Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 06-03-2014, 12:57 AM
MoSmith
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

I think they do but I don't know for sure. I can post pics of four of them I have good pictures of so far. They all look the same for the most part minus some small color variances.

Old 06-03-2014, 06:14 PM
sakorick
US Army Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
That's Beech, and a nice one too! Birch is very blotchy with dark blotched over lighter wood. Both Beech and Birch are tougher than Walnut on the hardness scale. Walnut is generally preferred by stock makers because they are easy to work with and generally more colorful. Here is a pic of my 3 144US rifles. The bottom one is Birch and the top two are Beech. Ricgards, Rick.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 144s.jpg (29.4 KB, 134 views)
Old 06-04-2014, 04:27 AM
MoSmith
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I always thought the birch was red and that beech was the lighter colored wood.

http://m14forum.com/m14/127980-stock...fferences.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2014, 06:27 PM
sakorick
US Army Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
That guy is clueless. There is no such thing as "big red" Birch and that stock he showed is Beech. Both Beech and Birch are very blond wood with some having a reddish heartwood, however, You can stain them in any color you like. Most Beech Military stocks were stained with a reddish walnut stain, hence the "Big Red" Birch. Trust me, Birch is blond not red. Properties & Uses: Birch is a hard, heavy, close grained hardwood with a light brown or reddish colored heartwood and cream or light sapwood. Birch is often rotary or flat sliced, yielding straight, curly or wavy grain patterns. It can be stained to resemble mahogany or walnut. Regards, Rick.

Last edited by sakorick; 06-04-2014 at 06:41 PM.
Old 06-07-2014, 02:05 AM
usrifle

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Rick, "Big Red" Birch stocks do exist. This is common knowledge in the M-14 community.

The link he gave reefer's to specifically M-14 wood, but the finish and material are the same on those particular M144US rifles.

Here's a link to a very good place to obtain the M-14 "Big Red" stocks.

http://www.fredsm14stocks.com/M14-Bi...tock-STV02.htm

I own one of these mentioned 144US rifles from MoSmith, and I am a longtime collector of US rifles of all types. (This is my first .22 cal. though)
These rifles are all stocked in birch. Beech does not exhibit "Tiger striping" and color/pattern changing like Birch does. The grain's differ in pattern and color as well.
I won't argue that they produced Beech stocked rifles, but I can say from many years of experience working with wood and collecting US Rifles
(Hence the usrifle handle),these are Birch.
I also offer that of the 3 rifles you have pictured, 2 of them are Birch and the other could be Beech.
I mean no offense but, but I felt I that in the interest of your survey you would want to have accurate information.
Old 06-07-2014, 08:30 AM
tralfaz33
US Marines Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
usrifle, I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with you on a few things here. These so-called "big red" stocks are simply red stained stocks. Beech and Birch are almost white in their natural, un-stained state. I work with both of these types of wood on a daily basis, along with ash, cherry and maple, and have never seen a piece of either with that color in it's natural state. As to beech not having "tiger striping", that is a not true at all. While it is not as common as birch, beech will display the waviness in it's grain depending on the size of the tree it's cut out of, and where in the trunk the blank comes from. Almost any type of wood will display this type of phenomenon, it is just more common in certain types than others. And just so you know, Rick is also a collector of US Military rifles, with a very extensive collection.

Matt
Old 06-08-2014, 03:00 AM
usrifle

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Fair enough, we can agree to disagree.

Here's an example of a Birch with atypical "flame" on an M1 Garand mixed in with some others.
This stock was split from the back of the trigger guard to the front of the Clip magazine well.

A nice "Flame", it turned out well. I agree Birch is very "White" in the raw.
The finish applied to the era of the M144US was Tung oil in a single coat resulting in the "Red" coloration.

Let's look at the one I own now.
See the "flame" and the grain structure? It changes with the light unlike Beech.

Here's a Soviet Birch stock that was finished very "white.

Here is a Beech M1A stock..

A beautiful Beech stocked Swedish M38.

Arctic Birch on a Finn M/28

Here's a repair I did to a Soviet M44 birch stock.
Can you identify the "graft" wood used for the Heel repair?

It was ugly and poorly done so I fixed it.

