Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-16-2012, 07:48 PM
Sgt. Rob

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My H&R model 150

Hello all, new member and after lurking awhile decided to enlist in your fine forum. Thought you might like to see one of my .22's, in fact its my favorite. She functions like a champ. This is my H&R model 150 "Leatherneck", the fact that it is named for Jarheads probably helps. Former "Leatherneck" myself.

She has been an on going restoration project since I aquired her.

Before:

After:

Before:

After:

Before:

After:

The bluing still has not come out as uniform as I want, but another attempt will probably wait till Fall or next Summer. This is one very consistant .22 rifle and has provided alot of exciting shooting for the family.

I might just need another to scope!

Semper Fi, Rob
Old 05-18-2012, 04:26 AM
n64atlas
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I have one of these myself along with two M65 true WWII trainers.
There was also the M165 and M151 rifle. Here are some pics of my M65' and
my M150:

Old 05-18-2012, 12:34 PM
Sgt. Rob

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Nice! Like your Model 65 and the "banana" magazine. I am guessing that was someones do it your self project.

Noticed your Model 150 has the plastic trigger guard, I am thinking that was a later revision? Mine has a two piece metal guard that extends to go over the magazine well. I keep looking up pictures and threads on the net trying to get more info on these, but there does not seem to be a whole lot out there, except in reguards to the Model 65 and its USMC use.

I like it quite a bit and am keeping my eye out for others, but wish I could gather more info on what was factory correct for sights, factory D&T vs home or gunsmith changes, and time frames of when the rear receiver plugs changed, and trigger gaurds changed, etc.

Thanks for posting up pics of yours, I am biased on these when it comes to semi-auto .22 rifles!

Semper Fi, Rob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2012, 03:21 PM
n64atlas

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Same here. The Bottom M65 came out of the Jeff Reising estate. He was the great nephue of Eugene Reising. The designer of these rifles. Most of this wasn't a design change as mush as using up olt stock. They made the 150 series from 1948-1953. The M165 was 1945. The 151 model has the Redfield rear sight like the 65 and 165. The original magazines for the 150/151 were 5 shot blued mags.
I also own a M50 SMG 45acp Reisig. Mine was used by a police department.

Here is a pic of the Reising pistol:
Old 05-19-2012, 12:51 PM
Sgt. Rob

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Nice pistol n64atlas! I have neverr seen one before, I gather its not too common? Looks like a tip up barrel? Interesting!

By chance, do you know how to tell if a factory "Leatherneck" was factory D&T'd for scope mounts? Or is that all going to be after purchase type modifications?

Btw I have one five shot magazine, and the one ten shot pictured. Plan to pick up two more tens, but they are pricey.

Semper Fi, Rob
Old 05-19-2012, 04:00 PM
n64atlas

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
The 10 round mags run $25-35 now days. I got about tem out of the Jeff Reising estate. They were all parkerized. I do have one or two blued ones. I've never seen a factory D&T H&R reising. You have to remember the era. The side mounts were just coming out. Most people were using the external adjustment scopes at that time. Mossberg had a side mount system. It may have had a patent that stoped others from using it for a few years. Not many stole patet rights back then. I'll look in my book on old scopes and see who made a side mount for the H&R Reisings. The one I got from Jeff, is drilled and tapped. One is under the rear sight.
On the pistol, a pic is worth a thousand words:

Old 05-19-2012, 04:27 PM
n64atlas

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Just looked at My book on scopes and mounts by Nick Stroebel "Old Rifle Scopes". There is no listing for any after market ot H&R mounts for the H&R Reisings.
Old 05-20-2012, 03:07 AM
Sgt. Rob

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by n64atlas View Post
Just looked at My book on scopes and mounts by Nick Stroebel "Old Rifle Scopes". There is no listing for any after market ot H&R mounts for the H&R Reisings.
So I take it that other mounts were "adapted" to the H&R Reisings? I will have to keep this in mind when looking at others in the future, and if that is the case it should be a bargaining chip in cost when haggling on one that has been D&T'd.

On the pistol, what was the reason for H&R to do the tip up barrel? Its interesting, but why not just work the slide I wonder? Not that its a bad thing, I am just curious.

BTW I appreciate the information your passing along, the internet research I am doing gets to be rather confusing with many contradictory claims on Model dates of production and such. Is there any good refrence books that cover these?

