Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-21-2010, 09:06 AM
dwsschatte
US Army Disabled American Veteran

TPC Rating: 
75% (2)

I'm lurkin...and thinkin

Anyone from the black leather boot military should have no problem with this method.
Old 03-21-2010, 11:10 AM
woodstock63
National Guard Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwsschatte View Post
I'm lurkin...and thinkin

Anyone from the black leather boot military should have no problem with this method.
Yes sir.

It can be anything from a nice soft matte to a "spit shine."
Old 03-22-2010, 07:36 PM
SHRADK
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Woodstock,
Could a person premix the Armor-All and True-Oil in a container say 1:1 before applying to stock?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2010, 08:23 PM
Chris597

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
For what it's worth, I bought 2 Winchester stock sets in EXTRA Fancy Walnut, should be here Thursday. I'm excited for that project (1890 and 1906 both). I'm close to finishing the other 2 stocks I have in process right now. I have been on the road traveling so work on those had to sit.
Old 03-22-2010, 08:54 PM
woodstock63

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHRADK View Post
Woodstock,
Could a person premix the Armor-All and True-Oil in a container say 1:1 before applying to stock?
I haven't tried that but it has entered my mind. I plan on doing it myself on a scrap of prepared Walnut when I get a chance. If you get there before me let us all know please.

It may take a bit of trial and error because I'd guess the mix might be closer to 1/3rd ArmorAll and 2/3rds Tru-Oil, if not 1/4 to 3/4. Use a short clean glass or old plate and just mix enough to test it. (Maybe use an eyedropper at first; IE: 1 drop ArmorAll to 3 drops or of Tru-Oil. If that works use a Tablespoon. When you hit on the "formula" keep the mix in an airtight jar.

That's strictly a guess based on the fact that most of the ArmorAll excess is softly wiped off so there's a light visible (not rubbed in ) film. It really doesn't take much Armor-All for the reaction to take effect.
The key to the mix will be; is it slick and dry to the touch within 5-10 minutes?
If it takes 10-15 minutes longer than that, up the ArmorAll a bit.
Old 03-22-2010, 09:00 PM
woodstock63

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris597 View Post
For what it's worth, I bought 2 Winchester stock sets in EXTRA Fancy Walnut, should be here Thursday. I'm excited for that project (1890 and 1906 both). I'm close to finishing the other 2 stocks I have in process right now. I have been on the road traveling so work on those had to sit.
Great on the Extra Fancy Walnut. Remember to keep us posted with before and after photos.

Do you mean to tell us that you can't drive and work on your stocks at the same time?

Old 03-22-2010, 09:00 PM
Don Fenton
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
woodstock63,
Coach, thanks for not giving up on me. With your help and patience I've got the "elixir formula " working just as you said it would. A couple more coats then I'm going to let it dry / harden for several days then knock down the sheen with some 4/0 steel wool.

I'll send a photo when completed & assembled.
Thanks again my friend.

Don

PS, I'll start modifying a second laminated stock soon, and will use the elixir formula from scratch.

Last edited by Don Fenton; 03-22-2010 at 09:03 PM.
Old 03-22-2010, 09:19 PM
woodstock63

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Fenton View Post
woodstock63,
Coach, thanks for not giving up on me. With your help and patience I've got the "elixir formula " working just as you said it would. A couple more coats then I'm going to let it dry / harden for several days then knock down the sheen with some 4/0 steel wool.

I'll send a photo when completed & assembled.
Thanks again my friend.

Don

PS, I'll start modifying a second laminated stock soon, and will use the elixir formula from scratch.
That's fantastic and you are more than welcome.

We're looking forward to the photos.

To everyone monitoring this process, be sure to back check some of the previous posts because some great questions have come up and solutions /tips have been added as we go.

Old 03-22-2010, 09:46 PM
tnsnakebite

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have been following this thread from the start. I check in often to see the latest. Hope everyone keeps the interest and posts many success stories and pics!
Old 03-23-2010, 12:41 AM
Chris597

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Yes, we need a refinishing forum, wood, blue, barrel liners etc....
Old 03-23-2010, 11:36 AM
Chris597

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Here is the Remington 552 stock, way better than it was when I started. Kept with a satin finish on this one. Painted the aluminum receiver with Brownells gloss black Aluma Hyde, it turned out great. takes 7 days to cure so I will have a photo up next week of the completed gun. Please note, I tried to sand out the "press in" checkering on the forend, It seemed like I couldn't ever sand deep enough, There is still a shadow of the checkering there. Lesson learned, I will never try that again. Overall it is not noticable though. looks nice.

Last edited by Chris597; 03-23-2010 at 11:43 AM.
Old 03-23-2010, 12:01 PM
woodstock63

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
[QUOTE=Chris597;2863280Here is the Remington 552 stock, way better than it was when I started. Kept with a satin finish on this one. Painted the aluminum receiver with Brownells gloss black Aluma Hyde, it turned out great. takes 7 days to cure so I will have a photo up next week of the completed gun. Please note, I tried to sand out the "press in" checkering on the forend, It seemed like I couldn't ever sand deep enough, There is still a shadow of the checkering there. Lesson learned, I will never try that again. Overall it is not noticable though. looks nice.[/QUOTE]

Very, very nice Chris. Good job, it looks like the recipe did exactly as touted.

Does this now mean this will be your finishing method of choice?

I know about the checkering, especially the pressed jobs. I just finished a pre-WWII that was hand checkered but rather badly.
I ended up using a Dembart checkering single vee to carefully deepen and clean it up.

Old 03-23-2010, 01:46 PM
ek-marlin-424

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
I've got a handful of walnut stocks and a couple birch stocks in the basement that will eventually need finishing and I will try this method with one of the birch stocks. It sounds very promising. Taking two weeks to finish a stock with Tru-oil gets a little old.

I also looked into the Aniline dyes and I think I'll be using them on the birch stocks...
Old 03-23-2010, 02:26 PM
woodstock63

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ek-marlin-424 View Post
I've got a handful of walnut stocks and a couple birch stocks in the basement that will eventually need finishing and I will try this method with one of the birch stocks. It sounds very promising. Taking two weeks to finish a stock with Tru-oil gets a little old.

I also looked into the Aniline dyes and I think I'll be using them on the birch stocks...
You won't spend a third of that time with this method.

Once prepped I might spend anywhere from 1-3 days and it's ready to use.

Also, backtrack this post because there is some good info on Analine dyes and color mixing by others. I'm learning too.

Old 03-23-2010, 05:29 PM
Brett Mc

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
The results shown look great. I have in the past been a Minwax Antique Oil fan, finish looks great but there is an awful lot of rubbing and waiting (once a stock is stripped, the finish could take 10 days or more depending on how far you wanted to go). Another problem I had with the MAO, if the stock required some stain, it was virtually impossible not to remove the stain with the required bronze wooling of the MAO between coats.

This looks like a very good alternative. My next question is, is Tru Oil a generic name or is that the brand name and is it hard to find?

Thanks