TPC Rating: 
100% (1)

It's 5.
Old 01-29-2011, 10:52 PM
jseal
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I am expecting a new scope in the next couple of days. When I get it on and sighted in I will be all in on this shoot. Thanks guys for coming up with this and generating so much excitement on here.
Old 01-30-2011, 12:28 AM
titanium_frost

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Ok, so let me get this straight. You have to shoot .25 or 1/4 inch groups to qualify, and if you do that then you can't use that rifle anymore? I am now officially confused.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2011, 12:31 AM
597forLife

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
I say then you move to the .15 class
Old 01-30-2011, 12:34 AM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by titanium_frost View Post
Ok, so let me get this straight. You have to shoot .25 or 1/4 inch groups to qualify, and if you do that then you can't use that rifle anymore? I am now officially confused.
Go for 50 yds after the 25 yd success you'll have. We will probably start other more challenging games down the line. You could get a Mag and try again.
Its all written in the opening post.

Last edited by Al the Infidel; 01-30-2011 at 12:36 AM.
Old 01-30-2011, 12:38 AM
Al the Infidel

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 597forLife View Post
I say then you move to the .15 class
They have a Zeros class. Shilen country..............
Old 01-30-2011, 01:28 AM
titanium_frost

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al the Infidel View Post
Go for 50 yds after the 25 yd success you'll have. We will probably start other more challenging games down the line. You could get a Mag and try again.
Its all written in the opening post.
Sorry, mine wont do .25 for 5 shots at 25 yards. I'll give it a shot though. I don't understand the not using that rifle again part.
Old 01-30-2011, 07:04 AM
597er

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Ok, count me in for the 50 yard test..............

Old 01-30-2011, 11:19 AM
ammohog

TPC Rating: 
100% (10)
Do all 4 groups of 5 have to be 1/4" at 25 yards?

At 50 yards, do all 4 groups of 5 have to be 1/2" or better? If like SuperStock, the 50 yard groups - 3 of the four 5 shot groups 1/2" or better, but the average of the 4 groups 1/2" or better?

Guess this game is too tuff for my stock 597. I don't think mine will do 1/4" at 25 yards. I'll try, still got a brick of SK+ left..... Wish me luck! Trouble is, the wind blows here until about May.

I thought this was going to be a monthly "fun" shoot with cheap ammo.

Don't forget to post what has been modified with your rifle, from parts to barrel and/or custom work. Makes for a good read.

Good luck fellers. AH

Last edited by ammohog; 01-30-2011 at 11:46 AM. Reason: misspletted a wurrd
Old 01-30-2011, 12:34 PM
Al the Infidel

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
You may qualify in both the 25 and 50 yd contest with the same gun, but can not reenter with the same gun in the same contest.

1~You must shoot 4 measuring holes, add and divide by 4 to get the average size of the hole. Bullet holes aren't always exactly the same size. Keep the measuring holes far enough away from the target groups so they can't be mistaken for flyers.

2~You must shoot 4 groups on the same piece of paper.

3~You must shoot 5 shot groups. That will be a total of 20 shots plus 4 shots for measuring holes. 24 shots total per entry.

4~You must measure the widest dia. of each target group, and then subtract the average dia. of the measuring hole from each of 4 targets groups. Write it on the target so we all can double check the figures.

5~You must then add all 4 targets and divide by 4 for the contest average.

6~All targets do not have to be under .25", but the average of all 4 targets must be .25" or less.

7~Show your math, sign and date the target.

8~Failure to follow the above rules will disqualify your entry.

Show a picture of your 597 with your entry so we know its not a 10/22.

I will repost, enter, this post in my initial, 1st 597 Challenge post. I can't make this any more simple guys.

Tip-Have your bullet holes, point of impact, POI, hit the target below your point of aim, POA, so as not to destroy your POA. Kinda hard to shoot at a + when it gets obliterated by bullet holes eh?
Old 01-30-2011, 08:27 PM
WHO DAT 504

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Went out today to try and make the "half inch club". Again, weather was great, high 60's with little to no wind. Used same setup as in the "quarter inch club", which is a std. model 597, VQ hammer, and a Mueller APV. Used CCI std. velocity ammo and a Caldwell Lead Sled:

On to the Magnum.....
Old 01-30-2011, 09:09 PM
Al the Infidel

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Congratulations WHO DAT on being the first qual in the 1/2" @ 50 yd club, and being the first to qual in both 597 Challenge 25 and 50 yd games.
Old 01-30-2011, 10:00 PM
Al the Infidel

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Hey guys, if you gave it a shot and didn't quite make it, tell us, show us a pic, and maybe we can help you get the most out of your 597. I know some of you now know it isn't quite as easy as it seems. It took some of the guys in SuperStock 10/22 land quite a while to make it and many didn't but gave it their all, and told their stories of how close, and what they did and what they used trying. Ain't no shame in coming close, as long as you give it your best.
Old 01-30-2011, 10:29 PM
WHO DAT 504

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Good point Al, as I came close many times while coming up short. Shot many hundreds of rounds and it took mods, decent ammo, decent scope, a rest and a lot of practice before I shot my first one. I had a lot of fun and learned a lot along the way.
Old 02-02-2011, 12:08 PM
newtmaker
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

This will probably be tougher than I expected. My 597 is not a tackdriver most of the time. I got these results yesterday on a very nice day at our range. Looking for some input as to the number of attempts on a single target. I decided to use this type target as I am used to it. But, as you can see, there are more than 5 groups there. Do we only shoot 5 groups per page and then hope that eventually we get one target that qualifies?
I ended up using some old Remington Target ammo that had not been very good in the past. This time around it was decent, but I still missed the goal I guess.
I bought some more ammo this morning so will be trying some more soon!

Walt