Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 12-21-2014, 04:59 PM
snaffle
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

I've owned a new 1712 for eight weeks now, wonderful accuracy, nice fit and finish, sucky ejection. Bounces empties off of the scope in a weak, **** poor sort of way. As hellbender has said, two years ago," inexcusable". I'm working my way thru this thread.

Last edited by snaffle; 12-22-2014 at 12:12 AM.
Old 04-21-2015, 07:58 PM
fourbore

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:

The tooling is in and ready to go. I have sent out a PDF form to customers who have already contacted me, so if you have not received one ( please check your email ), then send me an email to:

[email protected]

I will send you back a form with all the info you need.

I fully expect a wave of these to come in, so please have some patience as I work through the backlog.

Thanks.

Steve...
I dont see any reason to be grinding down the receiver. The extractor mod looks simple enough. I think these links should be part of this sticky post. An explanation of the service dept fix would also be nice. I have not found that yet.

Here is the Anschutz North America web site:

http://www.anschutznorthamerica.com/

The web page for SERVICE:

http://www.anschutznorthamerica.com/service.html

The pdf for FREE factory bolt repair:

http://www.anschutznorthamerica.com/...structions.pdf
Old 05-09-2015, 05:19 PM
torqueguy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks

I just wanted to thank Hellbender and Sophia for posting this. I was starting to have extraction problems in my beloved West German 1416. I always thought it was caused by a dirty chamber that was "gripping" the shell and after I scrubbed it out, it would always start ejecting fine, for about 10 shots but inevitably it would go back to needing a fingernail to pull out the spent case.
For the benefit of those trying this trick, the little black tab on my extractor measured .115". I filed it down to about .080 as recommended and it seems to work fine now. I had a couple shells that didn't eject and stayed in the receiver well but at least I didn't have to pry out the spent shell.
Thanks again!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2015, 05:21 AM
toxo

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by STR Original View Post
Thank you for posting this. I recently bought a 64 MPR and had the same problem. When I took it apart I noticed that someone had been filing on these parts already. It didn't look anything like yours. It actually looked very bad and they left burrs on the retainer. I cleaned up the burrs, and reassembled the bolt. I pushed the extractor and retainer forward once the retaining clip was back on the bolt. That made the ejection problem go away without filing on the rear part of the extractor's leg. thank you.
Same as this on my 1417 (14inch). Someone had already had a go but had filed the bottom of the leg at an angle. A couple of minutes squaring it up and a quick rub down and the problem was solved. Thanks guys.
Old 05-31-2016, 02:54 PM
Boerboel
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
It worked on my Anschutz Weatherby XXII.
Old 06-21-2016, 06:32 AM
david_root2000

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Worked on my new 1416 HB. Zero failures since. I thought of sending the bolt in, but Iwant to shoot it. I also stoned the sides of the extractor so it could travel in its slot. .215" between the tips before and after.

Brass goes forward, but always out.
Thank you
David

Sent from my SM-T900 using Tapatalk
Old 07-11-2016, 09:19 PM
Rod Blackburn
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My 2007 Anschutz ejects spent rounds flawlessly However my MPR leaves about one out of ten empties in the receiver.

I decided to try the fix mentioned in the first thread & removed .010 from the rear leg on the extractor & installed a new circular spring retainer. I am very pleased with the results. I fired about seventy rounds today & they all ejected fine.

Thank you for posting the information Sophia, it has made shooting my MPR a more enjoyable experience.
Old 10-24-2016, 07:03 AM
david_root2000

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Observations

I have noticed with my 1416 HB and MP R that Ejection is different with different magazines.

Yesterday in my MPR the shells were Flying out. I noticed this and had no magazine in the rifle. I was shooting sporter rifle Iron sights single loading. I do not have a single shot adapter and usually leave the magazine in the rifle.

I also noticed both eject differently with different magazines. They work better with the Wisnor (wisor) magazines than the factory one.

I wonder if the round in the magazine is lifting the empty for a different approach to the ejector. Last shell does eject different.

I took .010 off the extractor hook of the MP R and polished up both holder and extractor with some 320 grit on a flat surface. Basicly I took all the blueing off. It seems if the extractor and holder cannot move fore and aft freely, they do not work as well.

Now the shells FLY out with no magazine. They all eject with magazine in, but not as strong with less direction.

My single shot 64 MS ejects perfect. No magazine? I never touched the bolt. I also found bolts interchange between rifles with no difference in shooting or headspacing because when using CCI SV the bolt closes hard no matter which rifle or bolt is used.

