Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 04-28-2011, 09:31 PM
wetdog1911

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
ACE magazine speed loader or assist?

I've had those *mag-loaders* for my S&W M-41 and Ruger MKI for years.

The ones that slide over the mag, catch the magazine button and are depressed with the thumb. Cost ~$3.50 back in the day and I have several for each pistol.

I also have a Series70 SM ACE along with 6 mags to fill up. I'm also 62+ and have a good dose of RA in both hands, especially the thumbs. The ACE doesn't get shot that much since it is so problematic for me to load the mags, beyond 5 rnds anyway.

Is there anything on the market, or even a DIY solution?

I'm kinda doubtful about the marketplace with so few ACE's around, so I'm really hopeful with the DIY that someone may have come up with.

I HAD the idea of hiring a sweet young thing to load magazines for me, but the wife wasn't so hot on the idea and has her own 1911, so ...............

Any thoughts?

Wet
Old 04-29-2011, 03:34 PM
bangbang
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
SYT would be my first choice.

Heres a trick some old fart, maybe like you, showed me many years ago. Its something you can passdown to some young one.

you need to be wearing pants/shorts with belt loops to use this trick.

get a piece of string about 12~18" long (30.5~45.7 cm) tie the ends togeather and then pass the string under one of the belt loops in front and thread one end thru the other end so that the string is captured around the belt loop. Then use the free end of the string to wrap around the Follower stud on the mag (the round part that cuts your finger). depending on how you hold the mag, you pull/push the the mag and the string around the stud will be pulled back allowing you to load the mag with ease.
Old 04-29-2011, 07:46 PM
wayne38

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Ace Magazine Loading Assistance

Wetdog,
I can't claim the original idea for someone on RFC told us to use a plastic bottle cap for those magazine where the button extends past the surface of the side of the magazine and it works. What I do claim credit for is notching those plastic bottle caps using either a hacksaw or bandsaw to fit the notch in the sides of recessed magazines. I'm making them to fit almost every gun that I have.

If you want to spend about $20 then get a Lucky's Loader off AuctionArms.com. I have yet to find a magazine that it can't be made to work with.

Wayne38
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2011, 09:39 AM
JudgeColt
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The Colt Ace and Service Model Ace have a very "flat" loading assist button that is recessed in a depression on the magazine. I suspect the "button grabber" solutions offered will not work with these magazines. The string idea might work if there is enough room between the back of the button and the magazine body, but I suspect it will not. A loader that depresses the cartridges from the top seems like the only solution, and I know of no such loader for these magazines.

On further reflection, shaping a bottle cap in two places to fit into the depression exactly probably would allow the button to be caught inside the cap and held down while loading, but an unaltered cap would not even touch the button.
Old 04-30-2011, 09:59 PM
wayne38

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Service ACE Magazine Loader

WetDog,
PM me your snail-mail address. I went down to my shop today and made two out of bottle caps. They work like a charm on my New service Ace. If you haven't already made one I'll send you one of them. We need to patent this idea.

Wayne38

Last edited by wayne38; 04-30-2011 at 10:05 PM.
Old 04-30-2011, 10:27 PM
jerryg22
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
96% (40)
Check out MarvelPrecision.com Their mags are like the Ace and I believe they offer a loader.
Old 05-01-2011, 01:15 AM
CoastieN70
US Coast Guard Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Butler Creek makes a "Baby UP-LULA" that should work well. It's designed to load single stack .22 throught .380 mags.

Their regular Up-LULA loads single and double stack full size mags and is an outstanding performer...
Old 05-01-2011, 09:59 AM
JudgeColt

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The "Baby UP-LULA" information says the loader will not load "Converted magazines," whatever those are. I wonder if that was intended to refer to Conversion Unit magazines, which are the same as Service Model Ace magazines?
Old 05-01-2011, 08:56 PM
wayne38

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
The reason that the BABY UP-LULA won't work on conversion magazines is because the follower does not extend the width of the magazine. The excess space that exists, because of the centerfire case is longer, is taken up by a blank chamber against the back of the magazine. The depressor tounge on the loader cocks the follower causing it to jam. Found this out with the Lucky Loader. It could be made to work but there would be an awful lot of metal removal.

Wayne38
Old 05-02-2011, 12:43 AM
JudgeColt

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
So when Butler Creek says "Converted Magazines," it really means "Conversion Unit Magazines." Correct?
Old 05-02-2011, 07:24 PM
wayne38

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Judge,
I've never seen that statement but I would assume that was what they were talking about. I was surprised that the Lucky's Loader didn't work for that was the first of about 50 different magazines that didn't. Pressing on the heel of the follower causes it to cam up and lock. I think the principal would work but you would need to extend the depressor tounge further from the heel. That notched bottle cap is too easy to make and works too well for me to go any further. If you need one let me know. Takes about 5 minutes to make it now that I've got the technique down pat.

Wayne38
Old 05-05-2011, 01:47 PM
wetdog1911

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne38 View Post
WetDog,
PM me your snail-mail address. I went down to my shop today and made two out of bottle caps. They work like a charm on my New service Ace. If you haven't already made one I'll send you one of them. We need to patent this idea.

Wayne38
Wayne,

Will do, having internet problems and can only get on a few minutes at the time. After 2 visits, it's somewhere in the cable co's stuff and they are coming again today to try and trace the problem back.

Wet
Old 05-06-2011, 08:07 PM
wayne38

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Wetdog,
It went out in the morning mail so you should have it by Monday or Tuesday. Let me know if it doesn't work and we can make a new one.

Wayne38
Old 05-21-2011, 12:28 PM
wetdog1911

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne38 View Post
Wetdog,
It went out in the morning mail so you should have it by Monday or Tuesday. Let me know if it doesn't work and we can make a new one.

Wayne38
wayne, THANK YOU!!!!!!

My internet went from sketchy to nonexistent and hopefully now, all is well. Of course the problem was with their lines and not with my stuff like they kept insisting on.

Anyway, the cap worked a treat. Haven't been able to get out to shoot yet, but running the button down for all 10 rounds is a snap, even with my deformed thumbs.

Too bad the market is so small, it looks to be easy to set up tooling for some production.

Again, thanks!!!!!!!!!

Wet
Old 05-27-2011, 11:05 PM
dcrosso
US Navy NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Functional 22 magazine loading tool

When loading my Colt 22 conversion unit magazines and my Ruger 22/45 mags I just tear off one of the 22 ammo box cardboard side end flaps and apply it to the loading button with my thumb on top. I press down loading button with the cardboard and proceed to load the rounds. It takes a little practice to be proficient but it works to keep me from wearing out the end of my thumb. They are readily available and can just be thrown away at the end of the shooting session.