Spiegel Sticky - Page 4 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-29-2015, 11:57 PM
yatzee982
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
95% (15)

S45B rifle with Spiegal Scope. No medallion but I like it just the same... it doesnt look like the action has been out of the stock for years if ever.

Last edited by yatzee982; 10-12-2015 at 05:19 AM.
Old 11-09-2015, 10:26 AM
foxfirejem
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
Are there any close, or approximate, production numbers for the 42M produced for Spiegel? I'm referring to ones that do not have an "S" prefix to the model number but are D&T'ed as the Spiegels are and have no medalion, or evidence of one ever being on them?

Thanks,
James

Last edited by foxfirejem; 11-09-2015 at 10:29 AM.
Old 11-11-2015, 12:21 AM
yatzee982

TPC Rating: 
95% (15)
S51M I picked up from Williams Gunsight Corp. The Spiegal S7M4 scope was acquired from Ebay and then I had to rebuild it.

Last edited by yatzee982; 03-20-2016 at 02:58 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2016, 02:10 PM
bone

TPC Rating: 
100% (16)
S46M it is well used and shows some age. It is wearing a 7C8 scope that one our gracious members here pasted along to me.

Old 03-20-2016, 03:05 PM
yatzee982

TPC Rating: 
95% (15)
M46B I picked up that is in a little rough shape. It will need some cleaning and adjusting before its serviceable. It did come with the stag head nameplate though.

Old 10-21-2016, 12:59 PM
Dr. Marneaus

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Just picked up this S26C single shot. $40. The S102 had random screws for elevation and for mounting. I switched on a complete S102 I had, but for some reason I cant get the mounting screw to work right, so I'm running a random screw with no windage lock. Missing the fixed swivels, but otherwise it's complete.

Old 10-27-2016, 01:23 PM
Dr. Marneaus

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
A few better pics of my S26C. Looks like its from the 1938 lineup, given the features it has. Its currently missing the sight hood, name plate, and swivels.

Old 01-05-2017, 09:57 PM
yatzee982

TPC Rating: 
95% (15)
S42B Spiegal rifle with S7-M4 scope in good condition. Has trapdoor buttplate and adjustable trigger.

Old 09-11-2018, 09:47 PM
toyboy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
a while ago i picked up a spiegel 46BS mossberg.i've never heard of this specific model.not in the best of shape but i payed very little for it.i had to change the bolt handle as is was literally a hardware bolt in there.it still needs some tweaking from light primer strikes.

anyone ever heard of a 46BS?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CIMG4743.jpg (361.9 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg CIMG4744.jpg (368.9 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg CIMG4748.jpg (429.3 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg CIMG4750.jpg (508.8 KB, 6 views)
Old 12-10-2018, 08:32 PM
Paw-Paw Plinker
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Some information on the Model 46 BS you have...

Good Evening, Mr. ToyBoy,

Well, I have not heard of the 46 Series with a 'BS' suffix. I can only guess, that following Mossberg's somewhat
flexible procedures for marking their rifles, this is a Model 46 B with the Spiegel 'S' indicator applied after the
model designation. Perhaps it was a new person on the line, no straightforward Work Instructions, or something,
that caused them to stamp the Spiegel 'S' after the '46 B'.

Just my best guess, and I'm sure some of the RKI's will visit and supply further information.

That said, I did look up the 46 B models in some of my reference books.

The Havlin's book, "Mossberg: More Gun for the Money", we look at Section IV "Growth of the Company",
possibly 1936 time to the entry of the company into World War II manufacturing. In pages 88 through 94, there
is some Model 46 family information, but nothing for the "46 BS".

Also, it is mentioned that this period started the use of the Master Action short bolt, which you have in your rifle.
And, note that you do not have the receiver cut-out on the right side for clearance for the bolt dust cover. I
suspect your bolt does not have two D & T'd holes for the dust cover screws on its right side.

After World War II, it seems production started up by 1947-48 on the new 100 Series of rifles, which post-date
your rifle's markings and lineage.

Checking my Component Parts List booklets, I find no mention of that 'BS' suffix. But, there is no mention
whatsoever of any rifles that were bound for the Spiegel catalog and the Spiegel stores. I seem to remember
there is a member of our forum with an extensive collection of store catalogs. Perhaps he/she may provide
some insight if asked.

Now searching through my folder of Ephemera and Dealer mailings, I find a pamphlet with a section titled
"1938's Leaders". There is mentioned a Model 46 BT with information indicating it is a Model 46 B fitted with
a 26 inch heavy target barrel (the capital T indicating 'Target' perhaps ?), and a target stock in the manner of the
Model 35B and the 44B.

Next, I find a Price Guide and Rifle Listing from 1939, it is titled "20th Anniversary". And, there is no listing
for the Model 46 BS. I won't mention the prices listed, as it will cause grown men to whimper and possibly tear-up...

Next, I find a Price List and Rifles Catalog/Pamphlet dated 10 February 1940. Again, no listing for a Model
46 BS. And, again, I won't mention the prices.

I do hope this information is of some use to you. Hopefully, this will jump-start this thread again. There are
some forum members with extensive historical knowledge. Perhaps no one has seen this thread in the Mossberg
Spiegel Sticky. I shall post a note in the main forum threads.

Cheers and Merry Christmas to you and the family.

