Old 02-18-2013, 12:48 AM
kevinbear
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Quite the rig, is it 5mm?
Old 02-18-2013, 01:28 AM
Arkypoppa
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinbear View Post
Quite the rig, is it 5mm?
What can it kill?
Old 02-18-2013, 07:42 AM
kevinbear

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkypoppa View Post
What can it kill?
Some folks say anything but I draw the line at Cape buffalo.

Never seen one before, ask the owner Technical Dir.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2013, 11:05 AM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Time for payback on your heinysnorting Steve TD....request a slingshot forum.
Old 02-18-2013, 01:30 PM
REM-UMC

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Sure it wouldn't be much different then the 1000th guy that keeps posting a picture of his 40X that looks just like the ones before it, but I thought this was a post a picture of your 5mm thread? Where they at?
Old 02-18-2013, 02:53 PM
Steve in IN

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by REM-UMC View Post
... thought this was a post a picture of your 5mm thread? Where they at?
I guess we've seen them all. About 10 of them?
I seriously would have thought that 5MM would own one.
Old 02-18-2013, 06:12 PM
5MM

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
The last Cape buffalo I had to eat, tasted like chicken. SO from now on its chicken strips with ranch dressing for a dipping sauce.
Old 02-18-2013, 07:17 PM
kevinbear

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I asked this question earlier but no one answered,what's the function of that plate on the left side of the action of 591-592 remingtons?
Old 02-18-2013, 07:58 PM
Al the Infidel

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinbear View Post
I asked this question earlier but no one answered,what's the function of that plate on the left side of the action of 591-592 remingtons?
Extracted from the 5MM Forum~

The 591/592 have a 2 stage extraction/ejection system.

There is a primary extractor/ejector under a cover on the off side from the ejection port. The part you have pictured is the secondary extractor that catched the rim of the cartridge only after it has been pulled part way out of the chamber.

A leaf spring stacked into a groove in the bolt head catches the primary extractor that rests in a notch in the chamber. This system allows an unbroken support ring around the cartridge head as the primary extractor rests in the notch when the bolt is in battary. As the bolt is opened, it is "cammed" rearward W/the primary extractor pulling the cartridge out of the chamber. This is the "primary extraction".

As the bolt moves rearward, the secondary extractor (that you have pictured above) rides down off the ramp on the barrel where it was resting & catches the rim of the cartridge. As the bolt continues back W/the secondary extractor holding/pulling it the case from the chamber, the primary extractor, its job now done, snaps back forward as the case clears the breech. A spring on the primary extractor now acts as an "ejector" snapping the case from the grip of the secondary extractor & throwing it clear of the receiver.

I really is an ingeniuous sytem. I had to re-do the leaf spring when I converted to the Schroeder CF bolt head as I had ground too much from the spring & it would not allow proper function of the primary extractor/ejector.

I notice that the recall letter was dated September 1970 so it would only apply to the early runs of the rifles. Mine was built in '71 so it does not apply.

Check your codes, the month of manufacture seems to have been June of '70 so it could well be that your rifle was one of the affected.

Observe the action of the primary extractor as you slowly pull the bolt reaward. You should see the primary extractor moving away from the breech leaving a square notch in the far side of the breech. Watch as it snaps back forward when the bolt nears the rear limit of travel. It should nest even W/the rim recess in the rear of the chamber forming a smooth ring where the rim of the cartridge rests..
Old 02-18-2013, 08:50 PM
joejo

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
basically the plate keeps those extractor parts from flying out when you fire the gun.
Old 02-18-2013, 10:44 PM
HUSHKABOOM

TPC Rating: 
100% (43)
Cover is there to prevent gas and or parts from blowing out the left side of reciever if a case ruptures. Many rifles have a hole drilled in the reciever to vent gasses if a case ruptures.
http://5mmforums.com/forums/index.ph...uptured-cases/
Old 02-18-2013, 10:49 PM
wingbone

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al the Infidel View Post
Extracted from the 5MM Forum~

The 591/592 have a 2 stage extraction/ejection system.

There is a primary extractor/ejector under a cover on the off side from the ejection port. The part you have pictured is the secondary extractor that catched the rim of the cartridge only after it has been pulled part way out of the chamber.

A leaf spring stacked into a groove in the bolt head catches the primary extractor that rests in a notch in the chamber. This system allows an unbroken support ring around the cartridge head as the primary extractor rests in the notch when the bolt is in battary. As the bolt is opened, it is "cammed" rearward W/the primary extractor pulling the cartridge out of the chamber. This is the "primary extraction".

As the bolt moves rearward, the secondary extractor (that you have pictured above) rides down off the ramp on the barrel where it was resting & catches the rim of the cartridge. As the bolt continues back W/the secondary extractor holding/pulling it the case from the chamber, the primary extractor, its job now done, snaps back forward as the case clears the breech. A spring on the primary extractor now acts as an "ejector" snapping the case from the grip of the secondary extractor & throwing it clear of the receiver.

I really is an ingeniuous sytem. I had to re-do the leaf spring when I converted to the Schroeder CF bolt head as I had ground too much from the spring & it would not allow proper function of the primary extractor/ejector.

I notice that the recall letter was dated September 1970 so it would only apply to the early runs of the rifles. Mine was built in '71 so it does not apply.

Check your codes, the month of manufacture seems to have been June of '70 so it could well be that your rifle was one of the affected.

Observe the action of the primary extractor as you slowly pull the bolt reaward. You should see the primary extractor moving away from the breech leaving a square notch in the far side of the breech. Watch as it snaps back forward when the bolt nears the rear limit of travel. It should nest even W/the rim recess in the rear of the chamber forming a smooth ring where the rim of the cartridge rests..
Is the primary extractor moved initially by the leaf spring(actually the other end of secondary extractor behind the bolt?) grabbing in the notch?
Old 02-19-2013, 12:26 AM
Al the Infidel

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingbone View Post
Is the primary extractor moved initially by the leaf spring(actually the other end of secondary extractor behind the bolt?) grabbing in the notch?
I'm not that familiar of the workings of the nomenclature of the thing. I'm still trying to make the walnut stock enviable.
Old 02-19-2013, 12:34 AM
kevinbear

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Interesting that the 580's and 581's don't have the plate, higher pressure the 5mm cartridge? Actually none of the 22's have the plate including the 540-541's, what is the operating pressure of the 5mm?
Old 02-19-2013, 01:50 AM
HUSHKABOOM

TPC Rating: 
100% (43)
The primary extractor and secondary are independent in operation. The 591-592 are the only guns in the series that use the left side primary extractor. All the others have the standard setup found on most rimfire bolt heads.
http://www.gunpartscorp.com/Manufact...591M-39545.htm