Daisy Avanti 853 Received!!! - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 12-30-2010, 07:44 PM
Herzo
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Wink Daisy Avanti 853 Received!!!

Just received my 853 from Pyramyd Air. Ordered on Tuesday evening, delivered on Thursday morning - not bad. First impression is I got what I paid for.

The stock is a reasonably well finished piece of what appears to be birch and the fit of the rifle to the stock is decent.

The first thing that I did was to install all 3 of the 1/2" buttstock spacers. I'll know better if I need them all once I start some serious shooting. I'm 5' 10" but I'm certain that 2 of the spacers will be necessary.

The trigger, while it needs some help, is better than I expected - the weight and letoff is somewhat inconsistent, but it will undoubtedly get better with time and a little work.

I put a dozen 3 shot groups at 10 meters through it as it came. I was shooting from inside my garage to the target outdoors. It was a little windy with light rain, but I wanted to see how it shot. It wasn't too bad, no group was larger than 5/16" and RWS Meisterkugeln cut one ragged hole. Other pellets that I tried were RWS Diablo, Crosman Premier and Beeman H&N. Once I get to my club with a decent indoor bench, I will be able to really wring it out.

The rear sight was what I would consider acceptable, a cast base with plastic components and steel screws controlling the windage and elevation. Clicks were positive and motion was smooth. Not a premium sight by any means but certainly good enough for my purposes.

The front sight is another story. A sheet metal affair that was spot welded to the tuner. Inserts are soft steel that bend easily when you try to change them. The spring loaded retainer is difficult to move and the insert tends to move in position. The selection of inserts was pitiful. Not even up to my low expectations.

I had purchased the 853 anticipating that I would need to do something to improve the sights. Within 3 hours of opening the box, I had pulled out my Dremel tool, cut the front sight off of the tuner and mounted a 3/8" dovetail in its place. On to that I mounted a Lyman #93 globe sight (compatible with Anschutz inserts) -- Minor Problem -- rear sight was too low. Fortunately, I had an Avanti rear aperture sight that I had purchased in an attempt to make my Crosman 3100 shoot (another story).

Without the sights on hand, I would probably been better off purchasing the 753.

I managed to get the sights roughed in and hope to get out to the club tomorrow. I don't think that I will be disappointed.

More to follow.

Last edited by Herzo; 12-30-2010 at 07:46 PM.
Old 12-30-2010, 08:00 PM
Pat McCoy

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
You'll have lots of fun with the Daisy. When in doubt use larger apertures rather than smaller.

When you are ready to improve the trigger see: http://www.pilkguns.com/daisy853tm.shtml
Old 12-30-2010, 08:02 PM
ss1
US Air Force NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Let us know how you came out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2010, 08:37 PM
TCups
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat McCoy View Post
You'll have lots of fun with the Daisy. When in doubt use larger apertures rather than smaller.

When you are ready to improve the trigger see: http://www.pilkguns.com/daisy853tm.shtml

My 853 likes RWS Hobby (7.0 gr) for 10-meter shooting. You might also order some of the Vogel "Orange" (practice) pellets (8.3 gr) from Pilks, and maybe some of the Eddleman 10-meter paper targets.

Enjoy!
Old 12-30-2010, 09:39 PM
Herzo

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat McCoy View Post

I've already opened up the rear aperture. I have a complete set of clear apertures from Champion Shooters for the Lyman (2.4mm to 4.2mm). I like about a 10 to 20% "halo" around the target.

Trigger work is in my future plans.
Old 12-30-2010, 09:56 PM
aom22
US Air Force Disabled American Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
New Air Rifle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herzo View Post
Just received my 853 from Pyramyd Air.
Congraulations
Any pictures?
Old 12-30-2010, 10:10 PM
Herzo

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aom22 View Post
Congraulations
Any pictures?
Took a couple of shots of the front sight rework, I'll try to get some together tomorrow.
Old 12-31-2010, 04:48 PM
Herzo

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)

Original front sight

Removed

Drill and tap for the dovetail

Fit the Lyman 93 Globe

Back on the rifle

Avanti rear aperture mounted.

