Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-29-2012, 07:07 PM
outdoor
Law Enforcement Officer

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
CZ 537 .308 Update

I recently asked about a CZ 537. I was able to purchase it and I have since brought it home and took more pictures on it. The following is what I have researched and since learned about this small production gun by CZ.

Photos http://s1066.photobucket.com/albums/u415/outdoorguy17/

This is my first time posting a picture so I hope this works.

More information to follow. Range report and data.
Old 05-29-2012, 07:15 PM
outdoor
Law Enforcement Officer

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
The rifle is a BRNO CZ 537 Sporter. Introduced in 1992. Barrel length is 23 5/8" long. Overall length is 44 3/4". Weight is 7lbs 9ozs. Checkered walnut stock, hooded ramp front sight, adjustable folding leaf rear, improved standard sized Mauser action with non rotation claw extractor, externally adjustable trigger, American style safety, streamlined bolt shroud with cocking indicator. Imported from the Czech Republic by Magnum Research.
Old 05-29-2012, 07:19 PM
outdoor
Law Enforcement Officer

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
My rifle is the .308, with a detachable 4 shot magazine. But they also made it in .270, 30-06, and .243.

I have no idea how to determine which year it was made in. Though there is a mark on the receiver area that says "MRI MPLS MN" I think that means it came through Minneapolis MN, but not sure if it was manufactured there also.

Let me know your thoughts, and hopefully I can find out more about this gun. I have ammo in the mail to I will have a range report soon.

Thanks and happy shooting.

Last edited by outdoor; 06-02-2012 at 08:57 PM. Reason: mag capacity changed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2012, 08:25 PM
timberbeast
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (39)
A fine rifle, I will look forward to your range report.
Old 05-29-2012, 09:07 PM
9 fingers

TPC Rating: 
100% (37)
Great find!
9 fingers
Old 05-30-2012, 08:11 AM
j.r. guerra in s. texas

TPC Rating: 
100% (42)
Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoor View Post
There is a mark on the receiver area that says "MRI MPLS MN" I think that means it came through Minneapolis MN, but not sure if it was manufactured there also.
I think the MRI stands for Magnum Research Incoporated. Spot on for location of Magnum Research address, but the firm only imported the firearm, they weren't the manufacturer. Magnum Research imported several different foreign manufactured firearms. Here is a link to the company.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnum_Research

Very nice buy - congratulations on your good fortune!
Old 05-30-2012, 09:42 AM
OldSwede

TPC Rating: 
100% (91)
Neat find.

Question: Does TOU have one?
Old 06-02-2012, 06:01 PM
outdoor
Law Enforcement Officer

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Finally made it to the Range today! I got the scope dialed in for some rough shooting today, but there were a ton of people there so not much for a good run at it. But it was good enough to get things tightened but from scratch.

Here is the new rifle with scope and CZ rings...the rings actually are marked 550. So they are compatible with 537's.

Rifle - CZ 537 .308 - (Mag only holds 4 rounds, I believe earlier I said 5.)
Scope - Simmons Whitetail classic Mil dot 6.5-20x50mm
Ammo - USAammo - 150 grain soft point - 168 grain VMax
Weather - 75 degrees. Wind - variable 6 - 10 mph NW.
Ranges 100-200 yards

Best group was .75" @ 100 yards with 168 VMax

Worst group was with 150 grains @ 100 yards

I then shot an ok group real quick @ 200 yards with 150 grains

Couple notes of interest -

1 - I sighted the scope in at 100 yards with 150 soft point. When I shot the 168 Vmax at the same scope settings it was low 7"!! I was super surprised that it would be that far off with the different weights, I was expecting some difference but not low by 7"! Any thoughts or similar experiences?

2 - Recoil was very manageable

3 - Bolt was smooth, tougher on loading and unloading but that's expected for the design of the extraction and loading from the mag.

4- Trigger is light, with a touch of creep that I think can be taken out with the adjustment screw on the trigger itself.

All said for a quick trip to the range it was a lot of fun, minus the bunch of guys blasting every AR and pistol they owned next to me!

I think this rifle will be a great shooter, and now I can go and get more 168 grain bullets and see what it really can do. Though I will need to re-sight the scope to be adjusted for the 168 and not 150 grains.
Old 06-02-2012, 09:32 PM
TCups
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
outdoor:

Do you know the twist rate of your barrel? I suspect it is a 1/12" twist rate. If so, instead of the 168 gr. A-Max (presuming you load your own) try the Berger 168 gr VLD. They will stabilize better than the A-Max, particularly at longer ranges.

Old 06-02-2012, 09:47 PM
mr.big

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
if you havent tried yet,,push the trigger frontwards,,that external adjustment is to adjust the set trigger and not for taking up creep ,you have to take the stock off for that,,

looks like a cool rifle,
Old 06-03-2012, 06:32 AM
outdoor
Law Enforcement Officer

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
I do not know the rate of twist yet. I have to reread Sophia's post on how to figure it out. I think it would be 1-12 but not sure until I check.

I have not started to reload. The start up cost is a hump to get over. And I don't want to blow my guns up. But I save all the pages with load data that you all have suggested. so suggestions are always welcome. thanks for them!

The trigger is not a set trigger. I have a 453 that has that and the 537 was made before CZ starting doing that... i think. I don't have any thing that I read just a hunch that it is a recent trend.

Any other ideas on the creep if its not a set trigger? thanks for the help.
Old 06-03-2012, 07:49 AM
nevadany

TPC Rating: 
100% (10)
Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoor View Post
I do not know the rate of twist yet. I have to reread Sophia's post on how to figure it out. I think it would be 1-12 but not sure until I check.

I have not started to reload. The start up cost is a hump to get over. And I don't want to blow my guns up. But I save all the pages with load data that you all have suggested. so suggestions are always welcome. thanks for them!

The trigger is not a set trigger. I have a 453 that has that and the 537 was made before CZ starting doing that... i think. I don't have any thing that I read just a hunch that it is a recent trend.

Any other ideas on the creep if its not a set trigger? thanks for the help.
FYI, BRNO used the set trigger (possibly different that CZ's SST, but many BRNOs had either a DST or SST), and the CZ is a clone/copy of the BRNO...even the transitional 537. The model you have either has:
1. the set trigger adjusted out of it
2. wasn't an option
3. has an aftermarket trigger

Since specs on the 537 are not readily available, I would say your rifle has one if the first 2 trigger scenerios...i am leaning for #2.

DW
Old 06-03-2012, 10:32 PM
Mr GAP
US Air Force Disabled American Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
MRI also imported a CZ 550 called the Minnesota. This one came drilled and tapped for Remington 700 bases.
Old 04-03-2019, 05:46 AM
Weather

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Odl thread, new info

This is an old thread, but maybe someone will find this info useful in the future.

The "Best of CZ 2014 Katalog" has a decent piece on it.

https://issuu.com/kuhada/docs/rocenk...czub_aj_web/38