Looking into this more.
Thanks for the sticky.
David

Last edited by david_root2000; 10-24-2016 at 07:07 AM.
Old 10-24-2016, 04:44 PM
kevin1

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourbore View Post
I dont see any reason to be grinding down the receiver. The extractor mod looks simple enough. I think these links should be part of this sticky post. An explanation of the service dept fix would also be nice. I have not found that yet.

Any reason why the repair on the wing style safely is different? I read
"Bolt's with "wing style" safety are not serviced. The entire rifle needs to be sent to the service center for repairs and subject to service labor fees."
Old 12-04-2016, 12:38 PM
dgeesaman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by allan harris View Post
I haven't seen any complaints about this issue in quite a while so perhaps the current models incorporate the ANA bolt modification? I'm curious to know if anyone on here has a 22LR bolt modified by ANA and if so, can you see where the changes have been made.
I have a new 1517 D that extracts poorly. I plan to send in the bolt sometime this winter when the shooting range is snowed in.

David
Old 12-08-2016, 09:52 AM
toxo

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourbore View Post

Is this service available in the UK?

I also have another point that no-one seems to be bringing up.

The extractor claw on my 1417 bolt is almost flush with the bolt face. There is free play enough enough so that I can pull it forward to have a 1 mil gap. I feel that if the claw was 1 mil longer it would solve this problem.

I did the filing down thing long ago and it worked a charm but as soon as there's any dirt to make the extraction slightly harder the claw fails.

I think I'm just gonna bash the rear end of the claw just a little in an effort to make it a tad longer and cut down on the free play.

I should add that all was well until recently and it cycles even unfired bullets except about one in five and trying to extract manually in the dark is a PITA
Old 12-08-2016, 10:35 AM
Innovative
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Take a closer look . . . .

This ejection problem would be very obvious if you could watch an empty shell casing (with time lapse photography) as the case tries to escape the ejection port. The fired case can't avoid crashing into the lower part of the ejection port, and from there it bounces back inside the rifle where it eventually sits.

If you own an Anschutz rifle like the 1700, take a close look at the rifle picture in my last post. Compare the lower edge of my modified ejection port to your rifle. The ejection port simply needs to be lowered until it is flush with the wood.

My rifle now ejects empties straight out whether you work the bolt quickly or very slow. There is a good link below that picture that explains the work required to solve the problem. Anschutz is well aware of the problem, but unfortunately, this is not a cost effective fix. Except for the ejection problem, this is a spectacular rifle. However, it was discontinued long ago, and nobody has any interest in solving this problem.

- Larry Willis
Old 12-08-2016, 11:00 PM
HJA8

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Larry - This problem is by no means confined to Anschutz rifles only. I've seen a number of brands which would not eject reliably.
While I'm sure your fix works admirably, I can't see too many Anschutz owners taking such drastic measures to solve the issue.
I've yet to see a bolt action 22 repeater on which the extractors couldn't be shaped to eject reliably.
A case in point is this fully optioned Cooper - I sacrificed a few retainers to get it sorted eventually - Well documented on the Cooper forum here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElOs3vFMx4o
Old 12-09-2016, 10:31 AM
Innovative
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Allan - After almost 50 years of gunsmithing, I've never seen any other rifle that defied ejection as much as the Anschutz 1700. Believe me, I wouldn't have gone to such lengths to make this rifle work, except that this rifle was a great shooter and it has a beautiful stock. I tried several different extractor designs before porting the receiver.

This is clearly the cure to this problem. A friend of mine has a Remington 541-S that would eject empties 10 feet out the side - no matter how slow the bolt was operated. It is obvious that the empties of the Anschutz 1700 were simply bouncing back into the rifle. I've owned several different Anschutz rifles (different models) that had no ejection problems at all.

This rifle had another weird problem. The trigger was located almost in the center of the trigger guard. I've never seen anything look so out of place. I had to also modify the trigger to relocate it rearward almost half an inch.
Old 12-09-2016, 01:57 PM
toxo

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
It seems I was right. I bashed the back end of the extractor claw to make it slightly longer and extend the distance the claw sticks out from the end of the boltface. I ran a file over the claw to maintain the proper shape and it's working like a charm. At last it's pinging even unfired bullets like it was always supposed to do.

For what it's worth, I believe this length thing has been the problem all along. If the claw can't reach over the rim it has no chance of extraction.