Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 02-14-2010, 05:12 PM
Seewin
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (59)
52d & E Database

Thought I would start a new thread on this subject. As of now I have over 350 D numbers and right at 200 E numbers.
Steve

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ethically, I cannot publish the database. I and George have made it clear from the onset that the serial numbers will not be published. This was done to alleviate any fear of the owners that they would see their gun number in the public domain. As I just finished answering this question to another individual, I can see publishing certain aspects of the database, such as "highest and lowest group of CMP rifles", or there were X number of Internationals made between s/n so and so, etc.
I would be happy to answer any questions on the database that I can answer w/o divulging serial numbers. As everyone who has read my posts know, I have not mentioned any full serial numbers in my posts unless they are mine or are already in the public domain, such as a gun on Gunbroker.
The reason for the database to begin with was somewhat different. George and I both started to collect serial numbers unbeknownst to each other. I was primarily interested in the E numbers just to get to the bottom of how many and of what configuration were actually out there. George was as I remember trying to determine some info on the D's. I know he was interested in knowing where and how many of the original production was contracted to the government. I recall sending him all the factory production records I had on the 52's. We figured we might as pool our efforts and so I just turned over all my records to him and he would up date me periodically with his findings and a revised copy of the data base. We would then discuss the findings and any patterns that we could discern from the info. Consequently the info was pretty slow in coming and to this day I have just a fraction of total production on record. It is encouraging to see certain patterns develop though. The standard weight barrel info mentioned earlier is one. This is the type of info I would like to get out to the public.
Steve
Old 02-14-2010, 06:55 PM
five 0
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Steve
I may have sent you the following. If not here are mine.
105381D standard barrel
108220D heavy barrel
109127D U S electro penciled on receiver heavy barrel
113332D U S electro penciled on receiver heavy barrel
Non matching bolts on the U S marked receivers
Old 02-14-2010, 07:56 PM
Strawman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Steve, I have E124344, and from what I've been told, it's one of the 37 International Prone Stock configurations that came out of the Winchester factory.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2010, 09:21 PM
usmc69
US Marines Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
Does your data include information from George Stephens? Had sent him at least six D S/n's.
Old 02-14-2010, 09:57 PM
Seewin

TPC Rating: 
100% (59)
Quote:
Originally Posted by five 0 View Post
Steve
I may have sent you the following. If not here are mine.
105381D standard barrel
108220D heavy barrel
109127D U S electro penciled on receiver heavy barrel
113332D U S electro penciled on receiver heavy barrel
Non matching bolts on the U S marked receivers
That is an early D! It is the second earliest D that I show. Interesting in that all the very early D's I have listed are standard weight barrels???
Steve
Old 02-14-2010, 09:58 PM
Seewin

TPC Rating: 
100% (59)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strawman View Post
Steve, I have E124344, and from what I've been told, it's one of the 37 International Prone Stock configurations that came out of the Winchester factory.
Strawman, would love to see pics of this gun. I do not show any Prones in that s/n area. I assume it has the matte finish on barrel and receiver?
Steve
Old 02-14-2010, 10:01 PM
Seewin

TPC Rating: 
100% (59)
Quote:
Originally Posted by usmc69 View Post
Does your data include information from George Stephens? Had sent him at least six D S/n's.
George's and my data were combined early on in this project. So yes, your guns should be in the list already. That is how George and I got hooked up years ago. In corresponding with each other, we found that we were both creating data bases. My original intent was just to collect info on the E's. George seemed to be more interested in the D's, so it worked out great. I just gave him all the numbers I had collected.
steve
Old 02-14-2010, 10:12 PM
David Valdina
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Barefoot Bay, Florida and Cape Cod, Massachusetts
TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
My two for you...

Winchester 52C # 103365C
Winchester 52D # 109752D
Old 02-14-2010, 10:23 PM
Seewin

TPC Rating: 
100% (59)
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Valdina View Post
Winchester 52C # 103365C
Winchester 52D # 109752D
Thanks for the numbers. Is the D a commercial or CMP rifle. Heavy barrel or std wt? Marksman stock?
Thanks,Steve
Old 02-14-2010, 10:30 PM
David Valdina

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
On the D model

It is at Cape Cod and I am in Florida. Sorry, don't remember. If you think of it, ask me in May. [email protected] I have the C model here in Florida.
Old 02-14-2010, 10:35 PM
David Valdina

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Look what I just found for you...

I found this in saved e-mails:

To: George Stephens, aka, HEWLETTHEWLETT2
Re: Your post on RimfireCentral.com

Dear George:

oneraggedhole posted ad # 15005 for a Winchester 52D, and I am buying it. He advises the serial # is 109752D Ad below. Hope this is of some value. Let me know if you would like more info. I have not received it yet.

Sincerely, David

U.S. marked, Winchester 52 D Prone, heavy barrel, all original and complete but no handstop.

Serial number shows a 1963 date of manufacture.

Redfield International Match rear sight and Redfield Olympic globe front sight.

Included in the original Redfield packaging are ten Redfield Olympic inserts. Five metal and five plastic. All are in like new condition.

Bore and chamber have been borescoped and are in excellent condition. Bright and shiney and with well defined lands and grooves. Bolt locks up tight and ejection is brisk.

Wood shows very minor handling marks. No dents or dings. Metal is excellent with some minor and very light finishing scratches on the barrel. None are so deep as to be into the metal. I have tried to photograph the rifle so that no stone is unturned. I belive the pictures show aspects of the rifle's condition.

Rifle is in overall very good to excellent condition. I have captured all of the dings as shown in the pictures.

Absolutely no rust or signs of abuse at all.

Action is in excellent condition, it is smooth and locks up tight, the chamber and bore have all been bore scoped and are in excellent condition.

This rifle is unmolested. No modifications, no bedding, no spot bluing, nothing.
Old 02-14-2010, 10:39 PM
Seewin

TPC Rating: 
100% (59)
David,
Thanks, that number falls in right between several other U.S. marked rifles as well. Just wanted to verify.
Steve
Old 02-15-2010, 12:50 AM
jGEE

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seewin View Post
Thought I would start a new thread on this subject. As of now I have over 350 D numbers and right at 200 E numbers.
Steve
Do you guys want this is a sticky.. seems to be a good idea. joe
Old 02-15-2010, 09:41 AM
Seewin

TPC Rating: 
100% (59)
Joe, that sounds like a good idea.
Steve
Old 02-15-2010, 09:59 AM
varmintjager

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Steve,

I gave this information to George last year on my CMP 52D. Here it is again if you need it.

Serial # 119295D US marked on the receiver.

Heavy barrel 28" 1-1/16"at receiver and .875" at muzzle,flat crown in the white.

Redfield Olympic front sight and International receiver sight.

Factory trigger and hand stop and markman stock with rear sling swivel.

Bolt does not have the serial number etched on it. George had told me that this was fairly common on the CMP 52D's.

Last edited by varmintjager; 02-15-2010 at 10:08 AM.