Adding a Saddle Ring to Your Rifle - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-07-2009, 12:30 PM
COSteve
US Army Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Adding a Saddle Ring to Your Rifle

For those of you who've thought about adding a saddle ring to give your Henry some spice but aren't sure what it will cost of how to do it, here's a simple writeup showing what to get and how to install it. I prefer adding the saddle ring in it's one threaded hole as using one of the cover holes leaves the ring far too low on the receiver for my tastes.

BTW, the picture below shows one on my 357mag Rossi carbine but adding it to a Henry's receiver cover is even simpler because the cover is a softer metal and therefore, easier to drill and tap.

I decided upon a stud type saddle ring originally first used on a Win '94 instead of the staple type normally found on '92 models because of the the much easier process and the lack of room under the Henry's receiver cover to mount it. I checked the internet for pictures of Win '94s with saddle rings so I had the correct placement for it.

I checked around and found a saddle ring at Numrich's for only $3.15 so I bought a couple (never know when you'll need another one).

Then I checked out Brownells for a 8-40 tap @ $5.99 and #28 drill bit @ $4.99.

Preparation and installation is really quite simple. One just needs to remove the receiver cover (5 screws) and set up it on some wood blocks to keep it level and protect the finish, then just mark the spot on the receiver cover and tap it with a drill set, and you're ready to carefully drill the hole.

After cleaning the chips out of the hole, take the tap and carefully set at cutting the threads in the cover. Cutting them is easy as the cover is soft material and the tap will cut through it like butter.

Be sure and run the tap all the way in to clean out the threads. Then all you'll need to do is screw in the stud with a bit of Loctite™ and your Henry will look something like this.

So, if you're thinking about adding a saddle ring to your levergun go ahead and give it a try. With a bit of care, it's relatively simple and cheap ($14.15) to add one and the finished product looks very good.

I haven't added the other saddle ring to my Henry yet because my Williams peep sight is mounted above where it would go and I'm thinking that the two together would look cluttered. BTW, I d&t'd the two holes that hold the sight on and they were simple as pie.

Last edited by COSteve; 05-02-2014 at 04:41 PM.
Old 10-07-2009, 02:23 PM
vetsvette
US Air Force Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (19)
Pretty work COsteve. This will be one of my winter projects. Thanks for the information.
Old 10-07-2009, 03:26 PM
CKB
US Coast Guard Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Nice!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2009, 04:23 PM
Thrackmoor

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I like that ring.

Thrackmoor
Old 10-07-2009, 04:52 PM
Rick-F
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Here is one on a Henry H001T (Silver Sheriff)

As COSteve indicated, this is a very simple, easy operation. I put my ring a bit forward of the position Winchester used on the 1894; it was intentional.

Last edited by Rick-F; 10-09-2009 at 08:48 AM.
Old 10-07-2009, 05:36 PM
Pete44ru
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
86% (9)
I used the "EASY' button, since I'm a big K.I.S.S. fan - and simply screwed in a post-64 Winchester 94 saddle ring into a receiver cover screw hole - the threads are identical.

Last edited by Pete44ru; 09-27-2013 at 01:14 PM.
Old 10-07-2009, 11:18 PM
Rick-F

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Thanks for the idea Pete-- it was your original post that inspired me to add the saddle ring to mine. At first I did it exactly like you did. Later when I added the tang sight, I went ahead and drilled and tapped another hole for the saddle ring.
Old 02-21-2013, 07:15 AM
22Target
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
That looks great, and and I would love to add one to my Henry. But, I`m a left hand shooter and looks like it would get in my way. Would it look right, if I added it to the right side?
Old 02-21-2013, 02:31 PM
22Target
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlysAlot View Post
Hey it's your gun, I say go for it! I'll bet a leftie would appreciate it!!!
Ya, I just dont want it to look wierd. The original ones were all on the left I believe. Thanks for answering so fast tho.
Old 02-22-2013, 01:09 PM
kitkin

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Ok I totally confused
In one post its recommended to tap the hole for 8-40 then in another post it is stated The ring stud is the same thread as the original screws but the original screw is 8-36.
Can anyone tell us the what the actual threads are on the post 94 ring stud?
Old 02-26-2013, 12:15 PM
Rick-F

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
The four cover screws on my Henrys are 8-40 . . . same as the saddle ring . . . This not to say you're mistaken-- they may have produced some with 8-36 threads. After all, "older" Henrys have a larger rear sight dovetail than the newer ones.
Old 02-26-2013, 09:52 PM
kitkin

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Dang I checked them again and by my thread gauge they are 8-36 on both my Henry's. Mine are relatively new production. Gotta get a magnifier and look again tomorrow.
Old 03-25-2013, 07:42 PM
Butcherbob880

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thumbs up

That would be the cats behind .In brass,for my golden boy.22LR.Thanks now ya got me going.LOL
Old 09-16-2013, 12:15 PM
anthonyawaken

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Part Availability?

Great looking modification here! Anyone know of a place where these are currently in stock? I checked Numrich but they're all out of stock.

I found them on eBay....for around $30!! Shooweee....I like $4 a lot better

(also, Pete - I like your idea for screwing it right into the existing screw-hole.)
Old 09-18-2013, 04:01 PM
GD45

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I found some at homestead parts but wasn't sure which would be better, the pre or post 64 ring. Anyone have any advice? The pre 64 ring seemed to have a thicker screw attached to the stud.