Updated inletting template for the Biathlon - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-24-2011, 04:35 PM
AzizaVFR
US Navy Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
73% (7)
Send a message via AIM to AzizaVFR Send a message via Yahoo to AzizaVFR

This is about 1/3 completed. The buttstock components are done and attach to the easily. The delrin spacers shown above can be used to set the length of pull (1" total range) along with the cheek piece height, (1" as well). As you see it, the length of pull is 13.75". The weight of the stock is 3.4lbs.

Both the monopod and buttpad can be adjusted with a very small twist of the screws and lock firmly in place.

I am waiting on the handrail to arrive, get it inlet into the forearm, finish a front sled for riding a benchrest bag, and figure how to make a mount for a front bipod.

Stage 2 will be final shaping/sanding and stimpling the grip.
Stage 3 will be applying the final finish.
Old 09-27-2011, 06:03 PM
RET
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
This project is at least

twice as cool as any project I have ever seen ( or done) !!!!

Interesting to compare images to the original on https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...d.php?t=266965

Pic # 4, 64, 95 and 156.

This one has a superior grip configuration and copies the forearm of # 4 instead of # 95. (There are at least 3 stock patterns shown in the above pics.) What made you lean toward #4 instead of #156. I like your choice better than #156.

Weight?

ret

Last edited by RET; 09-28-2011 at 08:05 AM.
Old 09-27-2011, 06:57 PM
azguy
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (18)
I met with AzizaVFR this past weekend. He brought this stock with him and I have to say. As impressive as the pics are, the actual stock is even MORE impressive. What a super job he has done on this project. And it feels as good as it looks. Balance, weight, all good. After several hours with him I can tell you he himself is an impressive individual and knows what he's about. He is assisting me with some tooling for my duplicator and we made some "adjustments" while he was here. Aziza....it was great to make your aquaintance guy. Got some fixture and jig ideas we'll be talking about soon. Can't wait to see the finished product buddy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-28-2011, 02:09 PM
AzizaVFR

TPC Rating: 
73% (7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RET View Post
twice as cool as any project I have ever seen ( or done) !!!!

Interesting to compare images to the original on https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...d.php?t=266965

Pic # 4, 64, 95 and 156.

This one has a superior grip configuration and copies the forearm of # 4 instead of # 95. (There are at least 3 stock patterns shown in the above pics.) What made you lean toward #4 instead of #156. I like your choice better than #156.

Weight?

ret
Extremely accurate assessment, Ret.

The pictures in post #4 from the thread is what I printed full size and use for a reference pattern, just like this:

Original inspiration image:

Full size print.

The reason I chose this pattern was due to the original material looks to be a laminate. It is what helps to show the lines, the depths, and contours of the stock in greater detail from a simple flat image. I also was able to find more reference images both from the Izhmash site, along with a couple of others giving me a different point of view, especially of the buttstock area profile and contours.

The weight of the rifle (stock and receiver) is 7.6lbs without optics. The reference weight is 9.9lbs with optics and silencer. I guess I am on target. I still have some contouring to do, if you compare the template above to the to the stock below.

More to come.
Old 09-28-2011, 02:47 PM
aom22
US Air Force Disabled American Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Impressive Results

Quote:
Originally Posted by azguy View Post
As impressive as the pics are,
the actual stock is even MORE impressive.
Yep, so far ... so good.
Very, very nice ... aom22.
Old 09-28-2011, 06:04 PM
MOAhunter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Amazing Work!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzizaVFR View Post

I am waiting on the handrail to arrive, get it inlet into the forearm, finish a front sled for riding a benchrest bag, and figure how to make a mount for a front bipod.

Stage 2 will be final shaping/sanding and stimpling the grip.
Stage 3 will be applying the final finish.
Have you considered an embedded bipod spigot for a versa pod?
see here: http://versapod.com/shop/150-108

Would be a good option in replicating.
Old 09-28-2011, 11:22 PM
RET

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Thickness of stock

on each side of receiver? ( For ideas for the one I will be building shortly..... without the mill I am afraid. )

RET
Old 09-29-2011, 11:00 PM
AzizaVFR

TPC Rating: 
73% (7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOAhunter View Post
Have you considered an embedded bipod spigot for a versa pod?
see here: http://versapod.com/shop/150-108
See, I know I am not the only one looking at all those pictures on the Internet of this rifle. I have that image also printed for reference. I have looked at the Versa-Pod. It does look like it is what the original rifle uses. Also, the spigot would be fun to bore and insert. I have a slightly different idea for mounting both a benchrest sled and the bipod to the front. Enroute is an Anschutz accessory rail to be installed in the forearm. I plan on machining the three mounts to secure to the rail for the sled, bipod, and handstop/sling attachment. The rail will add the least amount of weight to the overall weight of the rifle while providing the most versatility.

Ret, as you see it, the flat sections you see from the tip to just past the receiver is 1.970" from side to side.
Old 09-29-2011, 11:24 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
That project is looking great....
How did you get the toggle paddle off Aziza ???? I think I have seen 2 of your versions so far.

And how about it guys.....the Biathlon Basic is truly a very special rifle.
Now that I got my scope deal figured out I have been shooting the crap out of mine for the last 2 months....she just loves Fed. 510.

Midwest Swiss

Last edited by midwest swiss; 09-29-2011 at 11:30 PM.
Old 09-30-2011, 01:01 AM
AzizaVFR

TPC Rating: 
73% (7)
The paddles come off with just a little coaxing. You have to get a screwdriver under the front lip, since it uses a protrusion to keep it from twisting under normal use. The paddle has to come down straight down until you can clear the protrusion.

Midwest Swiss, you are correct. You have seen two different paddles I have made. They are fashioned after the unit on the 7-4/7-3 rifles. This is the first one I made.

Mexican Chechen

I will be traveling a bit in the next two weeks, plus I have a good number of scope rails to make for the Biathlon. I found a great resource to do hard anodizing on the 6061 aluminum pieces. More dust to make, aluminum to mill, and beer from the UK to consume.
Old 09-30-2011, 08:02 AM
RET

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Clarification,

TO RET.........the flat sections you see from the tip to just past the receiver is 1.970" from side to side..................

TO AzizaVFR........I mean the thickness of the stock wall to the sides of receiver...looking down/from the top view.

ret

Last edited by RET; 09-30-2011 at 09:47 AM.
Old 09-30-2011, 10:20 AM
AzizaVFR

TPC Rating: 
73% (7)
Top caliper shows the flat area at the top of the stock next to the receiver.
Middle caliper shows the minimum thickness through the stock in the magazine well.
Steel ruler for overall width.

Old 09-30-2011, 03:43 PM
RET

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Thanks!

ret
Old 10-30-2011, 01:44 AM
Tyris

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
If you dont mind me asking, what kind of endmill did you use on the laminated blank, and what speed did you run it to avoid burning the wood?

thanks in advance

-T
Old 10-30-2011, 08:32 AM
AzizaVFR

TPC Rating: 
73% (7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyris View Post
If you dont mind me asking, what kind of endmill did you use on the laminated blank, and what speed did you run it to avoid burning the wood?

thanks in advance

-T
I use mainly spiraled 2-flute endmills made from high speed steel, M42 HSS with 10% cobalt, or carbide. Most of the time, I run the cutters less than 2000 rpm. The maximum my mill will run is 4300, yet I have never ran it that high.