Ready to go out and play

Took it to the club this morning, The guys are ready to ban me. For some reason, the RWS 8.2 grain Meisterkugelns just want to keep going into the same hole at 10 meters. Other pellets (RWS Diablos, Beeman H&N, Stoger X-Sports) are decent, but the MK's just blow them away.
The front sight was just a little high, but I was able to lower it by 0.075" and that seems to bring me to where I need to be to match the height of the rear aperture. I may want to bring it down a little more, but that can wait til I get some time on the rifle.
Old 12-31-2010, 05:07 PM
TCups

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Very impressive! Nice work on the sights. Are you going to re-work the trigger, too?

I use silicone-based air compressor oil (from the local hardware store) and put a tiny drop from a hypodermic needle on the exposed portion of the seal (exposed when the cocking lever is fully opened) every 500-1000 rounds to maintain consistent velocities.

If the Miesterklug's are working, great. Sounds like it. But you might still want to try some of the Vogel "Orange" or "Green" pellets from Pilkguns.com. I think they are 8.3 gr, and are very high quality and very consistent. The "Green" pellets can be ordered by lot# and diameter, too, depending on whether your barrel likes a tighter or looser fit.

Nice air rifle.
Old 12-31-2010, 05:28 PM
Herzo

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCups View Post
Very impressive! Nice work on the sights. Are you going to re-work the trigger, too?

I use silicone-based air compressor oil (from the local hardware store) and put a tiny drop from a hypodermic needle on the exposed portion of the seal (exposed when the cocking lever is fully opened) every 500-1000 rounds to maintain consistent velocities.

If the Miesterklug's are working, great. Sounds like it. But you might still want to try some of the Vogel "Orange" or "Green" pellets from Pilkguns.com. I think they are 8.3 gr, and are very high quality and very consistent. The "Green" pellets can be ordered by lot# and diameter, too, depending on whether your barrel likes a tighter or looser fit.

Nice air rifle.
Trigger work will come in time, the present arrangement is not really terrible - right at 4# with some excess travel. It seems to be smoothing out as I use it.

I'll probably stay with the MK's - the guys that I shoot with really gave me a bad time until I told them that they were only about a buck more than the Crosman pellets that they are shooting ($9.00/500 vs $7.60/500). If I show up with pellets costing twice that much, they will string me up. One of the guys was going to buy some Beeman H&N's so I'm probably safe enough.

We have several guys shooting these 853's (CMP surplus), all are decent some are exceptional. I suspect that the choice of pellet is what really makes them shine.
Old 12-31-2010, 06:12 PM
TCups

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
A friend of mine bought three of them as used club guns a few years ago. He re-worked the triggers to a crisp 1.5#, re-finished the wood and added an adjustable rubber butt plates. He sold me one of them for less than the cost of new one. Great little shooters, but a bit lightweight for me.

Old 01-01-2011, 09:51 PM
SingleSixConvert
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks for the review, and keep us posted! I just ordered the 5-shot version of same: it should be here in a couple days.

Jim
Old 01-04-2011, 09:12 PM
Herzo

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Had our Tuesday morning benchrest shoot today, everyone has switched to the Avantis. Shot the first target (NC AR 10), scores are 95 or better for everyone. We decided that in order to make it interesting, we needed to move the targets to 12 meters. Shot 5 more targets and the competition remained tight. Mid 90's are the norm and it takes 97 or better to win.

Certainly competetive for the price.
Old 01-13-2011, 11:28 PM
22king
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (66)
my brother has one

he has one and it feels great to shoot. and its on the cheap side for ammo. not like some 22lr's at upwards of $22.00 box of 50
Old 01-14-2011, 08:59 PM
Charlotte
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (-1)
Congratulations on your 853! Great choice. I have an 853 loaned out to my nephew and I'm currently shooting my 753. I did the minimal trigger work, which means I did not put the screw in behind the trigger guard to remove the first stage. Just cutting the notches as per the instructions on the Pilkguns website reduced my triggerpull down to about 2 lbs.
I'm using my Avanti strictly as a training aid for my smallbore/lightrifle matches and have replaced the sights with a 4X scope.