Semper Fi, Rob
Old 05-20-2012, 11:37 AM
n64atlas

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
The tipping barrel was so you could remove the slide for cleaning. BTW this pistol had noyhing to do with H&R. Ith was made in the 1920's and was Reisings own company at that time. He didn't join H&R till WWII era to help in the war effert.
The "Reising Submachine Gun Story" by Frank Iannamico is where I got the Reising ingo. There is also some stuff in "U.S. Mrtial .22RF Rifles" by Thomas D. Batha, though his info is on the M65 H&R Reising.
Being a former Marine, looks like yo need to find a M65 for you collection. Anything with a serial number below 6000 would be WWII, If you find a M65 modified ka MC-58, it would round out the military versions of the H&R Reising trainers. The MC-58 will be USMC marked, unlike the M65 which was not marked. There are also civilian M65's that H&R was allowed to sell during the war.
Pick up the two books to help you to know what you are looking for, and if it is correct. This is to insure the stock is correct for a M65 or even a 165/150/151 rifle. I have seen M65's in MC58 stocks, M65;s with 150 barrels on them ect. Even the later, adjustable triggers in early rifles. See something you're not sure of, PM me and I'll try to help. I read this forum every day. I'm retired and don't have all that much to do till I get some of my health back. Social Security Disabilityfrom welding in a bad enviernment. My lungs are shot.
Old 05-21-2012, 12:11 PM
Sgt. Rob

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
n64atlas, I am sincerely sorry to hear of your ill health, and pray that turns around quickly for you. Thank you for the heads up on the two books, as I will search them out. This is the first rifle that has got me really enthusastic about in some time, and now that I know they exist, I will be more dilligently looking for them. Checking Gunbroker I see a few listed, but the actual USMC models are pricey, so I will need to hope for a chance encounter and luck. The civilian models interest me about equally as much, so long as they are not too teribly beat or misused. I am just really impressed with both the fit, it is truly a man sized .22, and function as mine has been feeding and firing perfectly. I like it a whole lot better then my Ruger 10/22 and Marlin Model 60 semi's. Throw in the USMC connection and basically I am sold on them!

Semper Fi, Rob
Old 05-21-2012, 01:09 PM
n64atlas

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
One thing I will point out. When you tearone down for a good cleaning. when you put it back together, screw the end cap on only as far as it takes to lock the bolt back. Screw it one too tight will cause function problems. That is why the click syops on this part. What I do is screw it one finger tight, then back it off till I can lock the bolt back. Then back it off one or two more clicks.
It will work with most ammo this way. They nice thing about the 150's is the adjustable trigger, as I said before, that is not on the M65, not sure about the 165's
Old 05-27-2012, 10:26 AM
firstonmissouri2

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
n64atlas; I also bought quite a few firearms from the Reising estate, 2 of the Reising auto pistols, one has the original holster! a model 150, a model 65, a leatherneck model 165, and a H&R Medalist which I recently found a Tasco model 705 target scope to fit the bases that came on the rifle, it is a great shooter!
These older 22.s are built like tanks and a blast to shoot. Eugene Reising invented alot of great fire arms.
Old 05-27-2012, 12:51 PM
n64atlas

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I have the other holster that he had. I picked up a 709 a few months aga at a gunshow. I have yet to mount it on one of my target rifles. I'm headed to the range Monday, I think I'll put it on the Anschutz and see how it works. The 709 is 24X scope. I like my Reising collection, hope to add a model 60 at some time in the future.

Old 02-20-2019, 03:27 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Found this thread searching for info on my own, recently aquired H&R Model 150.
Yep, old thread, and it looks like Sgt. Rob hasnt been logged on since Jn 2012, soon after his last post on here.
In the interest of adding to the collective knowledge base and aiding anyone else who stumbles upon this....
My 150 is much like Sgt. Rob's pics, the full bottom metal (he called it 2 pc; one is a thin blued mild steel 'trigger plate' and the 2nd the exterior magazine through trigger guard thicker metal (ala a Win. 52 sorta style) also blued mild steel.
The wrist does not have the more sporting rifle 'flutes' most often seen on pics of the 150/151. It is a plain pistol grip, more 'service rifle' style.
Most noticeably the 151 had the receiver peep-sight from the factory, the 150 no, and sadly, the 150 rear of the action is not drilled/tapped for one, though the stock would also have to be notched out to install one. This is telling to me that the 150 was intended to be a sporting rifle with its standard, but nice, Marbles sporting open rear and bead front sight on a sporting ramp. Yet the rest of my, and Rob's 150's are very much in the same style as the smallbore position rifles of that day.
The 151 c/w the peep and post front would have certainly met the criteria for that other than being semi-auto. I dont recall reading about any semi-auto matches, though??? Im sure there is a lot Ive never heard of.....but matches like that now are the Appleseed/LTR and sure sound fun.
Back to the rifle, the 'long bottom metal' does seem more scarce in the pics, but many pics it is hard to tell if you arent looking for it. Any Ive seen with it dont have the stock wrist flutes; the flip is that those 150/151 with the plastic trigger guard do have the flutes?
Oh, and my butt-plate is a hard plastic H&R, Im sure oem, be careful of those as the plastic is getting more old and brittle.

Last edited by gcrank1; 04-26-2019 at 05:56 PM.
Old 02-22-2019, 01:23 PM
n64atlas

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I wish I could get home and check my 150&151 to see if it has deluxe stamped on the barrel after the model number. It my just be an early version of these as my serial number is just 4 digits as I recall. Oh well, need to heal up first