That Birch is pretty White under the Soviet Shellac...Sure turns red with Shellac and Tung oil or BLO.

Uh oh...need a little color match.

Much better! Birch takes color well.

...and done.

and the repair wood is Poplar.

Now back to the .22 rifles at hand. Since i have one of these rifles in hand, and i have seen 2 of them in person, i feel pretty well qualified to make the call on the stock wood.

In fairness, we can agree to disagree. The bottom line is, regardless they are gorgeous rifles.

Last edited by usrifle; 06-08-2014 at 03:02 AM.
Old 06-08-2014, 09:33 AM
tralfaz33
US Marines Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
[QUOTE=usrifle;5040777]

Here is a Beech M1A stock..

This stock is birch.

And very nice job on the graft. Poplar has a olive cast to it that will turn a very nice warm, brown color when left in direct light. It's very soft, just a tad harder than pine. Best used as laminations in sub-flooring or even better, pallets.

Matt
Old 06-08-2014, 01:19 PM
usrifle

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
you are correct Matt...it was late, had a few beers and I got confused when putting that post together.
Old 06-08-2014, 01:56 PM
tralfaz33
US Marines Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
No harm, no foul . That birch stock on that M1 is beautiful. I have a Mossberg 44US that is very similar.

Matt

Last edited by tralfaz33; 06-08-2014 at 02:00 PM.
Old 02-17-2015, 01:09 PM
b61mac
Law Enforcement Officer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
144 us

144US -- SN# US 0758 -- Beech? -- Redfield 68 (front), Redfield 75 (receiver) -- LR only -- Circle P on barrel -- 2 holes for safety fire and safe buttons (green is missing). It's also missing magazine and hand stop. Picking up 2 magazines today from Havlins.

I'm new to this site and hope to learn a lot more about these pieces of history.

Photos can be viewed on my photobucket:

http://s1060.photobucket.com/user/bi...ssy%20144%20US

Thank you.

- Bob

Last edited by b61mac; 02-18-2015 at 09:29 AM. Reason: add photo link
Old 02-17-2015, 09:52 PM
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tralfaz33 View Post
Poplar has a olive cast to it that will turn a very nice warm, brown color when left in direct light. It's very soft, just a tad harder than pine. Best used as laminations in sub-flooring or even better, pallets.
Also popular for millwork to be painted - cuts nicely.
Old 03-11-2015, 01:16 PM
miller43360
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
I just picked up Mossberg model 141 serial# 1309US as a bare action. Looking for the parts to restore the old girl now. I know she is an early model from the serial number, but can anyone tell me the years she was made? ..
Old 09-19-2015, 11:49 AM
jeep44

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I was going to add my new 144US to the list, but I see it is already there-#1464, formerly owned by "FW!". I purchased it from a dealer with a gunshop at the Novi MAAC show today. He had about 3 or 4 more Mossbergs, and I think he said he had gotten them all from the same seller. I know I've met "FW!" once or twice at this show, but I see he hasn't posted here for a couple of years.I hope he's all right.
Anyway, this is the first 144US I've ever seen at a local show, and I couldn't get my wallet out fast enough to buy it! My collection of US .22 rifles is just about complete-I doubt I'll ever be able to step up to the Springfields.

Here's a couple of photos of the markings:

Last edited by jeep44; 09-19-2015 at 12:00 PM.
Old 04-10-2016, 07:32 PM
dougphillips

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Hi all. Been lurking for quite a while, but this is my first time posting. First, I'd just like to thank everyone for all the information on this forum. I've learned a lot here, and now I finally have something worth contributing.... I've owned it for a while. Got it at my LGS, and finally got around to digging it out and taking some pics.

Serial #0039, BBL is 27 1/4", .875" at muzzle, .910" just forward of the receiver, receiver is .925", and has "Circle P" and "ac-kro-gruv" markings. From what I've seen in others pics, it looks to me to be a birch stock. I don't know much about sights, the rear is a Redfield, I don't know what the front is. The magazine is a 10 rd. and looks newer than the rest of the gun, so I'm assuming it is not original, but it is what the gun came with when I got it.

Best regards,
Doug

Last edited by dougphillips; 04-11-2016 at 11:16 PM. Reason: Fixed the pictures.