% (74)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGT View Post
a webtv link? Whoa. Reminds me of 1999....
Randy is a great guy...ol' school.
Old 02-14-2013, 02:16 PM
tacotime

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Nice. If I ever get good enough to shoot near that level, I might just do it.

Sent from my IBM 286 XT with 2MB Ram/Dual Floppies
Old 02-14-2013, 04:22 PM
Kestral

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have a Talo USA Shooting Team model in SS that I had Randy at CPC re-work that shoots fantastic as a matter of fact it is one of my best shooters. The barrel is tapered down to about a .720 with a CPC crown and chamber. It shoots much better then stock and the ballance of this gun is just great. If you want to make your Ruger "T" to shoot send it to Randy at CPC and by the way it will look great as well.