Is Smallbore Position Shooting Dead? - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.
Closed Thread

Old 10-13-2010, 01:13 AM
23's Dad
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Is Smallbore Position Shooting Dead?

Some of us are looking to get our rifles into a new 3P/4P RFC on-line match.
We're still brainstorming, but there is some interest in having an optical sighted class.

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...d.php?t=358494

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...7&postcount=20

Take a look at some of the posts, and give us a +1 or a comment if you'd like to use your baby the way she was designed...
Old 10-20-2010, 11:17 AM
Charlotte
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (-1)
I've been reluctant to respond to this post, but after a pm, I decided to make my thoughts on "online" matches public.
Pretty much my thoughts are that the scores shot in online matches by people who are not participants in regular events requiring attendance are questionable. I'm not saying all are questionable, but enough to leave me disheartened. I've participated in two separate such online matches and have seen Master Classification scores by people who have never shot in a conventional match. When someone who has never shot offhand posts scores in the mid 90's I don't believe it. In both of those matches I left the websites completely.
There should not be a great difference in the scores of online matches and scores shot at conventional events, but there is.
A few times I have posted scores in our prone match here on RFC and I have no problem with what I've seen there, but the people who participate there are competitors and their scores are representative of the kinds of scores they post in attended matches.
I don't have a solution to the problem, but I've lost my interest in "online" matches.

Last edited by Charlotte; 10-21-2010 at 08:33 PM.
Old 10-20-2010, 11:45 AM
23's Dad

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Sorry to hear...

Charlotte,

I hope that won't be our experience here. Once we get this rolling, take a look, and see if you may be interested.

Here's an honest score:
https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...1&postcount=51

I know exactly how you feel. I also golf, and get routinely "beaten" by a friend who doesn't follow the spirit of the rules...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2010, 11:15 AM
CZ452UltraLux

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thumbs up 4P Position Online Match ready for your scores.

4P NRA Smallbore & Light Rifle Position Online Match rules updated
and ready for you to post the scores after your next trip to the range.

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...=358494&page=4

Charlotte,
I see your point vividly and how that may be discouraging. I hope this won't happen to us.
But I see the online match format as the only way to get people with minimal position shooting experience to participate, build their skills and enter the regular NRA events. I myself could not find a position shooting group/club within 100 miles and I'm sure others have found similar.

Our attempt is mainly to have fun, discuss tips, and compete against our own score through the NRA Ladder system.

Please visit our main thread once in a while and PM 23's Dad or myself if you see issues. Thanks.
Old 10-21-2010, 08:30 PM
Charlotte

TPC Rating: 
0% (-1)
I get the point of online and postal matches and my best wishes for you all in your matches and hope your experience isn't the same as mine. In one of those online matches I was referring to one of the participants eventually admitted to shooting all three targets (standing, seated and prone) from the prone position using a rest.
You might want to look at the A-32 target as an alternative target. It's a little friendlier and the cmp targets are friendlier still. All are good targets but the A-17 is more of an International smallbore target and therefore a bit more intimidating to a new shooter in a position match.

Last edited by Charlotte; 10-21-2010 at 08:46 PM.
Old 10-21-2010, 11:48 PM
23's Dad

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Thanks for the advice!

You aren't kidding about that A-17 being little! We'll take a look at the A-32 and CMP targets too.
Old 10-22-2010, 07:48 AM
Charlotte

TPC Rating: 
0% (-1)
Our Light Rifle program at RBGC is geared toward a low/lower cost competition alternative and our experience is showing that at 50 feet CCI Std Vel is the best ammo for the price and shoots well in every rifle we've tried it in. I've never been a big CCI fan, but at this distance it is every bit as good as Wolf and SK. Part of the reasoning behind our shooting at 50 feet when we have a range that accommodates longer distances is that pretty much any rifle and ammo can be competetive at that distance. Once a competition becomes an equipment race we feel that it winds up discouraging participation. Our match is NRA sanctioned and rifles must weigh no more that 8 1/2 lbs and trigger must be no lighter than 2 lbs. Adjustable buttplates must be in the centered neutral position and no hooks are allowed.
Old 10-22-2010, 06:47 PM
CZ452UltraLux

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte View Post
Our Light Rifle program at RBGC is geared toward a low/lower cost competition alternative and our experience is showing that at 50 feet CCI Std Vel is the best ammo for the price and shoots well in every rifle we've tried it in. I've never been a big CCI fan, but at this distance it is every bit as good as Wolf and SK. Part of the reasoning behind our shooting at 50 feet when we have a range that accommodates longer distances is that pretty much any rifle and ammo can be competetive at that distance. Once a competition becomes an equipment race we feel that it winds up discouraging participation. Our match is NRA sanctioned and rifles must weigh no more that 8 1/2 lbs and trigger must be no lighter than 2 lbs. Adjustable buttplates must be in the centered neutral position and no hooks are allowed.
Yes, these are pretty much the same rules we are using for Light Rifle class, and using the A-32 target as well. But we also have a separate Conventional 4P class for the expensive rifles to have fun too.
Closed Thread