(I am having wwaaayyyyyy too much fun with my Mossies )
Old 12-25-2018, 11:01 AM
toyboy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
thanks very much for the reply.as you can see in the pic of the bolt i replaced the
bolt lever with a stamped sheet metal one but it gave me light primer strikes so i put an older handle on it.if you'd like pics of the bolt or whatever let me know.
Old 01-29-2019, 09:31 AM
bone

TPC Rating: 
100% (16)
S46B put back together from parts.

Old 05-08-2019, 07:20 PM
gunsisme
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Beautiful rifles
Old 10-14-2019, 08:23 PM
NHcollector

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paw-Paw Plinker View Post
Good Evening, Mr. ToyBoy,

Well, I have not heard of the 46 Series with a 'BS' suffix. I can only guess, that following Mossberg's somewhat
flexible procedures for marking their rifles, this is a Model 46 B with the Spiegel 'S' indicator applied after the
model designation. Perhaps it was a new person on the line, no straightforward Work Instructions, or something,
that caused them to stamp the Spiegel 'S' after the '46 B'.

Just my best guess, and I'm sure some of the RKI's will visit and supply further information.

That said, I did look up the 46 B models in some of my reference books.

The Havlin's book, "Mossberg: More Gun for the Money", we look at Section IV "Growth of the Company",
possibly 1936 time to the entry of the company into World War II manufacturing. In pages 88 through 94, there
is some Model 46 family information, but nothing for the "46 BS".

Also, it is mentioned that this period started the use of the Master Action short bolt, which you have in your rifle.
And, note that you do not have the receiver cut-out on the right side for clearance for the bolt dust cover. I
suspect your bolt does not have two D & T'd holes for the dust cover screws on its right side.

After World War II, it seems production started up by 1947-48 on the new 100 Series of rifles, which post-date
your rifle's markings and lineage.

Checking my Component Parts List booklets, I find no mention of that 'BS' suffix. But, there is no mention
whatsoever of any rifles that were bound for the Spiegel catalog and the Spiegel stores. I seem to remember
there is a member of our forum with an extensive collection of store catalogs. Perhaps he/she may provide
some insight if asked.

Now searching through my folder of Ephemera and Dealer mailings, I find a pamphlet with a section titled
"1938's Leaders". There is mentioned a Model 46 BT with information indicating it is a Model 46 B fitted with
a 26 inch heavy target barrel (the capital T indicating 'Target' perhaps ?), and a target stock in the manner of the
Model 35B and the 44B.

Next, I find a Price Guide and Rifle Listing from 1939, it is titled "20th Anniversary". And, there is no listing
for the Model 46 BS. I won't mention the prices listed, as it will cause grown men to whimper and possibly tear-up...

Next, I find a Price List and Rifles Catalog/Pamphlet dated 10 February 1940. Again, no listing for a Model
46 BS. And, again, I won't mention the prices.

I do hope this information is of some use to you. Hopefully, this will jump-start this thread again. There are
some forum members with extensive historical knowledge. Perhaps no one has seen this thread in the Mossberg
Spiegel Sticky. I shall post a note in the main forum threads.

Cheers and Merry Christmas to you and the family.
Thought I'd jump in here with some talk about the Model 46BS rifle I bought at a local gun shop a month or so ago. I paid $160 for it, at the time I didn't know anything about the Speigle rifles, it just seemed like a pretty nice old .22 for the price. It's in pretty good shape, blueing hasn't gone all brown. It was missing the front sight hood and the mounting screws for the No. 4 peep sight, but I ordered those and installed them today. Mine has the plaque on the pistol grip, the red stag with the name S G Goville, or possibly Coville, stamped on it. There is no cheekpiece, it has a steel buttplate with the storage compartment, though it doesn't appear that there was ever anything in it. It has holes drilled for scope mounting blocks, those have plug screws in them and it doesn't look as if a scope was ever mounted. The action needs a good cleaning. The stock is nice though there is a chip of wood missing at the bottom of the buttplate. Still, for about $190 all in with the replacement parts it's a good older rifle.

Did Mossberg engrave the names of the buyers on that plate or was that done by the buyer post purchase?

I also have a Model 144, no letters, that I bought at another local shop. It was behind the counter, hadn't made it to the racks, at $200 it was a no-brainer, it looks mint, virtually perfect. I live in a fairly rural area of New Hampshire, though there is money around here, people come for the lakes. Old folks are dying off, the kids/widows sell the guns. I'm in my 70s, won't be that long before time catches up with me too, but in the meantime I'm still a buyer. And I still drive ya know!
Old Yesterday, 12:17 AM
Bigdog357

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I picked up this little gem S46B for the princely sum of $97, had 80 years worth of rust and dirt on it. The rust was just surface rust and cleaned right off with no damage to the bluing. Stock has a few scuffs and scratches, all in all not bad. I think the only things missing are the Peep aperture and the front sight hood. I doubt this leather sling is original, I think they were cloth, but I do like this sling on it. Can anyone tell me the actual value of this gun, it is apparent to me that the shop had no idea the value of this piece. I have not had a chance to check the accuracy but it does shoot and eject fine and the bore is perfect.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20191112_190840.jpg (586.2 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg 20191112_190933.jpg (585.8 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg 20191112_191003.jpg (544.7 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg 20191112_191145.jpg (531.9 KB, 1 views)