Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 06-26-2012, 01:31 PM
fullup3

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
First 10/22...LVT SS Barrel on the way!

Well, I ordered my first 10/22 this morning. I have toyed with the idea of getting a 10/22 for a while now. I am a huge Savage fan, and have completed a few custom builds of Savage centerfires. I really love the idea of being able to swap out barrels, and stocks at will on them. This intrigues me about the 10/22, but I have always said I would only really like one if it had a walnut stock, stainless barrel, and good trigger. (I love walnut stocks with stainless barrels) These three upgrades, along with the core price of a stock rifle would not be extremely budget friendly, and has kept me from getting one. Well, a couple of days ago I saw the LVT model with stainless barrel, walnut stained stock, and target trigger on Bud's and decided that it must have been made "especially for me"! I ordered one this morning. It looks like these are giving some good accuracy and getting nice reviews. Being a gun tinkerer myself, I am going to have a really hard time not doing anything to this rifle. What would all you 10/22 guys recommend to do to this gun besides just shoot it and enjoy.

also, I have a Savage MKII .22lr that is shooting really,really well, but took about 800 rounds before the groups came together. Do the ruger barrels seem to shoot their best from the start, or do they require a similar break in period?

many thanks
Old 06-26-2012, 03:01 PM
bullbill
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Your new LVT will have Ruger's Target trigger, which will be about 3.5 to 4.5 lb. Many of the serious shooters here think that can be improved upon. The bolt hold open mod and a new bolt buffer would be cheap mods recommended by many. Perhaps having your bolt worked over or a better extractor would be worth considering down the line.

Your LVT should shoot great out of the box. Posters here generally shoot 3/4 to 1/2 in groups @ 50 with the LVT. See if you can duplicate the Gunlbast review of 1/4 in @ 50. Be interesting to see how it compares to your Savages.

Would appreciate Pix and range reports as you shoot your LVT. THe 10/22 LVT sounds like it deserves more exposure. If it is as good claimed, I would label it a best buy in the 10/22 lineup
Old 06-27-2012, 12:22 PM
fullup3

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Yea, I saw that review on Gunblast where he was shooting some 1/4" groups with bulk ammo. I doubt the one I ordered will do that well, but you never know. I will be giving a range report as to how it shoots when I get it all set up and rolling.

I will have to look into the mods you mentioned.

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2012, 07:12 PM
Hos327

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Glad neither one of us got the last one. Just ordered mine yesterday morning too. Actually shooting a Savage TR also. Love the gun but really looking forward the the LVT. Been wanting one for a while. Really glad they releAsed them again.
Old 06-27-2012, 07:32 PM
fullup3

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Cool man. You will have to jump in on this thread with me and post your results as well. Yea, I love my Savages! But I think this 10/22 is going to be really fun to shoot. And, I really like the looks of it!
Old 06-27-2012, 08:07 PM
bullbill
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Agree that the LVT is a great looking 10/22. I think the full .920 bull on the Target model looks too heavy. Short barreled LVE and LVEH look too stubby. LVT's .705 taper looks just right. I like the wood stock better than the laminated Target. The original LVT release had the krinkle finish receivers, but the later releases have a plain black finish. Pix of a later release 1234 show a polished stainless barrel and a brushed aluminum receiver and black trigger guard. Saw a recent release 1235 that had a dark brown stock like the recent carbines. Curious to see what your new 1237s look like. Would appreciate pix.
Old 06-27-2012, 09:33 PM
Hos327

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Should be here Friday! Will have to see.
Old 06-27-2012, 10:45 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
After years of lugging around a bull barrel 10/22 over the prairie to dispatch gophers, prairie dogs, etc. I bought a 10/22 LVT about two years ago. Its light weight made it much more pleasant to carry, and the rodents sure can't tell the difference. Now I own two LVT's (one in Hawkeye matte blue and the other a blue & bright stainless combo with a beautiful tiger stripe stock) and they are both cherished members of my ever growing 10/22 family. I bet you will like yours.
Old 06-27-2012, 11:26 PM
fullup3

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRidgeParson View Post
After years of lugging around a bull barrel 10/22 over the prairie to dispatch gophers, prairie dogs, etc. I bought a 10/22 LVT about two years ago. Its light weight made it much more pleasant to carry, and the rodents sure can't tell the difference. Now I own two LVT's (one in Hawkeye matte blue and the other a blue & bright stainless combo with a beautiful tiger stripe stock) and they are both cherished members of my ever growing 10/22 family. I bet you will like yours.
How do yours shoot?
Old 06-28-2012, 12:20 PM
bullbill
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Just finished looking at "OK So What is Considered Good Grouping" thread in the Anything 10/22 Forum. The consensus there is that consistant 1/4" groups are pretty tough to achieve even with a highly modified 10/22. Good luck on trying to match the Gunblast results. 1/2" @ 50 would still be pretty good for an out of the box 10/22.
Old 06-28-2012, 02:07 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
This morning my newest LVT put 26 out of 30 shots into one hole that could be easily covered with a nickel at 50 yards, and this using a 3-9x Leupold and the cheap Federal AE-22 bulk ammo I use on prairie dogs. The four flyers only expanded the group to about one inch. With target ammo and a 6.5-20x Leupold, it performs much better, and the flyers disappear. But since it's easy to shoot a brick or more a day when shooting varmints, I reserve the target ammo for matches. My bull barrel Shilen 10/22 will beat the LVT's but not by enough so that the prairie dogs can tell the difference: dead is dead.
Old 06-28-2012, 06:46 PM
fullup3

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
bullbill....yea, I would think that 1/2" would be an acceptable accuracy level. That would make the gun MOA which is nothing to sneeze at for an autoloading semi-auto. If I can get it to consistantly shoot 1/2" with the occaisional 3/8" down to 1/4" with some good ammo, then I will be tickled.

BlueRidgeParson....that is a great real world report! With cheap ammo, seems like you will always have 4 or 5 rounds out that many shots that will fly away. The rest in a nice ragged hole is very good. I'm looking forward to getting to know the gun, and finding out what it likes to shoot. To me, that is one of most fun things about getting a new rifle.
Old 06-29-2012, 06:05 PM
Hos327

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Picked mine up this afternoon. Great looking rifle. Really glad I did not wait any longer and miss out on finally getting one. Halfway tempted to grab the all stainless matte model too! Anxious to get the scope mounted and see how it shoots.
Old 06-29-2012, 07:41 PM
bullbill
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Question for you new LVT owners. The 10/22 owners manual on the Ruger website says no Stingers or similar ammo for the Target model. Jeff Quinn responded to a question saying Stingers OK for the LVT. Is there any info with your new LVTs that mentions Stingers? I had assumed the LVT had the Target chamber for better accuracy.

Pix and range reports will be greatly appreciated
Old 06-29-2012, 08:23 PM
fullup3

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hos327 View Post
Picked mine up this afternoon. Great looking rifle. Really glad I did not wait any longer and miss out on finally getting one. Halfway tempted to grab the all stainless matte model too! Anxious to get the scope mounted and see how it shoots.

Sweet! Let us know. I paid with "check by PHone" to avoid the 3% credit card fee. Mine will take a few more days to arrive.