Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-18-2012, 12:58 AM
beercansnipe

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
we shall see....

I do believe that in the future i will shoot a 250 on the usbr target at 50 yds with this gun.

But i don't know for sure. i can only hope. My father has a ural-2 and my gun shoots identically so far. The ural shot a 100-9x at 25 yards. I can only hope that i can do that with mine
Old 05-24-2012, 04:41 PM
beercansnipe

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The wrap up

I am pleased with the way the rifle came out and shoots. I figured I would post a target and let y'all know how long it took and how much I spent.

This target was shot using federals 922a ammo. It's a mid priced match grade ammo (about $11 a box). I believe that this ammo is actually RWS R-50 that did not quite make the cut for whatever reason, and it does has an occasional "flyer" of about .2 inches at 25 yards (a few per box). I have been shooting rimfire benchrest for less than 6 month's so I am by no means an expert shooter. My father also shot the same score with this rifle.

The rifle shoots groups averaging less than .15 inch center to center at 25 yards. Some groups are so small I find it difficult to measure them center to center as they appear to be only 1 hole.

I am extremely pleased with how she shoots.

Now about the build.

The rifle cost me $229 from CDNN with a cracked stock. Plus shipping (about $20) and a $20 transfer. I was lucky enough to have my fathers help with the build, He also helped me by providing many of my supplies. If one had to go out and buy the supplies (Epoxy, Bondo, Filler Putty, Paint Etc.) in smaller amounts I think it would total less than $75 dollars. I also bought a $70 dollar centerpoint scope from Wal-Mart. And i got lucky with the mounts too. I have A gamo break barrel air rifle that is terribly inaccurate. But the mounts on it happened to be 11mm. I stole that mount for my rifle. My dad bought a no drill mount for his rifle for about $35 I think.

TOTAL SPENT (including my freebies): $449 Approx.

I am not a woodworker, most of what I have done with wood has been things like structural framing. I do have a lot of general experience as a mechanic and I have quite a shop in my garage (Drill press, Lathe, Shopsmith, Etc.). Like a lot of he people that will read this I feel I can fix most things. I made a Lot of mistakes along the way. With patience and extra work they were all repairable. It took about 3 weeks to finish the build. Most of that was curing time. I guess i put about 30 hours of real work into the gun.

The main reason I'm posting all this is to show that with time and effort many people could build a great rifle for relatively little money. I feel that my rifle is capable of shooting right with some of the rifles I have seen costing more than 3 times as much.
Old 05-24-2012, 06:28 PM
RET
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Nice job.

ret
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2012, 07:26 PM
wolfspotter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Outstanding job
Old 05-25-2012, 01:33 AM
beercansnipe

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks

I really appreciate everyone's input.

Thanks y'all
Old 05-25-2012, 03:26 AM
encore man

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
it looks extensive but keep up the good work . looking good
Old 05-28-2012, 12:41 AM
dufferDave
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Wow

That turned out beautifully, all that work looks like it was well worth it!

And I am just a little envious of the accuracy.

Just curious, though--did you ever consider bridging over the top of the thumb knuckle to make a "thumbhole" design, to add more strength to the stock at that narrow spot? (Or did you just not care for that style?)

Congrats on a very nice build and finish
Old 05-28-2012, 01:02 AM
beercansnipe

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I do not care for it

From what I have read one should not wrap there thumb around the grip in bench shooting. It is better to have the thumb vertical or parallel with the barrel from what I understand. I also believe the grip is stronger than it needs to be now.

Thanks for the kind words Dave
much appreciated,
Kurt
Old 05-29-2012, 06:19 PM
thewolf2008

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Nice job man, i will probably steal the idea from you with the tubes behind the but-plate to make the stock longer to fit it better to my long arms.
Please show some targets on 50 yards and tell us the setup you used - scope, ammunition, tuner setting if you add one, rests aso.
Old 05-30-2012, 06:51 AM
Bolero
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
98% (43)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thewolf2008 View Post
Nice job man, i will probably steal the idea from you with the tubes behind the but-plate to make the stock longer to fit it better to my long arms.
Please show some targets on 50 yards and tell us the setup you used - scope, ammunition, tuner setting if you add one, rests aso.
25 yd is meaningless, lets see some 50 yd targets....

Have you ever considered cosmetic surgery for your feet, they are really scary looking...

Nice looking gun...
Old 05-30-2012, 09:24 AM
beercansnipe

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
well well

I guess there has to be one bad apple in the bunch.

first one on the ignore list.... Bolero
Old 12-25-2012, 10:34 PM
tmnolan

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Great job -- and very encouraging for those of us who are on a tight budget. Thanks for taking the time to document the process.
Old 03-29-2018, 09:55 PM
Riverwolf1
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Why does just about every picture on this board have to be viewed using photobucket? It would be nice to see this project via the pictures but I am certainly not spending $100 for a photo bucket subscription! Then on top of all that you canít upgrade your membership due to paypal issues that have seemingly gone on forever. Great article in write up but kind of useless without pics! There is so much to lean on this website but it does seem like the owner, of it is having difficulty with upgrading or some other problems!
Old 04-02-2018, 01:25 PM
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverwolf1 View Post
Why does just about every picture on this board have to be viewed using photobucket?
I changed to Imgur. It's free and easy to use. As an example, here's a picture of my CM-2 before I had it D&T'd for Weaver bases.