Picture essay on replacing the Marlin bullseye - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-03-2010, 01:15 PM
stubbfarmer
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)

My understanding is that when Marlin started putting the bullseye in it was so if you were looking at a rack of rifles you could pick the Marlins out quickly and easily. Still works well at Gun Shows. It does not seem any different than the pistol manufactures putting their logos in the grips on the medallions. Another hint is to use a white 5-gallon bucket like dry wall mud comes in for the butt plate spacer, as they are thicker, about the same thickness as the originals.
Old 01-03-2010, 01:23 PM
dreamer56

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Great post - nice work - wonder if anyone did get one free from Marlin in the past couple years - did not know they would do that - thanks all.
Old 01-03-2010, 01:27 PM
Fast Frank
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Picher
I'd prefer that my rifles didn't have the bullseye; it's just a way of putting advertising on guns
While I agree that big, tacky advertisement on a gun looks bad, I'm feeling differently about the Marlin Bull's eye.

With the Marlin, it's a matter of tradition.

I have a Model 39 that's 60 years old this year. It would be like desecration of a shrine to remove the bull's eye from that old girl.

It was made by Marlin to be that way, and has endured all these years to still be a wonderful shooter for me today with the bull's eye there in the stock. Not only would it reduce the rifle's value to remove it, but it would just be wrong in my eyes. That rifle has clearly earned the right to be what it is.

I also have a Model 39 that was made in this century.

It is very clearly the younger sister, and looks almost identical to the old one... right down to the bull's eye in the stock.

That rifle too is steeped in tradition and removing the trademark would be equally wrong and insulting to both rifles.

If I loose one of those bull's eye marks, I WILL replace it.

Thanks for the informative how- to!

Last edited by Fast Frank; 01-03-2010 at 02:13 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2010, 01:51 PM
Sakoluvr
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Picher View Post
I never grasped the "bullseye" concept and mounted several rear swivels there. I was surprised that the new 39A had both a bullseye and a factory swivel.

I'd prefer that my rifles didn't have the bullseye; it's just a way of putting advertising on guns, like logo pistol grip caps. Never liked it on my guns, never will.

I think the bullseye just looks cool. I know a lot of folks who hate white line spacers, but they are what they are and period correct. Even my Mannlicher Schoenauers have them, and I be darned if I would ruin the "factory" configuration because of white line spacers.

Last edited by Sakoluvr; 01-03-2010 at 01:54 PM.
Old 01-03-2010, 03:27 PM
powwowell

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Yes for a sticky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamer56 View Post
Great post - nice work - wonder if anyone did get one free from Marlin in the past couple years - did not know they would do that - thanks all.
Yes, they are. I called and got one two weeks ago. I actually asked for two and they sent me two. I'm glad I did. I read where one bullseye would make two, if you cut them in half. I did that, applied my glue and pounded it in with a plastic faced hammer. The rear of the bullseye is slightly below the stock. I went ahead and finished it up, but I know that I'll drill and pick it out. I'm glad I have the second one to work with. When I do, I'll follow Sakoluvr's directions explicitly.

This is another vote for a sticky.
Old 01-03-2010, 04:24 PM
rundownfid

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thank you for a very informative post. I'll have to get buys and replace the few I am missing.
Old 01-03-2010, 04:50 PM
LDThornton

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Picher View Post
I never grasped the "bullseye" concept and mounted several rear swivels there. I was surprised that the new 39A had both a bullseye and a factory swivel.

I'd prefer that my rifles didn't have the bullseye; it's just a way of putting advertising on guns, like logo pistol grip caps. Never liked it on my guns, never will.
The bullseye signifies that the stock is solid walnut and not really advertising per say. Granted, mistakes have been made at the factory and a few laminates and maybe even a birch stock or two have mistakenly received a bullseye.
Old 01-03-2010, 05:30 PM
stubbfarmer
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
When Remington bought Marlin, they quit putting the bullseye in for a short time. So many people complained they reinstated it.
Old 01-03-2010, 07:45 PM
Don Fenton
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Several weeks ago I bought a laminated stock from Numrich p/n 1137180 for a Marlin 25N or 880, it came with a "bullseye" installed.

COOL

Don
Old 01-04-2010, 09:13 AM
Ohio_boy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete44ru View Post
FWIW, replacement white line spacers are easily cut from the side of a large/empty/CLEAN/white household bleach or detergent plastic bottle.

I slice the donor bottle in half, flatten out one side and use the BP to trace an outline on the white plastic with a pencil.

I then cut out the outline - AT LEAST 1/4" OUTSIDE THE LINE.

Since I also used the pencil to mark the BP screw holes on the plastic, it's a simple matter to punch the two holes with an empty .22 cartridge case ( and a hammer )

After the replacement white line spacer's secured to the buttstock via the BP & screws, it's a snap to carefully pare off the excess material with a small/SHARP penknife blade.

I replaced two butt spacers on older 39's, but I used a plastic wash basin from Wally world. I think it cost me $2, or $3. The thickness of the plastic was closer to the original spacer, and was easier to file down to match the stock, and butt plate...
Old 01-04-2010, 09:21 AM
Sakoluvr

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Excellent idea with the wash basin. The material used will be flat and heavy duty too. I will have to try it that way. Hmmmm.......can also go for custom colors I suppose. Pink for the ladies?
Old 01-04-2010, 09:43 AM
Old Dutch
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Fenton View Post
Several weeks ago I bought a laminated stock from Numrich p/n 1137180 for a Marlin 25N or 880, it came with a "bullseye" installed.

COOL

Don
Don,

I suspect the stock originally came from Marlin. Does it have the Marlin logo on the rubber butt plate?
Old 01-04-2010, 12:47 PM
Eric0424

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I bought two new Marlin rifles in 2005 neither one had the bullseye in the stock. One was a Model 60 with the laminate, the other was a 917V with a solid wood stock, both were walnut-finished hardwood. They just don't say what hard-wood it is.
Old 01-05-2010, 08:08 AM
Sakoluvr

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rimfire Frank View Post
While I agree that big, tacky advertisement on a gun looks bad, I'm feeling differently about the Marlin Bull's eye.

With the Marlin, it's a matter of tradition.

I have a Model 39 that's 60 years old this year. It would be like desecration of a shrine to remove the bull's eye from that old girl.

It was made by Marlin to be that way, and has endured all these years to still be a wonderful shooter for me today with the bull's eye there in the stock. Not only would it reduce the rifle's value to remove it, but it would just be wrong in my eyes. That rifle has clearly earned the right to be what it is.

I also have a Model 39 that was made in this century.

It is very clearly the younger sister, and looks almost identical to the old one... right down to the bull's eye in the stock.

That rifle too is steeped in tradition and removing the trademark would be equally wrong and insulting to both rifles.

If I loose one of those bull's eye marks, I WILL replace it.

Thanks for the informative how- to!
Rimfire frank, did your marlins come with the yellow tape/tags on the levers too? <grin>
Old 01-05-2010, 11:59 PM
Glock2240

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via AIM to Glock2240
I agree, this needs to be a sticky

Quote:
Originally Posted by vepr762 View Post
I agree, this should be a sticky. This is the way to do it......correctly.
Will the Moderator please make this thread "A Sticky"

Tim