52c blued muzzles and all other 52 crown pics - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 06-26-2010, 09:29 PM
HawaiiPD
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)

I agree, but I have not used a bore brush on the barrel, only oiled patches since I acquired these two in the early '80s. There were decades between when I bought and shot these guns.

I don't want to hijack this thread on muzzles, please PM me on suggestions on
how to use a brush on the bore. I have new bronze cored not steel cored .22
center fire brushes, Balistol, Breakfree and others. I have a bore guide, but it
hits the comb of the stock, sooo..

Thanks.
Old 06-27-2010, 06:35 AM
AJK 547

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Earyl 52C Std. Wt.

Just an FYI, below is a pic from an 'early' 52C Std. Wt.:

Old 01-23-2011, 08:38 PM
3Dub
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Recessed crown for a fairly late "E":

that's NOT rust; it's packaging "dust"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2011, 12:22 AM
BE Wild Willy
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Dub View Post
Recessed crown for a fairly late "E":

that's NOT rust; it's packaging "dust"
Now that's what I'd call a recessed muzzle.
Old 01-05-2012, 12:38 AM
Graft213

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I've got a recessed crown too! It's a 52B with a stainless bull barrel by A&M, a Canjar trigger. The stock maker is unknown. If anyone has any ideas, please let me know.

Last edited by Graft213; 01-05-2012 at 02:16 PM.
Old 01-05-2012, 04:41 PM
BrianJ
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
Crown

I suspect your recessed crown was done much later than the original barrel installation, (late 50's). Bill Atkinson your barrel maker used a unique 11 degree crown. The recessed crown didn't show up as such until Winchester introduced it in 1969 with the "E" model. Then a lot of shooters wanted on the band wagon.

bjm

Last edited by BrianJ; 01-05-2012 at 04:43 PM.
Old 01-05-2012, 09:54 PM
M52E1
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The barrel is an Atkinson and Marquate (SP?) and I believe they were from Prescott, AZ. Later the M was dropped and they became Atkison barrels. Both varieties are well known for their quality and I have a 52D with an Atkinson barrel which was installed by Karl Kenyon and the trigger is a Kenyon. I shot is last year at a match in NJ in August and once I got the adjustments set correctly it really showed its potential. The Atkinson barrel was printing groups at 50yds and 50 meters whcih were exceptionall and I had several 19X targets. It also showed great potential at 100yds with the right ammunition.

I hope to get it really running this coming year with ammo matched to the barrel. Good luck with your rifle and A&M barrel.

Your stock looks almost like the offset stock that come from Australia but I cannot remember who makes them. I believe they are marketed by MT Guns and the name Mastin comes to mind.

Bill
Old 01-05-2012, 10:02 PM
BrianJ
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
stock

Actually, the stock is a late 50's Dunlap, nothing exotic from Australia.

bjm

Last edited by BrianJ; 01-05-2012 at 10:33 PM.
Old 01-06-2012, 04:01 PM
Graft213

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks for the info on the stock! The combination of heavy/dense stock material and bull barrel makes for one HEAVY rifle. I nick-named this beast "Blonde Bertha".

I have been able to shoot a few clover-leafed/overlapping groups at 100 yds off of a bench when there is little to no wind.

I got "Blondie" in a trade for an old Kimber Compact 1911 and so far I think I came out ahead in the deal.

My only nit-pick is with the butt-pad which has an adjustable/removable crook (not pictured). If you look at the circumferenced/width of the butt stock, you can see that it doesn't match the diameter of the butt-plate. I initially thought it wasn't the original butt plate installed when the customization was done, so I removed the butt-plate, but didn't find any other screw holes.

Either it is original and the butt stock wasn't tapered to match the dimensions of the metal butt-plate or it was replaced with the current metal butt-plate which matched the original butt-plate screw hole dimensions. Either way it doesn't really matter becuase she's a real shooter.

Last edited by Graft213; 01-06-2012 at 04:15 PM.
Old 01-06-2012, 04:43 PM
BrianJ
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
stock

That fitting of a butt assy fitting flush with the wood is more not true than true. To me it appears to be an original Dunlap base. I might suggest that the stock and butt assy were purchased as semi finished and the shooter or smith did the assembly work. Dunlap sold both finished and semi-finished. Had Dunlap done the work he would have attached the base and sanded all to fit.

bjm
Old 12-22-2012, 11:33 AM
fivetwo

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
where is barrel stamping?

i just bought a 1956 model 52C. i have just started collecting/shooting 52's and am trying to learn as much as possible.
i never thought about the possibility that the barrel on the gun i bought might not be the original. i hope it is.
in reading the posts i have a barrel that has the front sight mount screwed on, not dovetailed. the muzzle is shiny, but the blue on the barrel seems just slightly lighter than the bluing on the receiver. is this a problem?
also, several posts mentioned a barrel stamping. does this mean the date on which the barrel was made. where can i find the stamping?
thanks.
Old 12-22-2012, 11:50 AM
JohnOhio
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fivetwo View Post
i just bought a 1956 model 52C. i have just started collecting/shooting 52's and am trying to learn as much as possible.
i never thought about the possibility that the barrel on the gun i bought might not be the original. i hope it is.
in reading the posts i have a barrel that has the front sight mount screwed on, not dovetailed. the muzzle is shiny, but the blue on the barrel seems just slightly lighter than the bluing on the receiver. is this a problem?
also, several posts mentioned a barrel stamping. does this mean the date on which the barrel was made. where can i find the stamping?
thanks.
Sounds like your barrel is rust blued which is the best bluing! The muzzle will be shiny because the rust blue procedure would damage the bore! Your action should be a deep rich blue and will look darker than the barrel! Rust blued barrels have a silver looking blue and not as dark looking as the conventional blued guns! To see the barrel stamp-you have to take it out of the stock! Its underneath on the barrel where it is screwed into the action!
Old 12-23-2012, 01:35 PM
fivetwo

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
sounds like the real mccoy

thanks, john, sounds like i hopefully have the real mccoy. i will check the stamping also. if i understand correctly, the stamping will be the year of the barrel's manufacture.
thanks again,
five two
Old 05-30-2015, 12:10 AM
Underthegun

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I've been trying to make sense of this thread. I have a 1952 52C with a blued muzzle and the 2 screw holes for the front sight. Is that common or not?

Old 07-20-2016, 03:05 PM
mazzman
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Crowned 52D Heavy Target barrel in a custom Prone / 3P stock:

Last edited by mazzman; 08-30-2016 at 09:34 PM.