0% (-1)
mini 14 owners

any one here have a mini 14?
Old 04-29-2012, 04:35 PM
Chazbo
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I've had a standard blued model since 1978. Lot's of fun for banging away at "other than paper" targets, very reliable, and accuracy is...well...not it's strong point. I understand the newer production models are more tolerable in that regard.
Old 04-29-2012, 04:52 PM
timberbeast

TPC Rating: 
100% (39)
I have a mid-1990's production.... very reliable, and accuracy is fine for its intended purpose. Mine shoots inside 2MOA with cheap milsurp ammo.
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2012, 08:44 PM
Ron M.
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
I have one of the new model Ranch Rifles, picked it up about a year ago. So far its proved to be completely reliable with 800 rounds fired. Accuracy has been fair to very good depending on the bullet weight. My rifle does best with a hand load using a 60gr Vmax bullet. Best groups are about an inch and a quarter. I put a Weaver Classic V3 1-3 scope on mine. I use it for shooting feral cats, hogs and goats on my property near Mason, TX.

Ron M.
Old 04-29-2012, 09:56 PM
crankythunder

Burrokratic Republic of Michigan, Cubicle LVW-2a19d, Rock Number 3
TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
well, I gotta mini thirty!!!!

does that count??????

It has a cheap folding stock on it and a tasco 1.5 by 5 squashed objective scope and I can positivly, definatly say that beyond a doubt it will hit the inside of a barn. It is used at one of my "cramped" deer blinds where resting it on the windowsill and using it as a pistol, it has collected a fair share of venison. I am very fortunate whereas it does not show a preferance for one type of ammo over another, It will scatter the expensive stuff all over the target to the same level of inprecision as the chi com mil surp disposable stuff!

I am at a loss to explain the tonnage of venison this rifle has collected over the years.

Regards,
Cranky
Old 04-30-2012, 01:18 AM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
With the help of a barrel stabilizer and match ammo I can squeeeze 2-2.5 MOA out of mine. I added a gas check also.

Old 04-30-2012, 01:18 AM
landshark

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I've had a mini 30 ranch rifle for a long time.

I haven't shot it very much, but when I have I always hit what I was aiming at with it.

Its basically a M1 carbine on steroids. Inside 100 they don't suck. They are really handy little rifles, easy to scope, way more accurate than a run of the mill AK and they have a nice balance to them.

Like all Rugers, they are really well thought out, really well made, and good to go right out of the box.

I think the mini-14 gets a bad rap because it always gets compared to the AR and the M14 when basically its a M1 carbine in .223 with a garand action (which was a cool idea at the time).

The mini-30 is a brush gun, designed to compete with 30-30 lever guns, and it compares pretty favorably.
Old 04-30-2012, 08:22 AM
redlegagent
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Got mine.
Old 04-30-2012, 11:02 AM
evolution1974

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I enjoy taking my Mini 14 and Sagia 7.62x39 to the desert when I go camping. I have the Ranch version and can hit bowling pins at 75-100 yards with the iron sights. I may not hit the bowling pins all the time but I do it with enough consistancy that I'm satisfied with its performance. The trick is to keep the barrel cool. If it starts to heat up I grab another gun to shoot and let the Mini cool off. The design is robust and will last a long time if cared for. I purchased my Mini a while back and it's a keeper. However, at its current price I would pick up a Sagia if I were buying new.

Old 04-30-2012, 12:07 PM
JR47
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
We have a pair of them. One is an early run All-Weather, the other is a very early Ranch Rifle. Both are scoped. The All-Weather wears a Bushnell 4x32, while the Ranch is currently equipped with a 3-9x32 Bushnell air-gun scope that has Target Turrets, and an adjustable optic.

I put flash suppressors on both guns, made sure that the gas blocks were evenly spaced and torqued, and shooting has cleaned up both triggers nicely. Using Mil-Surp 62 gr. ammo, they will shoot into 1.5 MOA.

One thing that I have noticed is that both guns respond well to the cleaning, and copper stripping, of the barrel every 250 rounds.

Neither of them has ever failed to shoot and eject anything that I fed them.
Old 04-30-2012, 01:11 PM
j.r. guerra in s. texas

TPC Rating: 
100% (42)
Pretty much the same feedback as above, not an accurate rifle but a good truck - carry rifle that is very reliable. Its pretty windy and sandy where I live, and the design is not finicky in performing in such conditions.

I owned its sibling Mini-30 ranch rifle for many years, an early .308 bore model (same feedback as above), but decided to sell it because of the lack of reliable hi-cap magazines. Which of course Ruger began to sell factory about six months after I sold it. Fwiw, if you want reliable hi-caps for these rifles, sticking to factory will likely keep you happier - some of the aftermarkets are very disappointing to tolerable.

Hope this helps.
Old 04-30-2012, 01:31 PM
1KPerDay

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I like mine... 196 series ranch, IIRC.

I did better using it on the long steel with open sights in a 3-gun than I've ever done with any other rifle, including garands, SCAR, AR-15s, M1-A and AUG.

http://youtu.be/-1pKwtwtznE?t=9m51s

Last edited by 1KPerDay; 04-30-2012 at 01:37 PM.
Old 04-30-2012, 06:52 PM
Roadguy

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Just bought one...

two weeks ago. It's the tactical model with the 16" barrel but conventional style nylon stock. Don't much care for pistol grip stocks with rails all over the place. It's been plenty accurate (I'm staying with the iron sights) and completely reliable. I bought a stainless model back in about 1983 and I really wish I would have kept it. I think they are a great gun.
Old 04-30-2012, 07:21 PM
remnar

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by landshark View Post
I've had a mini 30 ranch rifle for a long time.

I haven't shot it very much, but when I have I always hit what I was aiming at with it.

Its basically a M1 carbine on steroids. Inside 100 they don't suck. They are really handy little rifles, easy to scope, way more accurate than a run of the mill AK and they have a nice balance to them.

Like all Rugers, they are really well thought out, really well made, and good to go right out of the box.

I think the mini-14 gets a bad rap because it always gets compared to the AR and the M14 when basically its a M1 carbine in .223 with a garand action (which was a cool idea at the time).

The mini-30 is a brush gun, designed to compete with 30-30 lever guns, and it compares pretty favorably.
+1

I own a mini-30 and would agree with about everything stated above.

-remnar
Old 05-01-2012, 03:55 AM
JayLE
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Question Any info on a Mini-14 GB???

I have a Mini-14, 50th Anniversary of the FBI National Academy. It is the GB version, stainless with bayonet lug and flash suppressor. It is a nice gun and shoots well. I have always wondered what it is worth. If anyone here has any additional information on the gun I would appreciate it.

Jay