Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 04-07-2010, 10:51 AM
stevo

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)

done and done, Thanks YoDave.

the 452 22wmr goes from 4lb 8oz to 1lb12oz -passed the mallet test too.

My 452 17wmr has gone from 5lb 4oz to 3lb 4oz

no shims used - the second strongest to the strongest springs used.

happy happy !!!

steve
Old 04-07-2010, 11:12 AM
OKShooter

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jv431 View Post
I installed the YoDave kit in my brother's 452 America 17HMR today. It was as easy as it could be. I used the second from the lightest spring and blue shim tube for the creep. Put it all together. It looked like it had a lot more than 40 thousands of engagement but during the bump test it fired two times. It never would fire while slamming the bolt closed. So I took it apart and replaced the spring with the next from the heaviest. Left the blue shim in for the creep. It is perfect with hardly no creep and the trigger breaks I would guess around 1 3/4lbs. Thanks again everyone for the information of how this is done. Thanks again OKShooter for all your work and knowledge.
jv431,
Great job! As you pointed out very well, a safe trigger is a balance between sear engagement and strength of trigger spring. Well done, your brother will be very pleased.

Thank you for the kind words. I was just trying to "pay it forward" for all of the great advice that I have received from this site. I rely heavily on the vast knowledge of our resident "experts". They make this place my favorite spot on the net.
Old 04-07-2010, 11:21 PM
Sturm

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Agreed....I saved this thread into my faves the instant I read the post OKShooter...My YoDave kit was mailed earlier this week.

Thanks for your very informative post.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2010, 04:31 PM
Ergoman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
thanks for the pics

Yo Dave should print them to include with the kits, they are an improvement. Got my 2 kits today and will install tonight.
Old 04-08-2010, 10:13 PM
Michael
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Put my YoDave in my CZ 452 Varmint tonight! Second heaviest spring and green shim. . . The creep was really bugging me at the range and this feels like it took care of it!

Woot YoDave!
Old 04-17-2010, 07:55 PM
Tinmanic

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Thumbs up

Thanks again for posting this. I did my first YoDave install today on my 455 American. I had a couple of observations/questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKShooter View Post
I obviously used YoDave's Kit. It comes with four springs of different strength, and four shimming tubes of different thicknesses.
First, on the shim thickness, the directions don't talk about how the red is actually the thickest shim, and the blue the thinnest. For example the instructions say the blue is 1/10000" and the red is 1/16000". It took me a while to noodle it out that this number doesn't refer to the thickness of the actual shim tube, but refers to the approx amount of sear engagement for each shim. The reason I was confused is that where I come from 1/10000 is thicker than 1/16000, and yet the red tube is thicker than the blue... So yeah, Dave might want to clarify that point, but not a big deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKShooter View Post
There is an obvious gap between the "shoulder" on the trigger and the face of the sear. The larger the gap, the more creep you are likely to feel in your trigger.
2) Isn't it the opposite of the way it is worded and shown here, or am I crazy? For me, I had the most creep from the factory with no space between the "shoulder" on the trigger and the face of the sear. The shims added gap where none existed previously, and reduced creep. So actually the bigger the gap you can get and still maintain engagement on the sear, the less creep you experience, correct?

Just for data sake, because I don't know if anyone has "yodaved" a 455 yet besides me, I didn't have a lot of creep in the factory trigger. I only could get away with a blue shim before going unsafe/uncockable. Also, the detent in the receiver of the 455 looks to be smaller in diameter or shallower than on the 452, and the yodave springs are wider then the factory spring and so do not fit that detent as well (but apparently good enough!) I haven't measured it yet, but the second heaviest spring feels best to me and passes the tests, and as mentioned, I had to go with the blue tube. When I try some of the other springs and shims from the kit on my 452FS, I'll know more to be able to compare the two.
Old 04-19-2010, 01:47 PM
OKShooter

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinmanic View Post
2) Isn't it the opposite of the way it is worded and shown here, or am I crazy? For me, I had the most creep from the factory with no space between the "shoulder" on the trigger and the face of the sear. The shims added gap where none existed previously, and reduced creep. So actually the bigger the gap you can get and still maintain engagement on the sear, the less creep you experience, correct?
Hey Tinmanic,
You are exactly correct. I probably was not real clear in my description.
The picture that you are talking about shows a stock trigger without any shimming tube in place. I am pulling the trigger with my thumb, and the gap is produced as I pull the trigger. If I release the trigger, the trigger moves forward and the gap disappears. All of this movement is possible without releasing the sear and firing pin. This is what I consider "creep" in my trigger.

I simply meant that if you are able to produce a large gap without releasing the sear, you will probably feel lots of creep in your trigger. If the sear releases as soon as you move the trigger, you will feel very little creep.

When you use a shimming tube from the YoDave kit, it keeps the trigger from returning to the "fully forward" position. This will leave a "permanent" gap between the shoulder of the trigger and the sear. And, as you stated correctly, this is what usually eliminates the creep.

I hope that is a little clearer.
Old 05-08-2010, 01:36 PM
Nerostarr

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
OKShooter, thanks for taking the time to create this post with pictures. It has really made installation of the Yodave kit much easier. I installed mine today on my American 16, and it went problem free. I used the blue tube and the 2nd lightest spring, excellent trigger with no creep at all.
Old 05-16-2010, 07:16 AM
MuskyJohn

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Make this a sticky!!!
Old 05-16-2010, 09:59 AM
Tinmanic

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
It is. Kinda...

The link to the thread is in the sticky: https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...d.php?t=333700
Old 08-05-2010, 08:56 PM
Rembolt

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
A word of caution when bump testing DO NOT bump test to hard .I installed the trigger kit and when I bump tested the rifle the tang of the action was tight to the stock which caused the stock to split behind the tang.now I am in for a new stock.
Old 08-05-2010, 09:03 PM
OKShooter

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rembolt View Post
A word of caution when bump testing DO NOT bump test to hard .I installed the trigger kit and when I bump tested the rifle the tang of the action was tight to the stock which caused the stock to split behind the tang.now I am in for a new stock.
Very sorry to hear that. It is a good word of caution.
I prefer to use a rubber mallet to perform the bump test. In fact, I often use the rubber mallet on the back of the receiver before I ever put the stock back on. That way, if there is an obvious problem with accidental discharge, I can correct it before I ever put the gun back together.

Last edited by OKShooter; 08-05-2010 at 10:31 PM.
Old 08-05-2010, 09:13 PM
Rembolt

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Yup I used a rubber hammer on the butt of the stock .it caused the action to move ever so slightly and split the stock .I didn't think I gave it that hard of a rap .but apparently there is room for movement .I only had the rifle 3 weeks I have contacted the retailer and he is going to try to find me a new stock.any ideas what a 452 american stock is worth.
Old 08-05-2010, 09:46 PM
iCreek

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks for posting, I ordered my YoDave trigger kit last Saturday, and pickup my new LUX this weekend. This should give me a good reference for when I want to mod the trigger.
Old 08-05-2010, 09:59 PM
Mr. Pick

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
I have a question for all you experienced YoDaver's. I put the black shim in my new Lux and thought I had it just right. But here's the deal. 9 out of 10 times there is zero creep and it breaks beautifully. But 1 time out of 10 it will have a little creep. Kind of throws you off when it happens. What should I do? Will going up to the red shim fix it? It's so perfect those 9 other times....