Updated inletting template for the Biathlon - Page 3 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-30-2011, 04:08 PM
Tyris
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Thanks!
Were 2 flute endmills needed to help move the chips more easily?
Wouldn't moving to 4-flute and higher rpm yield a smoother finish?

-T
Old 10-31-2011, 02:51 AM
AzizaVFR
US Navy Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
73% (7)
Send a message via AIM to AzizaVFR Send a message via Yahoo to AzizaVFR
Yes, 2-flute cutters have more void area to remove chips if you are not using compressed air to blow them free, and wood swarf flies farther than aluminum. The slower speeds go with the slower feeds provided by the cranks. The surface finish I get from Atrax carbide and HSS cutters is quite good. The endmills have a sharp smooth edge, making the surface ready for sanding without lots of tool marks.

The longer cutters I have are 4-flute, only because they do not make them in either a two or three flute variety.
Old 12-06-2011, 07:01 PM
mudd turtle

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Sv-99

Have been checking back often to see how the project has been coming along. Hope to see your latest magic soon. mudd turtle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2011, 04:54 PM
RET

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Same here....

Anything new?

ret
Old 12-07-2011, 10:29 PM
mudd turtle

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RET View Post
Anything new?

ret
Nothing in about three weeks. Man has been real busy with work and other things in life. Mudd turtle.
Old 02-24-2012, 08:38 PM
mudd turtle

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
rifle

Quote:
Originally Posted by RET View Post
Anything new?

ret
ret : I can't wait to get my hands on this little SV99 repro mudd turtle.
Old 08-27-2012, 10:27 AM
mudd turtle

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Talked to Aziza Vfr over the weekend about the final coming togearher of the project he has been working on. He sent pictures and declares that all work is completed. I think it looks fantastic and can't wait to receive the rifle to shoot it. Thanks Randel for all your hard work. The project was well thought out and exicuted. Thanks again Mudd Turtle.
Old 09-01-2012, 01:53 AM
AzizaVFR
US Navy Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
73% (7)
Send a message via AIM to AzizaVFR Send a message via Yahoo to AzizaVFR
Project completed, finally.

This has been a long time coming. Since my disappearance from this board, so many things have changed personally and professionally in my life. For the longest time, firearms and ideas of working in the garage were not even entertained. It has taken me a long time to even get the time to finish this project I started about this time last year. This truly have been a labor of love, through the learning process, and watching something come from nothing and the Internet (still nothing) to a realization.

Where I left off with the build progress, I had completed the rough exterior. Next on the list of tasks was adding the 10" of Anschutz rail to the bottom of the forearm. It was inlet and secured with a five screws. This will allow for multiple rail attachment to be used.

To go with this rail, I made a sled block, 3" wide, to be used for benchrest shooting. It was cut at an angle, giving the rifle a parallel surface to the bore to ride during recoil. It uses a milled block of aluminum to slide into the Anschutz rail and cinched to the foreend with two countersunk screws using an 1/8" allen wrench. You will notice the color scheme is retained in the sled block to correspond to the color of each side of the stock.

With all the major components completed, the next thing was beauty marks. I have to thank Ret for the wonderful tutorials when it comes to stippling using a carbide burr on his CM-2 build. It was the basis for what I was wanting to do. Using an 1/8" ball burr, I outlined the area of the pistol grip, paying attention to keep each side mirrored in coverage.

For a little extra twist, since this is a Russian based rifle and to tie in the rear buttpad, I added a five-pointed star in the center of the stippling. I traced two identically sized units then proceeded to stipple within the area. The texture is more of a golf ball feel, rather than the cheese grater you would find some tactical guys do to their polymer pistols. It has a solid fill without disturbing your grip.

Star placed

Finished left side

Now for the absolutely longest stage, final sanding and finishing. During this time, I spend more time away from home than I care to mention. Once the sanding was done, I started to apply Tru-Oil to the surface. I personally like how Tru-Oil brings out the colors of the different laminates, especially the red. It darkened it to the colors I was hoping for.

First two coats of Tru-Oil

I lost count of the number of coats I applied and sanded off. It was at least a half a bottle between the stock, cocking paddle, cheek pad, and sled block. After it was completed, it hung in the garage for over a month hardening in the 100 degree garage temperature from the weather of Southern Arizona. It is the hardest finish I have yet to do. Here it is after the last buffing.

I did take it to the local indoor range, placed a 36x power scope on it for function testing. The 3oz trigger is quite good, breaking smoothly. It functioned without fail, and was quite nice to shoot. I did not have at the time a full benchrest shooting platform to really wring out the performance. Given the shaky nature of the shelf, I was quite please with the performance. So was my Lady. She had to distract one of the guys at the range to keep him from drooling over it too much.

As a reward, my Lady said since one Russian is leaving the house, one should join. She ordered me, while I was in Brazil, an Arsenel SGL-21. While they were both made in the Izhmash factory, they are complete opposite ends of the spectrum.

As configured with the scope, the weight of the entire rifle is 9lbs, 6oz. It is at the expected value of just under 10lbs with optics and suppressor. It is a bitter-sweet result. I did have a great deal of fun making this stock. The experience I gained from doing something completely new for me was exciting. Finally seeing it lay in its shipping box was a somber moment. A toast of Glenmorangie 18 Year Old Single Malt was in order.

So this bring to an end of this project. I do not have plans of recreating one of these anytime soon. My professional job is being more demanding as of late. If I do get time, I may make a pattern for azguy to run on his duplicator. He can do the outside contours, then it would be up to the type of action to see if it could be inlet and function. I wanted to get this update out before my next exodus to another black box datacenter. I thank everyone for allowing me to share this journey.

-rw

Last edited by AzizaVFR; 09-01-2012 at 04:29 AM.
Old 09-01-2012, 10:38 AM
RET

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Excellent job!!!!!!!!!

It's that simple.

ret
Old 09-03-2012, 09:05 PM
mudd turtle

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
It has been worth the wait. You have done an excelent job. Not only am I receiving a unique rifle ,one of a kind creation but have made a friend who will be in my memory as long as I live. Thank you sir. Well done. God speed and stay well and happy. Looking foward to shooting it a my local club. Your friend Mudd Turtle.
Old 12-21-2012, 11:39 AM
Jetmugg

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
WOW - that is extremely nice. I am now daydreaming about my "next" project.

Steve.
Old 12-23-2012, 05:21 PM
mr.T

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Any chance of posting a side view plot of SV-99 stock(1:1 scale) used to outline the stock shape on the blank
Old 09-10-2014, 08:27 AM
Canister

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Any chance that the Izhmash template could be re uploaded please

Hi all from Australia,
I went to download the inletting template but is appears not to be hosted anymore. Is there any chance this could be uploaded again please?

Kind regards
Rob
Old 10-15-2015, 06:01 PM
PGT

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
bump for visibility - anybody have the template?
Old 02-21-2016, 06:32 PM
Matthewbrian316

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Bump Looking for the inletting as well